+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How To: Enter DFU Restore Mode

is a discussion within the

Wiki Discussions

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Discussion thread for How To: Enter DFU Restore Mode . If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How To: Enter DFU Restore Mode
    Discussion thread for How To: Enter DFU Restore Mode. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

when my phone enters DFU mode, my Itunes says that it does not recognize the phone. What should I do?
    Thanks!

What's Jailbreak? djshuggknight's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexbtrfly View Post
    when my phone enters DFU mode, my Itunes says that it does not recognize the phone. What should I do?
    Thanks!

I have the same issue. Any suggestions?

My iPhone is a Part of Me dejawoo's Avatar
    Thanks

Try to run automator script or use powered usb hub to pass the dfu issue on a 10.5.6 mac...

Green Apple
    Thanks

If that method is not working, try this one.

1. Turn the iPhone or iPod OFF.
    2. Plug in the USB cable into the computer, but not into the phone.
    3. Hold HOME and POWER buttons
    4. As soon as you are holding the HOME and POWER buttons, plug in the USB connector.

iPhone will now enter DFU mode and iTunes should recognize it.

What's Jailbreak? djshuggknight's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I actually got it not long after my post and am now in the process of unlocking/jailbreaking. Slowly but still I'm trying.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk311 View Post
    If that method is not working, try this one.

1. Turn the iPhone or iPod OFF.
    2. Plug in the USB cable into the computer, but not into the phone.
    3. Hold HOME and POWER buttons
    4. As soon as you are holding the HOME and POWER buttons, plug in the USB connector.

iPhone will now enter DFU mode and iTunes should recognize it.
    ur supose to do all that with 2 hands? how u supose to hold the home and power together and then PLug the cable

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djdon View Post
    ur supose to do all that with 2 hands? how u supose to hold the home and power together and then PLug the cable
    Hold home + power with one hand? No problem for me anyways.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Thanks God!
    Hey, your info on DFU reboot saved me a trip to the Apple Store. I thought the darned phone was DEAD. You really saved my life. Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks

do you have to keep hold of home button (not the power) after you have connedcted to usb?

Thanks

I would have thought it would be in the instruction manual.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks so much for the help!! Wasn't looking forward to not being able to use my phone until dragging it into an apple store. Also didn't realize how strong my addiction to it was. Hmmmmm....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quinoky View Post
    Hold home + power with one hand? No problem for me anyways.
    This may work, but it is a good way to exert too much force on the Home button and damage it. I recommend following the below steps. These steps were published long ago by the Dev_Team since they designed the tools to jailbreak your iPhone devices.

How to put your iPhone in DFU mode:
    1. Connect your iPhone to your computer.
    2. Turn your iPhone off.
    3. Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).
    4. Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
    5. A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.
    6. If you are successful at putting your iPhone into DFU mode, the screen should be black. If the Restore Logo is present on the screen, you are in Recovery Mode, not DFU.
    DFU Mode is a special mode where the device can still interface with iTunes, yet it does not load the iBoot. The screen will appear totally black in DFU mode, so you canít guess whether the device is in DFU or powered down from simply looking at the screen. Because iBoot and the OS are not loaded this exploit allows you to downgrade your iPhone firmware or upgrade with a custom firmware created by Pwnage tool.

To exit from DFU mode and boot your iPhone normally, simply hold down the power and home buttons for ten seconds or until you see the Apple Logo and then release both buttons.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

14. The Following User Says Thank You to reddawg For This Useful Post:

Tylus (08-08-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

turn off your phone hold the power and home button for exactly ten seconds and than release the power button and just hold the home button for ten more seconds and you will be in DFU..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's the ten second method...and if you are on windows it will show up on iTunes and it'll say device driver software installing and then you know your in DFU mode

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi guy I've been trying to update, restore my iPhone 3G IOS 4.1 but there is a problem with iTunes, it says my iPhone software update server cannot be contact or unavailable but it works fine on others computers I tried ever thing I've found to fix this issue but nothing works please anyone help me.. Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

its very easy procedure if done correctly

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello, I have a crashed iPhone stuck in re-boot cycle. It has never been backed up. I have over 1,000 photos on it that I do not want to lose. I do not know how to put it into DFU mode, and I do not think that will help me, since that will only lead to me to "restoring" my iPhone in iTunes. This will erase my data.

Any help would be much appreciated! I am willing to pay someone to retrieve my photos! $$$

DataRescue types are saying they will charge me $1,000 & I cannot afford that...

Help? Please?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crashed iPhone View Post
    Hello, I have a crashed iPhone stuck in re-boot cycle. It has never been backed up. I have over 1,000 photos on it that I do not want to lose. I do not know how to put it into DFU mode, and I do not think that will help me, since that will only lead to me to "restoring" my iPhone in iTunes. This will erase my data.

Any help would be much appreciated! I am willing to pay someone to retrieve my photos! $$$

DataRescue types are saying they will charge me $1,000 & I cannot afford that...

Help? Please?
    how much $$$ are you offering?

The data recovery shop may be pirates, but they are also
    your best shot at this point.

Are your photos worth more than $1000 or less than $1000?
    It's a horrible equation, but the economics of reality aren't in your favor.

Ok.

there's a procedure described in this post that's probably something along the lines of what a data chop shop might do

http://modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/2...ml#post5046782

If you know what you're doing, it should help recover at least some of your photos. You'd almost certainly lose everything else. It involves restoring your iPhone to a clean OS image, and therefore is both risky and irreversable.
    Will it work? If you know what you're doing, and are fairly handy with Unix and low-level filesystem monkeywork. You probably won't be able to recover all the photos- and some may be corrupt. If you're lucky, you may get most of them out. If you're not really familiar with Unix, or with iPhone hackery you're just as likely to end up with a clean iPhone and NO recovered pictures.

(I hesitate to recommend this route for the above reasons)

Also, what model is it? That could make a difference (in what options are available).
    Last edited by raduga; 10-19-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

21. The Following User Says Thank You to raduga For This Useful Post:

Crashed iPhone (10-19-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@Raduga

Thank you! I appreciate your efforts very much!

No, I am not good with Unix, iPhone hackery, etc. - so like you said - it's probably not an option for me.

As far as money, I am willing to pay up to $250 - but not $1,000 like they are saying it will cost me. I just don't have that kind of dough.

If you know of anyone who would like to try it, please let me know.

I am in the LA area and I will pay once I see my photos or we can make some other type of arrangement about the payment. I am very trustworthy.

Thanks!