+ Reply
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IPhone unlock OS X Part 1

is a discussion within the

Wiki Discussions

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I'm getting my phone soon and I'll let you know how it goes. I was thinking about this wifi connection problem everyone seems to get are a sercure network thing
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm getting my phone soon and I'll let you know how it goes. I was thinking about this wifi connection problem everyone seems to get are a sercure network thing because I was going to take the sercurty off my network just while I set up my phone?????

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    quick update, i unlocked my first iphone, well it was my friend's but there's a problem!

i have a mac and i unlocked the iphone on a mac. my friend has a PC and she's t-mobile. when she connects her phone to her pc, she can't seem to sync her music. there is no music tab when you click "iphone" in itunes when it's connected. someone help!?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, in the 4-part unlocking process is there an AT&T sim inside the iPhone during the process?

The iPhone that I got doens't have a contract (sim chip) with AT&T. I am not sure if the 4-part unlock will work without the AT&T sim.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks guys! I am up and running. I had to do the reset on a different mac and it worked great.
    I have just one more question, should my unlocked iphone be able to sync to iTunes music library now? or is there some additional modding required?
    you guys rock!!!

Thanks for the guide! I am working great using t-mobile except for one tiny nit. Is anyone else having the issue where when the phone is powered up or power is cycled that the voice mail notification red dot appears on the phone icon? I can check in with my voice mail and naturally there is no message and then the red dot is cleared. But it would be very cool if the dot were a true indicator of a waiting message. Anything I can do?

Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I went through the first 3 steps with a brand-new phone that had not been activated. Originally was using Fugu and another method but I restored to 1.0.2 and followed this guide.

After using iNdependence to activate it (which completed with no errors) I get a message every once in a while saying "Waiting for AT&T activation, this may take some time..." Does this mean that the activation failed? I can use the iPhone for everything but calls, just see that message every time power it on.

I then went ahead and followed steps 2-4 and tried to unlock it with anySIM which appeared to work but then when I put my Cingular SIM in it told me it was unauthorized.
    Last edited by weedenbc; 09-16-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks

I just wanted to update everyone on my progress.

To recap, I had a brand new iPhone that was never AT&T activated. I was following this guide while I was in NYC, but for during the procedure I got stuck at Step 2 of Part 3 due to my iPhone not able to connect to any open WiFi network including the one at the 5th Ave. Apple Store.

I am now back in Hong Kong. As soon as I got off the plane last night I followed the procedures exactly, plus ensuring I have a good connection to an open WiFi network (my own).

The instructions worked perfectly, especially the latest revised version. You do have to follow what the authors say exactly. Other than the fact that I had to change the channel of my WiFi network (Apple Extreme Base Station; prior to the current version), I did not encounter a single problem in the procedure.

I am happy to report that the iPhone I unlocked was able to accept a Smartone-Vodafone SIM card from Hong Kong. I made a test call and also tested the EDGE connection to the Internet.

Thank you very much to the authors of this guide and most of all the iPhone Dev Team.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks P_F

it worked fine ... just perfect ... great GUI !!!
    safari, YouTube, Map ... all perfect.

what about if we receive an update either iTunes or iPhone, should we accepted or will it locked it again?

and now can I change SIM inside my phone (other GSM carrier in a different country)?

Great post and support P_F !!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up works great!
    No problems at all... Works great!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    can i unlock my phone even though im still stuck with at&t so i can use it elsewhere. i've already restored the phone and am installing the extra additional apps in order. everything wil work correctly right?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Yes.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hello, Somebody please help me, I have unlocked the iphone using Mac OS X, closely and carefully following all the steps, from the firmware update in part 1, to the independece activation success, and cyberduck successful transfers to usr/libexec and applications, and then selected the padlock icon "unlock" on the desktop where after waiting for about twenty minutes received the "enjoy" icon. I than restarted my iphone popped in the T-Mobile sim, and NO SERVICE is all I get. I can not find a post like this in the Mac Modding, or anywhere with somebody that can help me get this phone working. After restarting phone with T-Mobile sim several times, I still have NO SERVICE displayed. I have went into carrier settings and can only choose between automatic and manual, T-Mobile is not even an option. I have also adjusted the EDGE settings to work with my data plan. I have full access of everything from Wi-Fi access to YouTube, but no phone signal. This is the second time I have restored my phone. Do you think it's my sim card. I have been using a T-Mobile Sidekick 3, and once performing the unlock on the iphone I swapped out the sim card. I know the Iphone recognizes my T-Mobile sim because it says my phone number in phone settings, however still displays NO SERVICE. Please help me so that I can make and receive calls/and SMS. This is getting to be ridiculous.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

