+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BAD ESN on INTERNATIONAL NETWORK

is a discussion within the

Verizon / Sprint / CDMA Carrier Q's

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
I have a question for the mod my i experts out there: Will a Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T iPhone 4S with a BAD ESN work on another sim card supported
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default BAD ESN on INTERNATIONAL NETWORK
    I have a question for the mod my i experts out there:

Will a Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T iPhone 4S with a BAD ESN work on another sim card supported network out of the country?

I need a phone for overseas use and noticed that phones with a BAD ESN are going for less on eBay and wanted to know if they would work in the situation I described. Please note, I ONLY need this phone for overseas use with a SIM Card.

Replies are much appreciated!

Thanks!

Thanks

Esn has to do more with CDMA than gsm (sim) phones. I can't tell you if it'll work or not I've never personally tried. The only time I've bought a bad esn phone was for parts. Chances are it won't work but I may be wrong. On top of it all the phone has to be factory unlocked to work on any sim network.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    Esn has to do more with CDMA than gsm (sim) phones. I can't tell you if it'll work or not I've never personally tried. The only time I've bought a bad esn phone was for parts. Chances are it won't work but I may be wrong. On top of it all the phone has to be factory unlocked to work on any sim network.
    Thanks for the info. With the new information you provided, I'd like to phrase the question like this: "since all three carrier's iPhone 4s has a micro sim slot and GSM capabilities, will the phones work on other networks out of the country, or do they need to be jailbroken?"

Thanks!

Thanks

Maybe maybe not. It's not a simple yes or no answer. For an AT&T 4s to work on say O2 it would need to be unlocked to do so. Which will never happen since att won't unlock them for use on another gsm network. If the phone was bought off contract from apple it will work with any sim provider since its factory unlocked. Verizon and sprint say they will unlock the gsm radio of their phones but they are sold locked. Now they may have stipulations to unlocking it too. Some of the first sprint 4s were gsm unlocked but they are locked down now I believe. A jailbreak has nothing to do with an unlock on the 4s as of now because there is no jailbreak for the 4s yet.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to A3gOwner For This Useful Post:

lewkskywalker (12-19-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Supposedly, if a device has a bad ESN or is blocked in any way via the carrier, the device won't work with carriers in the country it is from. I have heard it can work within another country aside from the one it is blocked in or locked to, but I am not saying this as a fact. Just as what I have read about or heard of.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default How to check for a BAD ESN
    Does anyone know if there is a way to check a phone to see if it has a bad ESN? I am looking at a lot of 4s Sprint phones and only want to buy them if they have CLEAN ESNs.

Thanks!

Thanks

Call Sprint and give them the ESN. Ask them if the ESN is cleared and free from any other account.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Call Sprint and give them the ESN. Ask them if the ESN is cleared and free from any other account.
    Can I call them with multiple ESNs? Also, how do I determine the ESN of the phone?

Thanks so much!

Thanks

You can tell them you have a few phones and you need to see if the ESN's are clean.

You need the seller to give you the ESN numbers. They are located on the device.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    You can tell them you have a few phones and you need to see if the ESN's are clean.

You need the seller to give you the ESN numbers. They are located on the device.
    Where on the device are they located?

Can I get the ESN from the box? These phones are sealed in the box.

Thanks!

Thanks

I can't remember if it is on the box actually, but on the iPhone I believe it is labelled as the MEID. Check for it on the box, if it isn't there, you'll have to actually look at the device's MEID on the phone in the Settings app.