Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IPhone Fonts

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Tamagotchi.

I managed to change the fonts on the Retro dialer from the "Helvetica shaped" font to an old digital style like the ones on gas pump displays (and old payphones). To do this I had to work out which font was being used by the MobilePhone app. Sorry no shortcuts, just looking through the app and seeing if anything corresponds to the files in the font directory. You have to replace the fonts in the font directory and the cache directory.

The problem is that fonts are like iTunes songs, they keep meta-data in the header of the file. So even if you rename your fonts to names Apple uses, the app will still be able to see the real name within the header. What you have to do is replace the contents of the .TTF file that Apple uses (ex. PhonepadTwo.ttf) with the fonts you want to use.

To do this I downloaded a program from the Open Source site Sourceforge called Fontforge for the Mac (on other platforms as well). With this software I can open up the Apple TTF font and any other TTF font I want to copy at the same time. Once opened I can select then drag and drop font images from one file to the other replacing the original font images. For the dialer pad I only had to copy 0-9, +, * and #. Because I only copied the contents and not the file the header still says it's the font expected by the application. This allows me to change any Apple used font to any that I want. Fontforge will fix the differences between PC and MAC TTF fonts as well.

Hope this helps.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Jackal For This Useful Post:

kavehmb (10-17-2008)

is it possible to change font size of system font?

hey guys!! am new hir,, anyway ,, i just upgraded my iphone 3G 2.0.1 FW to 2.1 and all the fonts worked just fine,, i dont know why,, maybe because of the firmware version???? and the location of the folder FONTS changed in 2.1 FW.. its now private/var/stash/Fonts.nBjRul
    and private/var/stash/Fonts.MBZ2a1 ,,,, i hope this would help, and thanks to you guys for all the tips!!

hey guys!! am new hir,, anyway ,, i just upgraded my iphone 3G 2.0.1 FW to 2.1 and all the fonts worked just fine,, i dont know why,, maybe because of the firmware version???? and the location of the folder FONTS changed in 2.1 FW.. its now private/var/stash/Fonts.nBjRul and private/var/stash/Fonts.MBZ2a1 ,,,, i hope this would help, and thanks to you guys for all the tips!!

hey guys!! am new hir,, anyway ,, i just upgraded my iphone 3G 2.0.1 FW to 2.1 and all the fonts worked just fine,, i dont know why,, maybe because of the firmware version???? and the location of the folder FONTS changed in 2.1 FW.. its now private/var/stash/Fonts.nBjRul
    and private/var/stash/Fonts.MBZ2a1 ,,,, i hope this would help, and thanks to you guys for all the tips!!
    Last edited by lephy; 09-25-2008 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12