Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Installing ssh on iPhone using iPHUC in OS X

Default Installing ssh on iPhone using iPHUC in OS X
    Discussion thread for Installing ssh on iPhone using iPHUC in OS X. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

im getting a "failed to open remote file: 12" message when typing the first command in step 3 for install ssh. everything is in place like how you have it... im stuck.

Installed all fine until trying to do the first of the ssh install - It appears my system does not have getfile ???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default I have the same hang up
    I previously posted the following:

I have successfully done everything in order right up to Step 3 for OSX in the SSH Wiki. the command line is: getfile /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.update.plist /phonedmg/sshkit/com.apple.update.plist

Problem is, there is no com.apple.update.plist file in my system/library/LaunchDaemons. Was something supposed to istall it (maybe the iPHUC install)? Is there an external resource to get this file? I am sure once I have this in place, everything will fall into line. Any direction is helpful.

It is nice to know I am not alone in this. Again, any help would be most appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by dbrown0690 View Post
    Problem is, there is no com.apple.update.plist file in my system/library/LaunchDaemons. Was something supposed to istall it (maybe the iPHUC install)? Is there an external resource to get this file? I am sure once I have this in place, everything will fall into line. Any direction is helpful.
    Touché

No com.apple.update.plist or joy here!

Anybody any ideas?

It 'should' have been there by default... You are seeing other plist files in that location, yes?

Here is what should be in that file:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
                    <key>Label</key>
                    <string>com.apple.update</string>
                    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
                    <array>
                         <string>/usr/sbin/update</string>
                    </array>
                    <key>OnDemand</key>
                    <false/>
    </dict>
    </plist>

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbo For This Useful Post:

mrdiz (08-27-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You rock, Jim. Thank you so much for the file contents. for my brothers out there struggling as well, this is what I did to get the .plist into the LaunchDaemon file:
    Copied any .com plist out of the folder, then opened the list in a text edit window. I copied Jims code then overwrote the code in the copied .plist and saved. Then renamed the plist to com.apple.update.plist and copied back to LaunchDaemons file.

Quick tip, I am sure most people have the phonedmg file in their user directory. I copied all instructions from the website and pasted in a text edit window. Then pasted /Users/[user_name] in front of all /phonedmg file headings. Made the copy and pasting much faster.

Cheers. D

Thanks Jim, I actually changed track and found another ssh enabling here:
    http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_...l_ssh_mac.html

Worked a treat for me. 24 hours later my iPhone is good!

Thats enough Terminal for me for quite a while!

I'm getting "Fail to open local file" error in step 3 first command. Here is what happened:

(iPHUC) /: getfile /usr/sbin/update /phonedmg/sshkit/update
    remote: /usr/sbin/update
    local: /phonedmg/sshkit/update
    AFCFileRefOpen: opening remote path '/usr/sbin/update'
    AFCFileRefRead: reading 8924 bytes into buffer
    getfile: Failed to open local file '/phonedmg/sshkit/update'

What seems to be the issue? There is no "update" file in my sshkit folder.

Fixed!
    Last edited by cfung; 09-06-2007 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost