+ Reply
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IPhone unlock OS X Part 1

is a discussion within the

Wiki Discussions

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Discussion thread for IPhone unlock OS X Part 1 . If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default IPhone unlock OS X Part 1
    Discussion thread for IPhone unlock OS X Part 1. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello. I read the tutorial and its very clear, good job !. Did you plan to release a similar guide for Windows ?
    Thank you !

MWTB-DLTR

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

I may. I don't have a Windows box near me these days. Maybe I'll find one... its tougher in Windows.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

martano (09-23-2007), remyzero7 (09-21-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Seems very straight forward and could be scripted similar to nate's ssh and wifi thing. If i were near my pc i would throw something together, but it will have to wait until Sunday (or someone else does it)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default itunes
    what version of itunes should i be running when i try to activate and unlock my brand new iphone

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Latest. 7.4+

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

remyzero7 (09-21-2007), river0 (09-13-2007)

Thanks

I just followed this instruction on a brand new un-AT&T Activated iPhone and I got stuck when I go to the point where I have get my iPhone to connect via WiFi.

I cannot seem to get any of the near by open WiFi network to work. The iPhone seem to connect but I cannot get any IP address assigned via DHCP.

Am I doing something wrong? Please help.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Beautiful Tutorial!! Now how do I get YouTube working again?
    poetic_folly--

One look at other sets of iPhone unlock instructions and I'd think, "I'll wait for the one-step GUI." Then I hit your tutorial and gave it a try for two main reasons: (1) the steps were accompanied by photos of what I'd see during the process, absolutely essential for noobs, and (2) I could download all the applications I'd need from links WITHIN the tutorial itself. These two huge advantages when combined with simple, clear, mostly unambiguous instructions pulled me in and kept me involved until I actually had an unlocked iPhone! Complete surprise to me. As far as I'm concerned, yours is the ONLY tutorial to use until a one-step GUI is released.

One problem. All my applications ended up working except YouTube. I'd appreciate someone pointing me to instructions about how to go about restoring YouTube or confirming that this iPhone unlock kills it.

Thanks.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Thanks for the praise, we're well known for our guides both in the iPhone modding community and in the Motorola modding community (ModMyMoto). Its good to know ya'll appreciate it.

What method of activating your iPhone did you use? iNdependence? If so, what version? OS X, right?

Quote Originally Posted by vinko View Post
    I just followed this instruction on a brand new un-AT&T Activated iPhone and I got stuck when I go to the point where I have get my iPhone to connect via WiFi.

I cannot seem to get any of the near by open WiFi network to work. The iPhone seem to connect but I cannot get any IP address assigned via DHCP.

Am I doing something wrong? Please help.
    Sometimes it can take up to a minute, although its usually only a second or two... did you leave it there to check?
    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 09-13-2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Thanks for the praise, we're well known for our guides both in the iPhone modding community and in the Motorola modding community (ModMyMoto).Sometimes it can take up to a minute, although its usually only a second or two... did you leave it there to check?
    First of all thank you for your reply.

I did leave it at the network for quite a long time on each attempt (15 - 20 mins.).

I am using iNdependence 1.2.1a and on Mac OS 10.4.10

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

I have seen a couple WiFi issues in the past as well. Generally it would just say the WiFi was off.

Unfortunately, the only fix I've seen for this (other than just letting it sit for a few hours and trying it again) is a restore.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    using this guide, should i use iTunes 7.4.1? and do i need to copy any files across as per the other guide?
    secondly, do you have to take out the sim before activating and unlocking, the guide does not make this clear?

Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

poetic_folly--

I successfully completed the unlock using an Intel Mac, Mac OS 10.4.10, iTunes 7.4.1, iNdependence, etc.

I bought the iPhone from ATT, so the original ATT SIM was on board for every tutorial step that didn't tell me to remove it.

Is losing YouTube unavoidable with this unlock method? And if it is unavoidable, is there a way to restore YouTube (short of resetting the iPhone back to factory specs)?

By the way, WI-FI came up after about a minute of searching (I made the mistake of unlocking in a room with a weak wireless signal). I'm wondering if the WI-FI failures might be related to Airport network settings. I made sure a friend could join my network with his MacBook before I started the unlock.
    Last edited by river0; 09-14-2007 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by river0 View Post
    I successfully completed the unlock using an Intel Mac, Mac OS 10.4.10, iTunes 7.4.1, iNdependence, etc.
    Congratulation,

A Restore is not a problem for me. I am willing to do that multiple time if necessary.

river0,
    May I confirm that your iPhone was never activated with AT&T throughout the unlock procedures outlined here?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hi Vinko--

Ahhhh. No, the iPhone was activated by AT&T. I cancelled my contract during the first 30 days (I'm 35 days beyond that termination date now).

Quote Originally Posted by vinko View Post
    Congratulation,

A Restore is not a problem for me. I am willing to do that multiple time if necessary.

river0,
    May I confirm that your iPhone was never activated with AT&T throughout the unlock procedures outlined here?
    Last edited by river0; 09-14-2007 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks

river0,
    Thank you for sharing your experience.

Cash & poetic_folly,
    Do you know if these instructions work with an iPhone that had not been activated by AT&T?

I would suppose that is possible, as that is one of the main reason for unlocking; especially outside of USA.

BTW: Cash, I was not able to follow the iphuc method, as I was not able to complete install the MacPorts in Terminal in Step 1 of the IPHUC guide.

All,
    If you do not reside in the USA and you have followed the instructions with success, please let me know. I really want to know the following:
    1. Was your iPhone AT&T activated prior to the hack?
    2. Was your iPhone able to connect to a WiFi network at Step 2 of Part 3?
    3. Was your unlock successful as described in this guide?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

My guide was created to work with iPhones that have never been activated. What guide are you referring to that uses iPhuc? I don't mention it at all in my guide - it is an outdated app now.

Thanks

poetic_folly,

Thank you for your reply.

I am following the "IPhone unlock OS X" (http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/IPh...ck_OS_X_Part_1) guide here on this site.

The "IPHUC" reference is based on a suggestion from Cash, when I told him that I was having problem getting my iPhone to connect to an open WiFi network.

I have just Restored my iPhone and restarted the instructions from the "IPhone unlock OS X" guide and is stuck again at the same spot in the guide.

BTW: after I Activated the iPhone via iNdependence, the iPhone screen reads something like "... waiting for AT&T activation..." then after about 10 mins. it says "... problem getting a signal to activate...". Is this normal?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

I am not sure where you are stuck at? You should need nothing to do with iPHUC or MacPorts or anything like that. When you activate via iNdependence, you shouldn't be waiting 10 minutes - you've still got two more parts of the tutorial to complete! Is there a reason you are not completing the tutorial?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Please forget about IPHUC and MacPorts. That was for Cody (Cash) as he was trying to get me pass my problem at Step 2 of Part 3 of the "IPhone unlock OS X" (http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/IPh...ck_OS_X_Part_3) guide.

I cannot finish the last few steps in the guide is because I am not able to get my iPhone to connect to any open WiFi network near by, so I was not able to continue.

Since then I had tried using iNdependence to install SSH, but since I am not able to get the iPhone to connect to a WiFi network, I am not able to connect to it via SFTP to transfer the Unlock and Lockdown files.

As for the "10 mins. wait", I am not actually waiting. I was describing what's happening on the iPhone while I was following the steps in the guide.

After I finished the "Activate" step in the guide and before I proceed to the AppTapp step.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast