+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone with no data plan??

is a discussion within the

Wiki Discussions

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
so i was just browsin online and here's the story: i want to get an iphone for at&t. (it cost $200) when you activate it, you have to get a
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Default iphone with no data plan??
    so i was just browsin online and here's the story:

i want to get an iphone for at&t. (it cost $200)
    when you activate it, you have to get a data plan (because its a smartphone)
    its like super expensive so if i activate it then jailbreak it and get that one tweak on cydia that one thing (i forget what its called) that basically blocks ALL 3g
    and then call at&t and have them cancel my data plan then will it be possible to get an iphone without a data plan?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipodnew842 View Post

its like super expensive so if i activate it then jailbreak it and get that one tweak on cydia that one thing (i forget what its called) that basically blocks ALL 3g
    and then call at&t and have them cancel my data plan then will it be possible to get an iphone without a data plan?
    is there any reason you dont just get an ipod touch?
    iPhone 4 gsm
    iPod Touch 4
    iPod Touch 2

Thanks
    so i can call and text....

Thanks

I don't know if that is possible but they will still know what phone you're using. I had the first gen phone with no data plan and AT&T randomly sent texts saying, I didn't have the appropriate phone plan and they could change my plan accordingly. That was a couple years ago.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default bring your own phone
    My suggestion is to buy a phone on ebay that is jailbroken and unlocked or do it yourself then buy a mygophone prepaid sim card plan from att and use that. This is the route that I took; I bought 1000 minutes for $100 which is ten cents a minute good for a year and unused minutes roll over. It works fine with my 2G and I'm assuming it would work just as well with a newer model. .
    Last edited by safoocat; 06-15-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks

I dont think ATT will let you have an iphone without a data plan.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iphone with ni data plan
    Quote Originally Posted by firstcherokeekid View Post
    I dont think ATT will let you have an iphone without a data plan.
    Of course ATT isn't going to give you a phone without a contract. That's why you need to supply your own phone. Once it's jailbroken and unlocked you can use it on the ATT network.

I have an ATT gophone sim card and I can use it pretty much any unlocked phone. I've used it in a Nokia, Blackberry, and iPhone as long as they are unlocked phones. If you take their phone you then have a two year contract and if you cancel data you will have to pay an early termination fee.

Thanks
    oh so the moment you call AT&T and ask to block 3G (so they don't charge you), they'll force you to pay a ton (for the early termination fee)?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't think we are on the same page. With a mygophone plan you just buy minutes and get a sim card. I don't know whether that's 3G or not or that it even matters. My iphone is a 2G so I know nothing about 3G; all I know is if your iPhone is unlocked you can use it with other carriers ie TMobile, Consumer Cellular, any GSM carrier that uses sim cards in their phones including ATT. You don't use it for data, just phone calls. For data you use wifi. Hope that helps

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 2g iphone imei changed - sorry for the book
    Hello Everyone,

First off, I believe that you shouldn't be penalized for having a "smart phone" by the carriers forcing you to have a data plan. Its like a luxury tax that is outdated. I think on a landline they still have a tax that was a luxury tax when only the wealthy could have a phone. The "smart phones" that we purchase for all the other uses they provide, but can't afford or don't need a data plan, shouldn't be forced into paying for a service we don't want at this time.

That being said, here is my story.

I purchase three 2g iphones from ebay because my carrier didn't offer them. I paid around $600 each. I used them with my carrier that I had been with for 6 years with no problems. Then Att purchased my carrier and I had to set up my account. I had informed the store salesman that I wanted a data block on all my lines. Then I received a bill from Att for $900 for data usage. Apparently the Iphone uses data when your not even trying to use it. They explained that they could not put a data block on a smart phone even when I explained to them that I didn't get a discount or purchase the phones with them, I paid full price. Didn't matter, but it should.

At that time I was forced into learning about jailbreaking and changing the imei# so they couldn't see that it was a smart phone. We all know data will become inexpensive and the norm for all at some point. I still am using the phones, but cannot upgrade due to the cost of the data plans and of course the times. I don' think it should be necessary to "illegally" change the imei#. This luxury data cost should simply be your option. I had to downgrade firmware, used Ziphone to change the imei, then used a pre-made upgrade 3.0 firmware that enabled me to retain the fake imei that I used from some trashed phones I had. I am still stuck with the 3.0, really seems unnecessary to me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I didn't change any IMEI number when I jailbroke/unlocked with kityra1n.
    How To Jailbreak
    use Firefox to download any files as IE corrupts one of the files.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by safoocat View Post
    I don't think we are on the same page. With a mygophone plan you just buy minutes and get a sim card. I don't know whether that's 3G or not or that it even matters. My iphone is a 2G so I know nothing about 3G; all I know is if your iPhone is unlocked you can use it with other carriers ie TMobile, Consumer Cellular, any GSM carrier that uses sim cards in their phones including ATT. You don't use it for data, just phone calls. For data you use wifi. Hope that helps

So you're saying i have to go to ebay and buy some iPhone off of there (for a fairly expensive cost)?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So you're saying i have to go to ebay and buy some iPhone off of there (for a fairly expensive cost)?
    I said you should buy your phone on ebay but I didn't say at a fairly expensive cost. Outside of craigslist ebay is likely the cheapest place to buy any phone. I've bought several phones on ebay and lots of electronics and usually get a good deal at a good price.

