+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4G Networks not far off?

is a discussion within the

Wiki Discussions

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
So I was reading my local paper today and I came across an artical discussing the digital tv change and how its going to allow for 4g networks for cell
    Thanks

Default 4G Networks not far off?
    So I was reading my local paper today and I came across an artical discussing the digital tv change and how its going to allow for 4g networks for cell phones. Here is some of the artical:

Widespread use of these 4G networks is at least a year away, but Verizon Wireless has spent the last several months testing its new network to gather data on suburban network performance in various weather conditions. The results showed how much faster 4G networks will be.

"We were able to demonstrate peak download speeds of 50 million to 60 million bits per second," or 36 to 43 times faster than today's 3G peak speed of 1.4 million bits per second, said Tom Sawanobori, vice president of technology at New Jersey-based Verizon Communications, which along with European firm Vodafone is the parent company of Verizon Wireless. But real-world 4G speeds will be somewhat slower once the network is fully loaded with customers, he said.

4G networks are being planned by Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile using a technology called LTE (Long Term Evolution), and by Sprint Nextel using a competing technology called WiMax.

So while I love my Iphone I am currently on t-mobile's unlimited plan and have no use for a 3g iphone. I think my 2g works great for now and when the 4g network comes out I am not stuck in some 2 year agreement with the death star that cost me a fortune to upgrade to 4g after spending a fortune for 3g.

Just my thoughts but I wondered what other others of you might think about saving some money and not buying the new 3gs for just a few features that will most likely be outdated before your contracts are over.

Thanks

the 3gs has a faster processor and more memory. thats worth the price to most. also network speeds didnt effect the sale of the first gen iphone so why would it effect this one? people have iphones for other reasons than just the network speeds.

Verizon has had 4g for a while too.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Thanks

um. 4g probably has a looonnnnggg time before its even supported in as many areas as 3g is.
    make it a great day!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I think companies are letting the whole internet speed thing get the better of them. I don't believe that LTE is necessary. The dog is always going to be chasing its tail by having incomplete network coverages. 3G has minimal coverage at best and they are already gearing up to roll out LTE. How about finishing a complete network first?

3G is plenty fast enough for any device attached to it whether it be a laptop or a handset.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah, like others have said, 3G isn't even any good yet. Coverage is extremely sub par.

I mean. The only way I see 4G coming out soon is all the current carriers acknowledging the 3G fail and skipping it altogether.