Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Modding your iPhone for Windows 102

Default Modding your iPhone for Windows 102
    Modding your iPhone for Windows 102

In this post we will learn how to install custom ringtones, (lightly touch on) creating ringtones, changing carrier logos and some other misc images. If you did not read/or complete Modding your iPhone for Windows 101 then please take a look at it and make sure your iPhone is open for customization.

Things you will need for for Modding your iPhone for Windows 102:
    1. audacity [Download] (free audio editor)
    2. lame MP3 codec [Download] (free mp3 plugin for audacity)
    3. adobe photoshop [Download trial] (you can use anything almost, but i use photoshop , gimp is a free version of photoshop)
    4. Telegraphics ICOplugin [Download]

** Iam not gonna explain how to install these programs, all of them come with very good instructions and can be installed with a little bit of reading, if you are using gimp some steps may be different, also if you are using any other version of photoshop besides cs2 **

Once you have downloaded and installed all the above software move on.

ADDING A CUSTOM RINGTONE

STEP 1
    Getting a ringtone
    There are many ways to get a ringtone the main format were going to use today is the most common audio format out there, MP3. So if you have an MP3 you have a ringtone. Iam going to teach you a way to get a ringtone from any song you downloaded or have in iTunes.
    1. Open iTunes
    2. Open Audacity
    3. in Audacity set the drop down box in the far right corner to Stereo Mix
    ** there may be issues with certain audio cards not working with audacity, if you do not see a stereo mix or mono mix you may want to try to get a regular mp3, open the MP3 in audacity and move to #9 **
    4. in iTunes queue up the song you wish to have turned into a ringtone.
    5. press the Record button in Audacity
    6. press the Play button in iTunes
    ** in audacity you should see sound waves moving through the new window, if not its not recording **
    7. once the song is complete, press Stop in audacity
    8. using the audacity tools, the icon in the top left corner of the screen, which kind of looks like the letter 'I' that you can use to cut the song.
    9. drag the area that you want to 'delete' and press the delete button.
    ** if its not deleting make sure you stopped recording **
    ** try to make your ringtone between 30-60 seconds, this is not only to save space, but to make it efficent so it just doesnt sound like your iPhone is playing the ipod music **
    10. export in MP3, go to File
    11. go to Export As Mp3
    12. press ok a few times and save it in your Cphonedmg folder
    ** the file name you save as will be the name that appears in your ringtone list **

STEP 2
    The following process is CASE SENSITIVE, meaning that you need to follow the uppercase and lowercase of the directories and file names.
    Uploading your ringtone
    ** make sure your phone is docked and itunes is closed **
    1. start iphoneinterface
    2. type: mkdir /var/root/Library/Ringtones
    3. type: putfile /var/root/Library/Ringtones/<your ringtone>.mp3
    ** example: putfile /var/root/Library/Ringtones/myhumps.mp3 **
    4. type: quit
    5. reboot your iPhone (hold the power button for a few seconds until the red slider appears and slide to turn off, wait a few seconds then turn back on by pressing the power button)
    OR
    5. take your iPhone off the dock and re-dock it, this should force itunes to resync if it does not, sync it with itunes and your songs will appear.

ADDING A CUSTOM CARRIER LOGO

Step 1
    Getting a carrier logo
    The following process is CASE SENSITIVE, meaning that you need to follow the uppercase and lowercase of the directories and file names.
    Carrier logos are the logos that appear near your reception bar at the top left corner of the iPhone by default it says AT&T. Follow these instructions to change this icon to a custom one of your choice. The first half of the instructions will be about creating a simple one. The dimensions which I use is 44x20px. We will use that in our demonstrations, you can use a larger canvas.
    1. open Adobe Photoshop CS2
    2. create a new image with a transparent background and the width of 44px and a height of 20px.
    3. from here your imagination is the instructions.
    ** you should make two images one (Default_CARRIER_ATT.png) will be against a black background so you should make it any color but black, the second (FSO_CARRIER_ATT.png) will be against a grayish background so it can be black and any color but gray or even white. **
    4. once you completed it save it as Default_CARRIER_ATT.png and save it in the Cphonedmg folder
    5. change the color of the image (unless you used a color other than white or gray for example if you used white for the first image then you need to change the color) you can do this simply by going to image->adjustment->hue/staturations and move the bars around until you get the right color
    6. once you completed it save it as FSO_CARRIER_ATT.png and save it in the Cphonedmg folder
    ** make sure you save them as interlaced **
    ** make sure your phone is docked and iTunes is closed **
    7. start iphoneinterface
    8. type: cd /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app
    9. type: putfile /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/Default_CARRIER_ATT.png
    10. type: putfile /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/FSO_CARRIER_ATT.png
    11. type: quit
    12. restart your phone (hold the power button until the red slider appears and slide to turn off, turn on the phone by pressing the power button)
    13. your carrier icon has changed.

ADDING A CUSTOM ICON

Step 1
    This final section we will be adding in a custom icon into your home screen. I will not be showing you how to 'create' your own. I will tell you that the normal icons are 60x60px, however, its not a rule and it can be ANY size you want. Just remember that the button itself is about a 60x60px area where you can actually press to make it go off.
    1. get an icon (you can download packs or turn desktop icons into buttons by opening them in photoshop and resizing them '60x60 is prefered' , also make sure the background is transparent if you want it to be a true button)
    2. save graphic as icon.png and interlaced and save it in the Cphonedmg folder
    3. start iphoneinterface
    ** this part will depend on what application icon you are trying to change, for this example we will use the stocks icon **
    4. type: cd /Applications/Stocks.app
    5. type: putfile /Applications/Stocks.app/icon.png
    6. type: quit
    7. restart your phone (hold the power button until the red slider appears and slide to turn off, turn on the phone by pressing the power button)
    8. your stocks icon on your home screen has now changed!

This not only works for the stock icon but for many many more, and all icons on the front screen. This process is basically the same for everything. Our wiki has a whole list of file names and where they belong
    you can find that here also if you want a backup file for all stock images on your iphone incase you want to restore it here.

VIOLA YOU HAVE COMPLETED MODDINGYOUR IPHONE FOR WINDOWS 102!

Be on the look out for part 3 of this series Modding your iPhone for Windows 103 (themes and skinning)
    Last edited by arthursdomain; 07-25-2007 at 12:22 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arthursdomain For This Useful Post:

bluaeon (07-24-2007), crystldawn (09-18-2007), smokin (10-17-2007)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

Awesome! I'll Wiki this thing up tonight when I get home!

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

bluaeon (07-24-2007)

whew! very informative... Thank you very much!!

I used the same program before but i use a much shorter way to make mp3 to ringtone...

what i do is:

open mp3 in audacity
    listen to which part of song you want to make into a ring tone
    highlight part of the song
    go to Edit ---> Copy
    then File ---> New
    then Edit ---> Paste
    this will paste the copied part of the mp3 that you just copied
    then File ---> Export to MP3
    Save it to your favorite directory
    voila... you have your mp3 to load up to your phone as ring tone

EDIT: also, if you are using Manzana... the ringtone folder is located at /Library/Ringtone
    just want to clarify that cuz some might confused it by going to var/root/Library and they will get stumped that the Ringtone folder is not in it... like me. LOL!!
    Last edited by bluaeon; 07-24-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Modding has two d's. heh

I think im gonna have to do a 104 and 105 since new stuff are coming out. I should have the skin/theme one out by tomorrow sometime

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Modding has two d's. heh
    oops, heh, fixed... thats why im not an english teacher.
    Last edited by arthursdomain; 07-25-2007 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

No prob. Pm me to remind me, I'll Wiki this in the mornin.

I keep trying to put the new logo onto the iphone, but iphone interface crashes each time I use the command 'putfile /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/Default_CARRIER_ATT.png'

I have successfully used jailbreak, added a custom ringtone, etc, but I'm running into issues with this step.

Any advice?

check to make sure that the file your trying to putfile is located in your cphonedmg folder
    ARTHURSDOMAIN
    ModMyI.com Apps Reviewer

Retired ModMyi.com Moderator

Follow me on twitter: twitter.com/laynem

Reviewed Apps:
    Oregon Trail, Who Has The Biggest Brain, Lock Puzzle, Tweetie

Want an app reviewed? PM me with the app name

Thanks

Default removing a file
    does anyone know if you can remove a ringtone, i put in a song but i put the whole song, after i downloaded audacity though and was able to edit songs, i edited them and put them on my phone, i don't really feel like restoring my phone if i can avoid it, so does anyone know how to take off a ringtone that you no longer want on there? btw i already tried just removing from phonedmg, that doesn't do anything

Quote Originally Posted by footballfanatic28 View Post
    does anyone know if you can remove a ringtone, i put in a song but i put the whole song, after i downloaded audacity though and was able to edit songs, i edited them and put them on my phone, i don't really feel like restoring my phone if i can avoid it, so does anyone know how to take off a ringtone that you no longer want on there? btw i already tried just removing from phonedmg, that doesn't do anything
    to remove a ringtone with command line its
    rmdir /location/location/location/filename.extension

its easier in manzana , its just a right click and delete away
    ARTHURSDOMAIN
    ModMyI.com Apps Reviewer

Reviewed Apps:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to arthursdomain For This Useful Post:

footballfanatic28 (08-04-2007)

Default No Sound
    I can get the ringtones to the phone, and I can see them, but Im not getting any sound from them. Am I missing a step.. I know the hack works because I was able to do it with one song that I had. Im using windows vista, I DO HAVE THE UPGRADED 1.0.1 (but again It has worked for me)..
    any ideas.

Im having problem loading some ringing tones. I already crop my ringing tone but I cant load it to my Iphone. Can you tell how? It always says mkdir/var/root.... not found

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil0610 View Post
    Im having problem loading some ringing tones. I already crop my ringing tone but I cant load it to my Iphone. Can you tell how? It always says mkdir/var/root.... not found
    get iringtoner in the downloads section and use that, its the simplest thing ever, drag and drop.
    ARTHURSDOMAIN
    ModMyI.com Apps Reviewer

Reviewed Apps:

Default How To Remove Ringtone?
    Quote Originally Posted by arthursdomain View Post
    to remove a ringtone with command line its
    rmdir /location/location/location/filename.extension

its easier in manzana , its just a right click and delete away

i tried that command line and all i got was "Invalid switch - "var".

What do they mean when they say save the graphic as interlaced ?

dude, someone please help, for some odd reason, now my iphone won't be recognized on itunes? what do i do? this just happened recently, it use to work, but now it doesn't?

Icons won't seem to change for me...the dock changed but the first time I restarted the iPhone, the dock showed for a second then went back to the original dock. Then the next time I booted the phone, the new dock was there. The Icons however, refuse to change. any ideas what this is from?
    Last edited by plotkinworks; 09-15-2007 at 05:57 AM.

This is great - just thought I would let you know that my husband and I, after following the instructions for ringtones successfully, were also able to just copy an mp3 to the /Library/Ringtones folder and select it as a ringtone, without using Audacity. The benefit of using Audacity is being able to optimize the sound and length of the mp3 for use as a ringtone, but for those that want to do as little as possible, you can skip that step.

As someone that prefers a customized ringtone, I very much appreciate the instructions!

what if I'm not on AT&T?
    How do I change the icons?

Right now Mine just says "Roge..." (for Rogers in Canada)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast