Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Modding your iPhone for Windows 101

Default Modding your iPhone for Windows 101
    This will be the beginners guide to modding your iphone. This guide is for windows user only. For the sake of consistency and length, Iam going to be using a windows xp sp2 box.

Things you will need for Modding your iPhone for Windows 101
    1. jailbreak for windows [Download]
    2. iphoneinterface for windows (included in the jailbreak download)
    3. iTunesMobileDevice.dll [Download]
    4. software restore file [Download]
    5. WinRar (or equivalent) [Download]

**after you download WinRAR, install it. **

Once you have downloaded all of the above move on.

Step 1
    Create a folder called phonedmg on the C
    to do this do the following:
    1. go to START
    2. go to RUN
    3. type in the RUN command line: cmd
    4. press enter
    5. in the command window type: cd\
    6. you should see C>
    7. type in the command window: mkdir phonedmg
    8. press enter
    9. you should have a new folder called phonedmg

Step 2

Place all the files you downloaded (in compressed format) into the new phonedmg folder which is located in: Cphonedmg

Step 3
    Open the Cphonedmg folder in windows.
    1. open my computer
    2. open your c drive
    3. open the phonedmg folder
    (which now should contain all the files you downloaded except for winrar)

Step 4
    rename the file iPhone1,1_1.0_1A543a_Restore.ipsw to iPhone1,1_1.0_1A543a_Restore.zip

1. in the Cphonedmg folder window
    2. click on tools (at the top)
    3. click on folder options
    4. click on the view (tab)
    5. uncheck hide extensions for known file types
    6. click on ok
    7. right click on the iPhone1,1_1.0_1A543a_Restore.ipsw file
    8. click on rename
    9. change .ipsw to .zip
    10. press enter
    If you get this message, press Yes:

Step 5
    unzip or unrar all those files and extract them into the Cphonedmg folder
    1. right click on a file ending in .rar or .zip
    2. click on extract here
    ** the files you should be unziping/raring are: iPhone1,1_1.0_1A543a_Restore.zip and jailbreak11.zip **
    NOTE: jailbreak11.zip will unzip into a few folders copy all the contents from the jailbreak/jailbreak/windows folder (or something like that) and copy that into the Cphonedmg folder

Step 6
    getting started
    1. make sure that your phone is DOCKED and ON
    2. make sure that iTunes is SHUTDOWN
    ** make sure iTunes is fully closed and not in the system tray **

Step 7
    making the connection
    1. go to start
    2. go to run
    3. type in the run command line: cmd
    4. press enter
    5. type in the command window: cd\
    6. type in: cd phonedmg
    7. type in jailbreak

[I will insert screenshots later for now you can use the mac version, it looks the same]

8. there will be a point where it will ask you to:
    "hold the POWER and HOME buttons for approximately 25s."

The trick to this is make sure you hold it for long enough, press firmly and make sure that the dock does not get unhitched. Also hold it long enough and watch your command window, once it starts moving again, you can let go of the buttons. Keep holding until something on the command window happens.

Then there will be a lot of different text on the screen like "booting iphone" and "sending files" etc. be patient and wait till all of that is completed you will be rewarded

once that is completed it will give you final message and you are done. Once you have your prompt back (C>) then you can type in:
    iphoneinterface

and viola you are now interacting with the iphone windows style - congratulations!

Be on the lookout for Modding your iPhone for Windows 102 (ringtones, carrier logos, and more images!)
    and in Modding your iPhone for Windows 103 (themes and skins, MMi style !)

IMPORTANT NOTE: if you are having troubles either your getting locked up when updating or error messages of any kind while doing this process you may want to try this, its from hal128 from iphonealley.com
    The software update package

Now the package location varies so there's really only one reliable way to get it. Plug in your iPhone, and head into iTunes. Click the "Sync" button first (to be safe) and wait for the sync to finish.

Then hit the Restore button.

Confirm that you do want to restore (even though you don't) by hitting Restore.

Click through the dialogs but when the update starts downloading, unplug your iPhone. This will make sure your iPhone won't get overwritten.

Wait for the package to finish downloading (you can track it in the Downloads area of iTunes).

When it finishes you'll get an error message. Ignore it.

Now go to your Start Menu, click Run, and copy this into the Run box:

%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

And hit OK. A file window should pop up containing one file that starts with iPhone. Check whether it ends with ".ipsw" - if it doesn't, you'll have to turn on file extension display by going to the Tools menu -> Folder Options -> View tab -> Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Right-click the iPhone update file and choose "Rename". Give it the name "iPhone.zip" and press Enter, and confirm that you want to change the extension.

Now double-click the file to open its contents. Extract them all to some folder, say "cphonedmg". The rest of this article assumes you extracted the files there.

iTunesMobileDevice.dll

This one's easy. Start, run:

CProgram Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin

Copy iTunesMobileDevice.dll into cphonedmg .
    Last edited by arthursdomain; 07-28-2007 at 10:37 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to arthursdomain For This Useful Post:

ibz (11-01-2007), illbond (05-01-2008), matthewiverson (07-30-2007), SHarbour15 (07-24-2007), skyote (10-29-2007), TyWebb (08-18-2007)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

AWESOME!

You gonna Wiki it, or shall I?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

i wasnt even done yet and you commented! lol, if you could be so kind as to wiki this, i would be most appreciative... me and the wiki just dont get along

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Wiki'd up!

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigorangekitty's Avatar
    Thanks

Default help
    help...this is where i'm at:

ok...trying this...
    first off, followed directions... had to do this in windows c:

c:>cphonedmg is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

so i tried:

c>cphonedmg\jailbreak
    [jailbreak 1.1] by ziel & natetrue w/ special thanks to GeoHot, iZish, roxfan, Nighwatch and the rest of the #iphone-dev crew
    looking for iphone...
    USBmuxlistenerCreate: No Error

PLEASE HELP! where do i go from here?
    it seems to be stuck at this command.

** the files you should be unziping/raring are: iPhone1,1_1.0_1A543a_Restore.zip and jailbreak11.zip **

If you simply rename the file to a zip as in the previous step, it will not extract, so ... rename it, zip it, or leave it?

Found other instructions on another site, got it working.
    Last edited by smoovie; 07-25-2007 at 04:43 PM.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Which step did you have an issue with, we'll adjust it.

Quote Originally Posted by smoovie View Post

If you simply rename the file to a zip as in the previous step, it will not extract, so ... rename it, zip it, or leave it?

Found other instructions on another site, got it working.

actually those ** are just for informational sake and are not ment to be an instruction persay. its just to remind you that the files you should be extracting in the above mentioned steps are those two files, incase you were somewhat lost or didnt know what files we were extracting

so follow these steps with that file
    7. right click on the iPhone1,1_1.0_1A543a_Restore.ipsw file
    8. click on rename
    9. change .ipsw to .zip
    10. press enter

Step 5
    unzip or unrar all those files and extract them into the Cphonedmg folder
    1. right click on a file ending in .rar or .zip
    2. click on extract here

hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by bigorangekitty View Post
    help...this is where i'm at:

ok...trying this...
    first off, followed directions... had to do this in windows c:

c:>cphonedmg is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

so i tried:

c>cphonedmg\jailbreak
    [jailbreak 1.1] by ziel & natetrue w/ special thanks to GeoHot, iZish, roxfan, Nighwatch and the rest of the #iphone-dev crew
    looking for iphone...
    USBmuxlistenerCreate: No Error

PLEASE HELP! where do i go from here?
    it seems to be stuck at this command.
    this is a typo on my part, it should be
    type: cd phonedmg
    type: jailbreak

let me know if that fixes it.
    Last edited by arthursdomain; 07-25-2007 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ok? I'm lost. I was able to follow all the steps to the end. I entered iphoneinterface on the command prompt and the results were "iphone:/#".
    What do I do next? Are the instructions missing something or did I just miss something. Help

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Ha, no, you are successful. Now you are inside your iPhone... what do you want to do?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

win1fight2 (07-25-2007)

When you're done modding the phone, do you need to put the iPhone back in 'jail' ?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMang For This Useful Post:

win1fight2 (07-25-2007)

Put the phone back in jail? Then what? I would like to use my current cingular sim card and not sure how to do that? Sorry for the noob questions.
    thanx

This guide is only for creating an interface to get access to the files, now you can put files on your iphone to mod it.

I did put my phone "back in jail" im not sure it is totally necessary , if you are having problems with syncing then , put the services.plist back. you can read about that in the mac version of this guide.

as far as your sim card, no one has yet 'unlocked' the iphone to be used with other cards. Why would you want to put a cingular card into your iphone?

Quote Originally Posted by arthursdomain View Post
    This guide is only for creating an interface to get access to the files, now you can put files on your iphone to mod it.

I did put my phone "back in jail" im not sure it is totally necessary , if you are having problems with syncing then , put the services.plist back. you can read about that in the mac version of this guide.

as far as your sim card, no one has yet 'unlocked' the iphone to be used with other cards. Why would you want to put a cingular card into your iphone?
    I have a current working cingular/sims card. I want to be able to use the iphone with that card so that I don't have to sign another 2 year contract. Is it even possible?
    thanx

Arthur, how did you put the iPhone back in jail? Just run jailbreak.exe again?

Maybe there's no need at all... my phone seems to be working ok being 'out of jail!'

Thanks

cd\phonedmg

Quote Originally Posted by BobMang View Post
    Arthur, how did you put the iPhone back in jail? Just run jailbreak.exe again?

Maybe there's no need at all... my phone seems to be working ok being 'out of jail!'
    imho if you can sync with itunes and you didnt lock it back up, then id leave it, like they say if it aint broke, dont fix it.

also yes you can type cd\phonedmg , im just a purist

Quote Originally Posted by win1fight2 View Post
    I have a current working cingular/sims card. I want to be able to use the iphone with that card so that I don't have to sign another 2 year contract. Is it even possible?
    thanx
    im not sure if that works, if anything put it in and try, but these steps covered in this tutorial will not allow that to happen if it already doesnt allow you to do that. These mods are merely facial and are graphical in nature. im curious , did you activate it?
    Last edited by arthursdomain; 07-26-2007 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

hmmm...

Sending More Files...
    Booting iPhone...

stuck at that for 10 mins now, how long is this suppose to take?

Default Jailbraked my iphone OS
    Ok, I am having problems with jailbrake. I have a Windows XP SP2. I followed what the guide asked me to do by loading all the files into one folder. started up jailbrake and held the power button and the home button for 25 seconds. The phone went into recovery mode and never came out. Obviously I have dont something wrong to I use itones to recover the OS back. what did I do wrong? Jailbrake never started loading the recovery software like I believe it should have.

Default im having issues also
    I'm running jailbreak on one of my old computers because I have a PPC mac. Its a windows 2000. I downloaded itunes 7.3 and all. Downloaded all the neccessary software for jailbreak to work, unziped neccessary files, ran cmd, typed cd\phonedmg, press enter,come up with cphonedmg>, type jailbreak. this is when I run into problems "The procedure entry point SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHELL32.dll." I've re-download itunesmobiledevice.dll several times. I've re-downloaded jailbreak several times. Nothing seems to work.
    any help?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast