Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: /bin/ permission denied...cross-device link?!?

Default /bin/ permission denied...cross-device link?!?
    so, i was following this tutorial:
    http://code.google.com/p/iphone-elite/wiki/MoveApps

which deals with moving the Applications directory into the media partition and creating a symlink to it to allow you to have more space for installing themes and apps and whatnot.

everything on my phone has been working great so far. i upgraded to 1.1.1 and got ssh setup, i have installer and have a bunch of themes and apps installed. i noticed that i'm running rather low on space, and i came across this in another thread. it worked for that user(can't remember who it was now), but when i tried it i got the error shown in the attached screenshot. also tried through winscp and got the same thing.

did i miss something somewhere along the way?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -error.jpg  
    Peter: "Brian! There's a message in my alphabits! It says 'OOOOOOOOO'!!!!!"
    Brian: "Peter...those are Cheerios."

Guides:
    Moving Applications into the Media Partition to get more space for third party apps

anyone? lol...i can't be the only one!
    Peter: "Brian! There's a message in my alphabits! It says 'OOOOOOOOO'!!!!!"
    Brian: "Peter...those are Cheerios."

Guides:
    Moving Applications into the Media Partition to get more space for third party apps

I also am having a problem with this:

# PATH=$PATH:/var/root/bin:/opt/iphone/bin
    # xwidg
    zsh: permission denied: xwidg

I just ended up doing this:

# mkdir ~/Applications
    # ln -s ~/Applications /Widgets

I was playing around with moving applications to ~/Applications but I haven't gotten any to work there yet. I'll have to fiddle some more...

of course, I backed up my Applications directory with the rest of my iPhone filesystem using WinSCP before doing any of this

You will also have

I got all my apps moved over to ~/Applications/ except for Lights Off.app and a couple of others.
    I was surprised to find that even maps, stocks, and many other preloaded apps worked fine there as well.

I did have to edit /etc/fstab

removing ',noexec' from line 2

Anyway, now I have a ton of free space on my root directory and can install more apps
    Last edited by intellectualpirate; 11-01-2007 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost