Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Keep wifi on even after phone is asleep

Default Keep wifi on even after phone is asleep
    Hi so I was was wondering if there's a way to keep wifi on after the phone's asleep. Yes I know there's insomnia but that decreases battery life by A LOT. is there anyway to have wifi periodically turn on after I lock my screen? The best way I can think of is turning mail to refresh every 15 minutes but i want one that can turn wifi on like maybe every minute or every 5 minutes. Thanks!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Under WiFi settings, hit the menu button, then hit Advanced. Set WiFi sleep to never. That should keep it from turning off.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob1 View Post
    Under WiFi settings, hit the menu button, then hit Advanced. Set WiFi sleep to never. That should keep it from turning off.

Wait... What menu bar??? I don't see any

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipodnew842 View Post
    Wait... What menu bar??? I don't see any
    i mean option button.

where exactly is this option button for wifi?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    where exactly is this option button for wifi?
    Going to WiFi setting what you have found?

Going to WiFi setting what you have found?
    when i go to settings>wifi, all i see is my SSID. if i click into that, only buttons i see are : wi-fi on/off amd ask to Join Networks on/off.

i dont see any options for "advance, WiFi sleep to never"
    Last edited by daytonaviolet; 01-25-2012 at 02:17 AM.

when i go to settings>wifi, all i see is my SSID. if i click into that, only buttons i see are : wi-fi on/off amd ask to Join Networks on/off.

Yea I agree. Can you explain what you mean?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Please Open the advanced WiFi settings by pressing the menu button, then Settings, Wireless & networks, WiFi settings, and tapping the menu button again. You'll have a choice to either Scan, or go Advanced -- go Advanced.
    Tap the WiFi sleep policy entry, and you'll get a pop up dialog with the choices Choose Never.

Please Open the advanced WiFi settings by pressing the menu button, then Settings, Wireless & networks, WiFi settings, and tapping the menu button again. You'll have a choice to either Scan, or go Advanced -- go Advanced.
    Tap the WiFi sleep policy entry, and you'll get a pop up dialog with the choices Choose Never.
    perhaps its a carrier thing, because those features are not available for me. the item in red is not available.

menu button, then Settings, Wireless & networks, WiFi settings, and tapping the menu button again. You'll have a choice to either Scan, or go Advanced -- go Advanced.

Can you take a screenshot of the process cuz like everyone here says, we don't have those options..

Are u doing this on an iPhone? Also what is a "Menu button?"

I own a 3GS, 4 & 4S. None of them have this, can u describe what idevice & iOS u are doing this on?

Thanks

I'd like to know what that guy is talking about aas well
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

What about keepawake?

On iPhone 4S I don't like the way WIFI turns ON and OFF.
    Before this I had a lot of Nokias (N900, N8, E7, N9...) and on all of them wireless was off, but once I opened the browser the message about turning on and connecting poped up, asking me to turn wireless on and on which wireless I want to connect).
    On 4S I have WI FI ON-OFF (settings, WI FI). It can be ON or OFF but not on demand. If I turn it off, it'll stay off. If I turn it on, it automaticaly connects to my WI FI and stays like that, even if browser/Store... are off. I don't want that. I want it to be like it was on Nokias - ON DEMAND.
    Im confident there's a way how to do it.
    Any advice?

Weird, but I think jacob1 is referring to an Android device. Here is "Wireless and networks" under settings on an Android:

As with regards to the iPhone, I can contribute to the topic by saying that at least when it comes to iPod Touch, there is no option whatsoever to set the sleep time for WiFi.

However, the odd thing is that my iPod Touch WiFi does is never disabled. I can confirm that, since I receive FB notifications straight away both on my PC and on the iPod. The auto-off might only be valid for the iPhone since battery would drain if both 3G/GSM and WiFi were on all the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -02wireless_and_networks.png  

I cannot find Auto off option.

i also can't see the not sleep button

iPhone WiFi, indeed gets deactivated after some time in sleep mode but only when running on battery. If you have your iPhone plugged in, the WiFi will stay on.

Edit: if you have your iPhone jail-broken, you can also use apps such as MyWi to turn WiFi tethering on - this will also keep the wifi alive. I am not sure however whether it will not drain battery even faster than with Insomnia.
    Last edited by Wyman; 04-27-2012 at 05:43 AM.

replying to an old thread i know.. Hope this helps someone..

though by default apple turns off wifi after 4-5 min when screen is locked, even i wanted my wifi to be turned on all the time when it is locked. none of the apps in cydia worked on my iphone 4 running 5.1.1. Tried keepawake, insomnia, prevent sleep, wifi port. None.

There is a weird workaround though. Use iRss notification widget along with ScreenDim. Set auto lock to never. iRss contacts with the server every 1 min or so for updates and keeps ur wifi turned on always and screendim shuts down the screen of ur iphone, no need to lock the phone anymore. Battery is obv gonna drain since wifi consumes more power than cellular..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast