+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: No voice + data?

is a discussion within the

Verizon / Sprint / CDMA Carrier Q's

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
Can someone please explain this? Why isn't it possible on Verizon ? And what is voice + data, because it seems to be the main complaint I'm hearing about the
...
  1. #1
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default No voice + data?
    Can someone please explain this? Why isn't it possible on Verizon ? And what is voice + data, because it seems to be the main complaint I'm hearing about the Verizon Iphone.

  2. #2
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    it means that while on phone call on 3g service you can access data functions using 3g so voice call and check email at the same time. you can do this on wifi but only att's gsm signal handles voice and data. trade off. att offers this but verizon will have calls that dont drop so while verizon cant voice and data, att cant either bc they cant even have the voice part working

  3. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    haha okay so if when im on the phone i want to text, would that still work?

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Owasso,OK
    Posts
    30,702
    Thanks
    1,050
    Thanked 3,874 Times in 2,213 Posts

    Nope
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

    Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

  5. #5
    Green Apple jwlionking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Very simplified technical differences between GSM and CDMA, which is what Verizon uses on the iPhone, to explain why simultaneous wont happen on current Verizon iPhone :

    GSM
    The coverage area is divided into various hexagonal shaped cells.
    This is where I heard the name cell phone came from.
    Each cell has a network tower which takes care of the phone in that coverage area.
    An analogy for this is a honeycomb on a tree in a hexagonal shaped garden with many flowers (Cell Phones). Honeybees (signal) fly around collecting nectar from each of the flowers and return to deposit it in the honeycomb (Tower).

    CDMA
    CDMA stands for Code Division Multiple Access--Many phones using the same spread spectrum. There is one physical channel and a special code for every device in the coverage network.
    Using this code, the signal of the device is multiplexed, and the same physical channel is used to send the signal (the codes may or may not change).
    An analogy for this is a street(Spread Spectrum) filled with buses. Each passenger (cell phone) has to purchase a ticket (code) to get on the bus (multiplexed signal).

    Unfortunately until Apple puts an LTE radio in the phone, it won't be possible to accomplish this.

    This will similarly be accomplished by the WiFi radio if you are within a wireless internet signal.

    With a seperate wifi radio, the CDMA radio can be used for voice while the wifi radio can be used for simultaneous data.
    Last edited by jwlionking; 01-24-2011 at 09:34 PM.

  6. #6
    What's Jailbreak? PapaJohnX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    QC
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Westerman View Post
    Nope
    Yes it would. You can text and talk on the phone with CDMA phones.

    *I do it all the time.


  7. #7
    Green Apple jwlionking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Correct on stating you can text and voice at same time- it goes through the same 1X protocol as voice. However, you cannot MMS and voice at the same time.


    Quote Originally Posted by PapaJohnX View Post
    Yes it would. You can text and talk on the phone with CDMA phones.

    *I do it all the time.

  8. #8
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NE Mississippi
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by avnyc11 View Post
    it means that while on phone call on 3g service you can access data functions using 3g so voice call and check email at the same time. you can do this on wifi but only att's gsm signal handles voice and data. trade off. att offers this but verizon will have calls that dont drop so while verizon cant voice and data, att cant either bc they cant even have the voice part working
    Hmm, just to clarify to some people comparing the two- I'm in north mississippi and I have perfect coverage and no dropped calls with AT&T. I tested my 3G service this morning and got 4.1 down, 1.1 up. You cant get those speeds on Verizon 3G. Heck, Verizon didn't exist here at all until last year, when they built their first store. Yet north of me, my parents rural town of 3500 people has a 3G AT&T tower. I simply cannot understand why people knock them so much. I'll continue to enjoy my high speeds, good coverage, good support, data+voice, SIM cards, upgrades every year, etc. Price could be better, but verizon appears no cheaper.

  9. #9
    What's Jailbreak? PapaJohnX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    QC
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jwlionking View Post
    Correct on stating you can text and voice at same time- it goes through the same 1X protocol as voice. However, you cannot MMS and voice at the same time.
    Right.


  10. #10
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jwlionking View Post

    Unfortunately until Apple puts an LTE radio in the phone, it won't be possible to accomplish this. With a seperate LTE radio, the CDMA radio can be used for voice while the LTE radio can be used for simultaneous data. This will similarly be accomplished by the WiFi radio if you are within a wireless internet signal.
    ]
    Glad you noted this, for some people having wifi on will solve this little dilema. Personally I never really had a need to be on a phone call and surf the web at the same time... I would just hang up the call and call the person back once I had whatever information I needed.

    I was on Verizon for a few years, it wasn't a big issue at all.

