+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Moving Applications to Media Partition

is a discussion within the

Wiki Discussions

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Discussion thread for Moving Applications to Media Partition . If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Moving Applications to Media Partition
    Discussion thread for Moving Applications to Media Partition. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kinchoong For This Useful Post:

kim1406 (12-05-2007)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks. I just followed this method and it works great on my 1.1.2 firmware.

Thanks

I saw someone recommend using
    cp -rp /Applications /var/root/Applications

to preserve timestamps, etc. Maybe this would be a good idea?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

agreed this is necessary

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi! I am not very familiar with terminal and I cannot manage to create a valid symlink when trying to move the apps directory into my iphone 1.1.2 media partition ("1n command not found"). Is there anybody willing to help me? Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Moving Applications to Media Partition
    This was a very useful article for me. Several of my programs stopped being able to save changes to their configurations or didn't work correctly because I hit the 300 MB limit of the root partition since I have installed a lot of different apps.

The following is what I used when moving folders to the media partition (example replacing {OriginalPath} with /Applications and {NewPath} with /var/Applications):
    cp -R -pv {OriginalPath} {NewPath}
    rm -rf {OriginalPath} && ln -s {NewPath} {OriginalPath}

I was able to move the following folders without any problems as well: /Library/Ringtones, /Library/Wallpaper, /System/Library/Fonts, and /var/opt (where Perl is installed).

One warning: it can be dangerous to move certain folders such as /usr, and likely others. I got a little carried away and tried to move /usr which made my iPhone not be able to launch any applications at first and when I tried restarting it, my iPhone kept rebooting itself. I managed to restore the phone to the latest patch but I lost all my apps and settings

BTW, pzuffa if you haven't figured out your problem yet - the command is LN (ell-n) not 1n (one-n), which is an abbreviation of link.
    Last edited by wizdave; 05-18-2008 at 12:54 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You can use BossTool to easily free space by moving Fonts, Ringtones and Applications from the 300Mb partition; you better do it before you install new apps/fonts/ringtones, or on a restored iPhone though. And don't forget to move first fonts and ringtones, then apps.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I screwed up my iphone - urgent help needed
    I tried to follow the instructions and it didnt work. When i launched the installer, it gave me an error message. Then i tried to reverse the process. It didnt work as well. So i manually copy the application folder back to the original directory. Now my iphone hangs when i restart. It shows the apple logo and the spinning wheel. Im stuck and i cant do anything. Please please help.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

BossTool can only be used once, so for example if I install lots of apps and I reach my limit and move apps it's ok. However if I reach it again, can I move them again?

"Everybody has common sense, but most just don't use it, then you wonder why?" - Neo-Tech

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

I pawned my phone and it worked fine but I notice the first partition seems kind of large does it need to be that big (1.5 gig) ? I always use bosstools to move fonts,ringtones,etc. Is there a way to reduce the size ?

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s1 1.5G 404M 1.1G 28% /
    devfs 26K 26K 0 100% /dev
    /dev/disk0s2 6.1G 2.2G 4.0G 35% /private/var
    Last edited by LGgeek; 01-16-2009 at 10:56 AM.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.