+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon won't release iPhone number

is a discussion within the

Verizon / Sprint / CDMA Carrier Q's

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
My brother recently got a verizon iPhone 4 from his friend, however Verizon won't release the number for some reason, so he can't activate it on another, is there anyway
    Thanks

My brother recently got a verizon iPhone 4 from his friend, however Verizon won't release the number for some reason, so he can't activate it on another, is there anyway to get past it, he plans on selling it, any help is appreciated

More info: it's still connected to the previous account, idk if there's a bill on it and that's why they won't release the phone or what
    Last edited by iGamers; 12-11-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

The ESN will be bad if the previous owner does not pay off the bill and/or ETF if applicable. If there is a bill and/or ETF, they need to be paid off in full and until then the device will stay locked to that phone number.

That's why it is important to buy devices with a clean ESN, meaning the device was 1) taken off the line prior to termination and/or 2) the bill/ETF has been fully paid.

EDIT: my advice, ask the owner. There isn't a thing you can do (within the country supposedly) to free the phone up for use on another line until the account it is locked to is cleared of payment. It's likely the account still owes a payment of some sort, or the owner has not removed it from the line. Ask the owner to remove the phone from the line. If he states he cannot, it's likely bc he hasn't paid what is owed on that number.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 01-04-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Thanks

Thanks i.Annie, but I learned that Verizon will release the phone after anywhere from 2-7 months, but I believe that's only if the bad ESN is the result of an unpaid bill, we have sold the iPhone, met up with the guy at a Verizon store and waited with him while he activated it with his number, there is also a page on the Verizon website that allows you to check the current ESN state on phones