The key is to bide your time and wait for your price and not get into a bidding contest with anyone for a particular phone. You can search the ebay completed auctions and sort the results and see exactly what the high, low, and average prices are. There is no reason to pay higher than the average price and please look at the feedback and don't buy from people with bad feedback. I also buy from sellers who take returns as that saves a lot of grief if you get a lemon.

I buy and sell electronics for a living, buying on ebay and selling on amazon so I know of what I speak. Here is my criteria: iPhone 3G, Under $160.00, Used Returns accepted, Listings ending within 2 days
    At the bottom is a link to the results. There are 216 hits at the moment. If I can't get a phone in a week or so I may start upping my bid amount by $1 each time until I hit. Be sure to factor in the shipping in what you bid as that's part of the price. You could likely get a better deal on craigslist if you don't mind meeting people in person. I've done it but prefer to run my business from my home using the mail. PayPal gives you plenty of protection from getting ripped off. Good luck

iPhone 3G items - Get great deals on Cell Phones Smartphones, AT T items on eBay.com!

Thanks
    how much do you think is a good deal for 3Gs and iPhone 4? (off of ebay or craigs)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You're asking someone to do your grunt work for you. In my previous post I laid out the specific methodoligy to figure out the fair price. It's up to you to take it from there. If you don't want to put out the effort use worthmonkey: Worth Monkey - The blue book for used electronics and more!
    and it will give you a guestamate but is by no means carved in stone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi! I would like to let you know that you dont need a data plan to activate iphone. Just purchase an iphone without a contract and get a non activated sim. Call customer service to activate the sim only. If asked for imei, tell them not available. Then after activating sim, just insert it to your iphone. Do not make initial payment becuse it might be depleted due to auto update. Turn off att network and use wi-fi if possible. In prepaid, even you add data plan, they wont allow you to use web because it suppose to be under contract.

Green Apple
    Thanks

why buy an expensive phone when you can't afford $ 15 per month for data? Yes the iphone will function but you won't get the important features of the phone, which in my case is work email, maps, gps, etc (outside of wifi).

If these features are not important to you, then buy an HTC phone that is not a smart phone. That's what I bought for my son.

....just my opinion.

Anyway, the answer to the thread question is NO you can't.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Several points: since I buy my phones used on ebay they aren't expensive to begin with, secondly I like the iphone; it has a cool camera, nice interface, apps and it's just my favorite phone; thirdly I have email with my iphone via yahoo and gmail without paying for it; I have an independent gps so don't need that function.

Furthermore I can easily afford the $15/mo for the data plan but since I have an unlimited Verizon data plan I don't need additional data. I plug my usb modem into a Cradlepoint router and have my own personal wifi hotspot and can use the iphone that way if I need to get it on the internet securely. As an aside I have a cheap Nokia and a Blackberry I can put my sim in if needed for backup.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by safoocat View Post
    Several points: since I buy my phones used on ebay they aren't expensive to begin with, secondly I like the iphone; it has a cool camera, nice interface, apps and it's just my favorite phone; thirdly I have email with my iphone via yahoo and gmail without paying for it; I have an independent gps so don't need that function.

Furthermore I can easily afford the $15/mo for the data plan but since I have an unlimited Verizon data plan I don't need additional data. I plug my usb modem into a Cradlepoint router and have my own personal wifi hotspot and can use the iphone that way if I need to get it on the internet securely. As an aside I have a cheap Nokia and a Blackberry I can put my sim in if needed for backup.

This is good stuff...I'm exploring getting a 2nd-hand iPhone and do not care for the data plan as I plan to use only the Wi-Fi and the regular voice function of the phone,...aside from the various apps I will be using that relies on getting data via Wi-Fi to the internet.

If I understand correctly on how to get to where i need to go...get a iPhone...jail break and then unlock (not sure what the difference between jail break and unlock), change the IEMI and then activate the SIM w/o disclosing the IEMI.

...CORRECT?

Thanks....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone without data plan
    Jailbreak means you can run apps other than those in the iTunes store. Unlock means you can use other carriers besides AT&T
    but they both happen at the same time as long as you select those options here: Unlock and Jailbreak iPhone, iPod, and iPad for free

I didn't do anything with the IEMI on my 3G, don't know if it's necessary on newer models but you can google it. Then I went to the AT&T
    store and bought a prepaid data card and it works in our phones, we have two of them. It also works in our older original iPhone. It's not that
    hard but it did have a steep learning curve to figure it all out.

Good luck,
    Michelle Ress