dhurley - please ask ONCE per question. You asked that exact same question in three places on this forum!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Followed the guide - great resource. Followed it all the way through and got an unlocked phone that could do almost anything... except receive a call!
    I'm in Bali, Indonesia running on Telkomsel network (GSM). Friend of mine still reckons that the only way to get full functionality is to open the unit up and scratch away, but I'd really rather not do that. Any one have any suggestions. As I said, I can make calls, get on EDGE and wifi, SMS in and out. Just not get calls.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default My iPhone appears to be unlocked, but....
    This was a great tutorial and I really appreciate everyone's help in doing this. I have my iPhone unlocked and I can use it, but I am having issues with text messaging. My girl friend doesn't always receive my texts and I don't always get hers. Have you encountered this issue before? Thank you!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Unlocked Successful.
    Just Follow Step By Step and u will get ur iphone unlocked.

I have a question... If i want to keep openssh... how do i change the user and password?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Guys, poetic_folly in particular. I've read through all 4 steps for unlock and all the forums to try and get a handle on the process before trying it. I have just bought a phone in Rochester, NY and am intending to carry out the process back in the UK to use with an o2 sim card (a UK provider).

I have a couple of questions I can't see an answer to :-

1) If I am starting from scratch with an UNACTIVATED phone, how do I establish which firmware is in the phone ? I can only see answers which state using the PHONE menu but if the phone isn't activated, this isn't available ! I bought the phone yesterday (18th Sept) so I'm expecting it to be 1.0.2 (as all the trial phones in the Apple Store were).

2) When intending to use a UK sim, you still think to definitely leave the ATT sim in place until your instruction say to remove it ? Another very similar site using very similar (often the same) software suggests starting off with the sim you are intending to use ? I can't help wondering if that should make ANY difference, after all the point is to unlock it for all sims ?

Many thanks, Robbie (Intel MacBook, 10.4.10)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks P_F! Great guide!

Need some help though....

After successful unlock and brief phone use (I'm using t-mobile) last night - I took the SIM out of the iphone and used back with my old phone for various reasons. This morning I switched the SIM back to the iphone and it is not recognizing the carrier at all. In fact, when I take the SIM out it doesnt even say "NO SIM". It shows a cell status bar with no carrier name (and no signal).

Can't seem to get the cell phone to work at all however WIFI still working.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, first , thx for all the help that you give to all people who need to unlock the iphone... The think is that i have a problem, I do every step like you said but went I restart the iPhone and put my simcard , the iPhone still said that is not a valid simcard, i Don't know what happen , i have youtube and all the functions working and I did the unlock process twice. Plese Help me!!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robbienh View Post
    I have a couple of questions I can't see an answer to :-

1) If I am starting from scratch with an UNACTIVATED phone, how do I establish which firmware is in the phone ?
    Assume you are running an outdated version, and follow the guide as written.

Quote Originally Posted by robbienh View Post
    2) When intending to use a UK sim, you still think to definitely leave the ATT sim in place until your instruction say to remove it ?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by leer100 View Post
    Thanks P_F! Great guide!

Need some help though....

After successful unlock and brief phone use (I'm using t-mobile) last night - I took the SIM out of the iphone and used back with my old phone for various reasons. This morning I switched the SIM back to the iphone and it is not recognizing the carrier at all. In fact, when I take the SIM out it doesnt even say "NO SIM". It shows a cell status bar with no carrier name (and no signal).
    Try restarting the phone? Did you make sure you have the new lockdownd file in there, as linked to in the guide?

Quote Originally Posted by pipeartuz View Post
    The think is that i have a problem, I do every step like you said but went I restart the iPhone and put my simcard , the iPhone still said that is not a valid simcard, i Don't know what happen , i have youtube and all the functions working and I did the unlock process twice. Plese Help me!!
    I am betting you did not put the lockdownd file on the iPhone.