+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [GUIDE] Moving /Applications to /private/var/root to free up disk space

is a discussion within the

Windows Specific Modding Discussion

forums, a part of the

Computer Modding Software

section;
Originally Posted by rianbattle no...the ringtones should be stored in the /Library/Ringtones folder using the method regarding replacing the MeCCa file...what did the error say that you got? it's just
    Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rianbattle View Post
    no...the ringtones should be stored in the /Library/Ringtones folder using the method regarding replacing the MeCCa file...what did the error say that you got?
    it's just error uploading... but when i execute 'df' in terminal, it shows 99% full
    so now i upload ringtones to ~/Library/Ringtones
    then i make a symbolic link from /Library/Ringtones and it works perfectly fine

by transferring files between these folders and doing 'df', i can see that i am indeed saving space by moving them to ~/Library/Ringtones

thanx

Green Apple
    Thanks

ok now heres a question, if i do this thing..moving application folder what is happening with new programs that i instal over illstaler ? do they go to new folder or to old one ?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shoe View Post
    ok now heres a question, if i do this thing..moving application folder what is happening with new programs that i instal over illstaler ? do they go to new folder or to old one ?
    they'll be put into the new folder...the installer will try to put them in the /Applications, but the /Applications directory is really a shortcut(symlink) to the new ROOT_Applications directory, and so they end up there.
    Peter: "Brian! There's a message in my alphabits! It says 'OOOOOOOOO'!!!!!"
    Brian: "Peter...those are Cheerios."

Guides:
    Moving Applications into the Media Partition to get more space for third party apps

Green Apple
    Thanks

thanks now i might even consider doing this

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have done everything u said here and the result is my iphone with all the icons of the apps but none of them working. I press the icons and nothing happens. Please help!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have move all my applications to the media partitions using the symlink method as mention. Everything seems to went fine untill one day the phone suddenly wont boot. As it wont boot, I could not do the symlink reverse and have to do a restore. After restored, the phone works fine, but when SSH into the phone /Applications. NOTHING WAS THERE ?? Couldnt install anymore applications through SSH and the guide on reversing the symlink WILL NOT WORK IF YOU DID IT AFTER THE RESTORE OR UPGRADE!!

Just want to let all the guys know that moving the applications is RISKY if ur phone suddenly crash and u cant do a reverse.

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

hmmm.if you do the one thats in the wiki it puts them in the var/root,,and that allways gets restored on a update or a restore!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjgsxr883 View Post
    hmmm.if you do the one thats in the wiki it puts them in the var/root,,and that allways gets restored on a update or a restore!!
    Do you have the link to the wiki guide, I have seen it before and looks like the same. I move my applications to private/var/root. By the way, how do I check my disk space left ? Cant find a guide on that. Thanks.

Thanks

http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Mov...edia_Partition..and to check diskspace..just type df in terminal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by jedinight; 11-18-2007 at 10:32 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That is exactly what I did, I followed every steps including removing the noexec. After i restored and upgraded, when I ssh into the application directory, I got and error 2 message saying cannot find var/root/ROOT_Application directory when I am actually trying to open Application directory ?

To add on, removing the symlink did not work after the upgrade as the application directory could not be link or open anymore. So what I did was I did the reverse of the guide in this way:

cp -R /private/var/root/ROOT_Applications /Applications

rm -rf /private/var/root/ROOT_Applications && ln -s /Applications /private/var/root/ROOT_Applications

After that I delete the shortcut ROOT_Applications that was created and the Application folder can once again open with all the applications listed.
    Last edited by shoei; 11-18-2007 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

verified this is working on 1.1.2

Green Apple
    Thanks

verified this is working on 1.1.2.
    does this work on 1.1.2 . I just jailbreak and dont want to screw it up, it took me forever to do. lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello all, My first post -=)

I followed the instructions of Wiki and went through the steps... i moved the folders, checked the primissions, and linked the dir... now when i reboot iphone its tries to load summboard icons than resets and does the same thing over and over. i used democracy 2 to virginize it hoping i can start over but after i did that it does the same thing. now i cant ssh into it and i cant connect to itunes to restore because it wont load the sim. is there anyways for me to access the computer via usb instead of wireless and what should i do to restore my phone?

Thanks in Advance

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had the same problem. I had to reboot my XP PC, then restore my 1.1.2 phone to 1.1.1. I then went through the 1.1.2 unlock process. Beginning after the anySim step.

Thanks

i dont think you have to do this with the new 1.1.2 firmware and the latest installer. Can anyone else verify this? I haven't hitted yet. It just brings up the message disk space is running out. But i just keep installing and installing and nothing happens.

Thanks

nope.it doesn't work on 1.1.2 . fstab is already as mentioned above and /private/var seems to be Read-Only.I can't copy Application folder...

CORRECTION:It works with 1.1.2!
    Last edited by tonydeli7; 11-24-2007 at 04:48 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone techgirl's Avatar
    Thanks

I see that some of us seem to have this hack working with 1.1.2, but every time I do it, and I mean every time, as I have had to reset 5 times and even lived without my phone for one week, I get the same, app gone, swirly waiting signal, no access problem. May Erica Sadun's widget folder one works better? Am I possibly doing something wrong? Everythng works, until the next am, then here we go...

Thanks
    Linds

Thanks

hay do it this way...it for sure works fine!!!!!!!!!!!http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Mov...tion...trustme!!

Thanks
    This works for me, 1.1.2, but i found fstab had the bit to take out already taken out, but i just copied and pasted the commands and they worked a treat, spot on, does that mean i have up to 8 gig (i know it wont actually be the full 8 gg) to install apps???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjgsxr883 View Post
    hay do it this way...it for sure works fine!!!!!!!!!!!http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Mov...tion...trustme!!
    that guide doesn't have any text...if you were pointing to http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Mov...edia_Partition then that is my guide which is the first post of this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by mattbrown View Post
    This works for me, 1.1.2, but i found fstab had the bit to take out already taken out, but i just copied and pasted the commands and they worked a treat, spot on, does that mean i have up to 8 gig (i know it wont actually be the full 8 gg) to install apps???
    basically, yea...as you said it isn't the full 8 gigs but you'll have more than enough space. i didn't check the fstab file when i went up to 1.1.2 since it was just an upgrade and i did it on 1.1.1 i figured it would remain the same, but thank you for that piece of information.

as for the folks having problems with this guide, my first guess would be that the fstab file is getting messed up when you edit it...be very careful with what you delete from it and make a back up as it says in the guide, and restore the backup if it doesn't work right. i'm sorry for the trouble it's caused you...as you can see, some can get it to work perfectly and others can't...this leads me to believe there is an app or two that may be messing this up that some of you have installed and others don't(though i don't see how that could affect it, it is a possibility) or it could be the fstab file. it seems to be that with a lot of the mods that only some can get it to work and others can't.

have those of you who have succeeded in doing this unlocked your phones? or has anyone that has gotten messed up not unlocked? i noticed that one of the folks that got their phone messed up said they used anysim...perhaps unlocked phones can't do this for some reason? my phone which is worked perfectly on several times during testing was on 1.1.1 and is now on 1.1.2, never unlocked, only jailbroken.
    Last edited by rianbattle; 11-26-2007 at 03:24 PM.
    Peter: "Brian! There's a message in my alphabits! It says 'OOOOOOOOO'!!!!!"
    Brian: "Peter...those are Cheerios."

Guides:
    Moving Applications into the Media Partition to get more space for third party apps