Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac Defender malware on iPhone?

Default Mac Defender malware on iPhone?
    Hey all, has anyone here heard of the Mac Defender malware appearing on iPhone? I was browsing Kotaku on Safari using my iPhone 4 (4.1 firmware) with UAFaker on yesterday and it kept making me go to a numbered IP where I saw MacDefender.pkg as a downloadable file. I promptly closed Safari and ended it but it looks like I might still be infected. My data in general doesn't work properly. I can't send or receive text messages, What's App can't connect, and Safari will work for a while before not being able to connect to any site (at which point I can end the program and restart it and it'll be working again, but all my bookmarks are gone). Does anyone know of this happening to anyone else & does anyone know how to remove it? Would a restore get rid of it? I'm not sure how iTunes backs stuff up, like it is only settings & contacts or does it save files as well? I don't want to restore only to find I have this happen again.

I think it's not possible, iOS is a much, more closed operating system.
    Or it might be more difficult.

Probably wont work. Just know what you're downloading

Austin, TX
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

There's no documented case of an iOS virus in the wild although a ".pkg" is an iOS format so who knows. Uninstall UAFaker as a first attempt. You can always try using an alternative mobile browser like Opera to see if that works too.