+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do you backup your iphone music+podcasts to your PC from my iphone

is a discussion within the

Wiki Discussions

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Might sound like abit of a stupid question, but how would i copy my podcasts and songs to my laptop from my iphone? My laptops been playing up lately so
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default How do you backup your iphone music+podcasts to your PC from my iphone
    Might sound like abit of a stupid question, but how would i copy my podcasts and songs to my laptop from my iphone?

My laptops been playing up lately so i got my brother to format it for me.
    Now stupid me, i didnt tell him to copy all my songs to the other partian. As a result ive lost all my podcasts (around 80 of them), and about 200 new songs ive downloaded in the past month or so.

All of these podcasts and songs are on my iphone, now how would i back them up to my computer.

i have purchased touchcopy ages ago, and i know i can use that program, but last time i used it, it seemed to have changed quite afew song names.

Thanks

mediamonkey

Green Apple
    Thanks
    will try it when i get home from work tonight.
    thanks simtech.

Ok so just to confirm mediamokey can transfer all audio files straight to my laptop without changing the names of the songs right?

ok ive just tried media monkey, and its renaming my song files when it copies the songs. example, in mediamonkey its showing the song title, artist and album name, but when i copy it to my desktop the file is called fmkx.mp3. its still keeping all file info, so when its put back in itunes all the correct song info is there, but im really not keen on having song files called fmkx.mp3.

Is there a way to keep the original file name, e.g afterall-savingabel.mp3 atleast this way i know what song im about to listen to.

any helps appreciated. this is doing my head in!!
    Last edited by gt4junkie; 03-18-2009 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

iPods (including the one on your phone) read the names differently i.e. YRGQ.mp3. I'm afraid there is no other way to automatically rename them other than doing it manually, which could take a while depending on your libray size. What you CAN do is plug your iPhone in, open itunes, ignore the "erase and sync" dialog and clcik the little arrow next to "<insert name of iPhone here>". This will list the contents of your phone, excluding photos and other things not normally synced from iTunes.

Don't know if that will help, but that is one thing you can do.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I found some guys in the forum have problem with backup sms from mobile to pc.

All iPhone users can't backup the SMS to anywhere until the SMS box is full, then you have to delete all of them to prevent iPhone rejecting new SMS receiving. With Tansee iPhone Transfer, you can transfer the iPhone SMS to computer as a txt file or a ANTS file before the event above happens. Before the transfer, you can choose to transfer from all contacts or a single contact, further more, you can choose transfer the SMS to a TXT file or a ANTS file. In ANTS file condition, you can protect the file with a password to keep your privacy.

Tansee products can run on almost all the windows operating systems: Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003,Windows Vista.

Free download Free Software Downloads - Over 200,000 Freeware & Shareware Free Downloads-Product Detail--Tansee-iPhone-Transfer

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gt4junkie View Post
    Is there a way to keep the original file name, e.g afterall-savingabel.mp3 atleast this way i know what song im about to listen to.
    If you have them in itunes, itunes will tell you what song you are about to play

OK, joking aside, I use a program called Mp3tag to get the file names back to normal. As long as there is meta data in the mp3 file, you can configure Mp3tag to make new file names based on the meta data. Example: artist-track number-song title.mp3, or however you prefer your files named. And if you get a song that has the info you need in the file name, but has no meta data, Mp3tag will work the opposite too. If you tell it the filename is artist-track number-song title, it will fix the id3 tag to reflect
    Artist = artist
    Track = track number
    Title = song title

Very simple to use, and if you have all the files in one folder, all you gotta do is select them all and push the button for Tag->Filename. Very shortly therefter (depends on the number of files), everything will be well.

You don't even need a special program on your computer to pull the songs off your phone if you are jailbroken (OK I guess you need a program to SSH in with or iPhoneBrowser, but if you are jailbroken, you should have something like that anyway). Just go in and copy the folder
    \User\Media\iTunes_Control\Music
    to your computer. All the music & videos and what not are in the child folders inside the Music folder (F00 - F49)
    ie \User\Media\iTunes_Control\Music\F00\XXXX.mp3
    Last edited by L00i3; 09-27-2009 at 08:48 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    If the tags are still the same just d/l Mp3Tag and press Tag > File name. Which converts whatever is on the ID3 into the file name or vice versa.

Banned
    Thanks

i need a new phone,my phone was stolen.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Use it:
    Hi,

Well to copy songs to laptop from my iphone you can use MAC OS-X

software and Winamp's newest iPod plug-in for it.

Thanks
    No signature spam... only warning

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fhadso View Post
    iPods (including the one on your phone) read the names differently i.e. YRGQ.mp3. I'm afraid there is no other way to automatically rename them other than doing it manually, which could take a while depending on your libray size. What you CAN do is plug your iPhone in, open itunes, ignore the "erase and sync" dialog and clcik the little arrow next to "<insert name of iPhone here>". This will list the contents of your phone, excluding photos and other things not normally synced from iTunes.

Don't know if that will help, but that is one thing you can do.
    I tried this and it works. Thank you so much for sharing this. But renaming all the files takes a long time as every song has to be listened first before renaming it.

Is there any way to do this without using iTunes?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have synched my iphone that was jailbroken, and then my itunes upgraded it so now it's no longer jailbroken. however, i have over 600 contacts i'd like to put back on the phone. once i get a new sim card, i can reactivate this new updated iphone, but is there a way to find the contact list somewhere on my pc? or will it only be visible when i re-synch it with my iphone?