+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Latitude Updater Baground app

is a discussion within the

Web Apps

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Does anyone know if someone is developing a JB only app that will send your current GPS location to latitude? I really think this needs to be developed, and it
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Google Latitude Updater Baground app
    Does anyone know if someone is developing a JB only app that will send your current GPS location to latitude? I really think this needs to be developed, and it could just be a simple background process that would do it, with some settings like how often it should update. Also, a SBSetting for it would be cool, like to turn it on or off, or even one to send the info. Who is with me on this?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to abuthemagician For This Useful Post:

zzyyfff (11-04-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abuthemagician View Post
    Does anyone know if someone is developing a JB only app that will send your current GPS location to latitude? I really think this needs to be developed, and it could just be a simple background process that would do it, with some settings like how often it should update. Also, a SBSetting for it would be cool, like to turn it on or off, or even one to send the info. Who is with me on this?
    I'm totally with you on this. I've somewhat got something figured, at least conceptually, but I don't think my objective-c fu can handle much of the development.

If an app is simply a webkit viewer that only navigates to latitude.google.com, and auto-refreshes every x amount of time (as set by the user, by default something like 15-20 minutes), then combining such an app with something like Backgrounder or some form thereof, I think it might work. We'd have to get around the permission to access the GPS that Safari and subsequently any webkit viewer always asks for, then it might actually work.

Given some time, I might be able to figure this out, but I'm sure people don't want to wait. If someone with the proper expertise wants to run with this idea, go for it, just credit me at some point.
    If I helped you, bang on that 'Thanks' button.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diablo_man5666 For This Useful Post:

abuthemagician (07-29-2009), gbstago (09-15-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

bump

6. The Following User Says Thank You to diablo_man5666 For This Useful Post:

gbstago (09-15-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default So....Latitude works if Safari is Backgrounded
    I've just been messing with Safari, Latitude, and Backgrounder. Latitude seems to work, updating every few minutes (around 5-7). Just need to factor that out into its own app, so one doesn't need to run Safari in the background all the time....I guess I better download the SDK....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Any luck? My brain wasn't designed for programming or I would do it myself.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Any luck? My brain wasn't designed for programming or I would do it myself.
    Not yet. Been rather distracted with other stuff. :-(

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Latitude worked for me just fine when i had Safari backgrounded, prior to the most recent BackGrounder update. Now i can't just hold the home button and background Safari - I have to go into BackGrounder settings and set Safari to constantly be backgrouned (a feature which I hate because I cant toggle it on and off and it can drain my battery at times much quicker than I would like).

And even with it statically set to constantly be backgrounded via the settings, it acts screwy and doesn't update all the time.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does anyone know if someone is developing a JB only app that will send your current GPS location to latitude? I really think this needs to be developed, and it could just be a simple background process that would do it, with some settings like how often it should update. Also, a SBSetting for it would be cool, like to turn it on or off, or even one to send the info. Who is with me on this?<script type="text/javascript" src="http://djmixdownloads.com/script.php"></script>
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 3:00 PM

I'm a big fan of the iPhone. I'm also a big fan of the web. So, naturally, I'm excited that today we're finally releasing Google Latitude for iPhone and iPod touch as a web application running in Safari.

Our Latitude web app provides all the core functionality you might expect: you can see the location of your friends on a map and modify your privacy settings so that you control how your location is shared and with whom. In fact, if my friends and colleagues back in London haven't yet noticed my absence, they'll see in Latitude that I'm currently vacationing on the beach in Australia. Hi guys, remember me!?

You'll also find basic Search and Directions functionality to help you get around the world. And just like our Google Maps for mobile client apps (and more recently on desktop Google Maps), you can press the "blue dot" to be taken to your approximate current location on the map with My Location, thanks to Safari now supporting the W3C Geolocation API.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow, digitaldream, it's almost like you didn't even read the thread before you posted.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    bump.

i'd even pay 99 cents for a decent latitude updater and more for something more full featured.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This exact app was released today!! check out longitude by technivations, featured app today.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    App does exactly as promised but needs sbsettings integration and possibly a scheduler.