  11. #11
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    Hmm, just to clarify to some people comparing the two- I'm in north mississippi and I have perfect coverage and no dropped calls with AT&T. I tested my 3G service this morning and got 4.1 down, 1.1 up. You cant get those speeds on Verizon 3G. Heck, Verizon didn't exist here at all until last year, when they built their first store. Yet north of me, my parents rural town of 3500 people has a 3G AT&T tower. I simply cannot understand why people knock them so much. I'll continue to enjoy my high speeds, good coverage, good support, data+voice, SIM cards, upgrades every year, etc. Price could be better, but verizon appears no cheaper.
    Simple, because you think that At&T has a satellite in space and everybody in the every single area of the states will receive a perfect coverage.

  12. #12
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NE Mississippi
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by cper View Post
    Simple, because you think that At&T has a satellite in space and everybody in the every single area of the states will receive a perfect coverage.
    It's funny, because my point was that the service that people complain so much about is not uniform, and that in my area, AT&T is unrivaled (and has been since the bellsouth mobility days). thus, you cannot assume a particular carrier will be great/awful in someone else's area. I travel a reasonable amount and have yet to have any trouble, so these problems can't be as widespread as some make them out to be. I bet many of those bashing at&t's quality simply haven't used them.

    You may not remember, but AT&T/Cingular led the nation in call quality/least calls dropped/customer service/etc consistently until the iPhone released. The crazy bandwidth that iPhone users used clogged up the pipes in some metro areas, especially after the iP 3G released. I hope something similar doesn't happen to verizon!

  13. #13
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    I know this topic isn't about call quality, it's about voice+data; but here is my own assessment:

    When I was on Verizon, I had full bars at my house, full 3g for most of my commute, dropped calls regularly (conference calls were a pain when this happened), and I could not surf the net, mms, or email while on the phone.

    Since I switched to AT&T: I have full bars at my house, full 3g for all of my commute, drop calls occasionally (though not during my commute like I used to), and I can surf the net, email, and mms while on a call.

    Overall, it really depends on how your coverage is in your area. I'm in an area that should have full AT&T and Verizon coverage (including one of the first 32 LTE Markets), and my overall experience has been more positive with AT&T than Verizon, including my Customer Service experience being better.
    Hear my sporadic ramblings: @liquidzoo on Twitter

  14. #14
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    So, just to clarify, is the mobile hotspot feature useless if a phone call comes in while my laptop is using the 3G connection from my phone?

  15. #15
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Data will be paused once you get a call, so you'd have to reconnect your laptop.

    Personally, I don't use data at the same time as voice and I prefer Verizon's reliability. However, I can see that if people are using their phone for hotspots, data cutting off when you get a text message can be a major pain in the butt.

    It makes me think all voice/text should be done over VoIP and I think Apple should've announced the VeriPhone but spent a few weeks implementing an LTE antenna to future proof it so this issue becomes null when brought up.

    Because of their lack of foresight, AT&T is going to dance around the fire screaming about data/voice at the same time.

  16. #16
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Apple has already said they won't be implementing LTE in the iPhone until 2012 (iPhone 6). Mostly due to the fact that they want the network to develop globally and mature before they officially support it.

    Once AT&T and T-Mobile have a full roll-out of their LTE network, combined with the Verizon LTE network would be great in terms of data and voice coverage for the iPhone. It is similar in other countries with other carriers who have opted to go with LTE as their "4G" network.

    Global stability of the network means far fewer issues once Apple makes the decision to put the antenna in the iPhone.
    Hear my sporadic ramblings: @liquidzoo on Twitter

  17. #17
    EffenTroll ! Effenpig!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    1,057
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 57 Times in 50 Posts

    Essenar, you say it shows a lack of foresight because apple didn't include hardware to allow for voice and data on verizon iPhone, but I think it's exactly the opposite. Why would they include additional hardware for something verizons network cannot support yet? This would increase their cost and decrease profit. And when the verizon network does support it, they can then sell everyone a new phone that does have the necessary hardware. To me, that shows plenty of foresight!!!

  18. #18
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,907
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    I'm on AT&T, and I don't really need voice+data. Either I'm on wifi or I just don't need to look stuff up on a phone call. Maybe its more important to others :/

    I wouldn't miss it though if I didn't have the option. I'd just hang up and call them back if I had to lol.

  19. #19
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    Essenar, you say it shows a lack of foresight because apple didn't include hardware to allow for voice and data on verizon iPhone, but I think it's exactly the opposite. Why would they include additional hardware for something verizons network cannot support yet? This would increase their cost and decrease profit. And when the verizon network does support it, they can then sell everyone a new phone that does have the necessary hardware. To me, that shows plenty of foresight!!!
    It creates a mess!

    If they included LTE, people wouldn't say things like, "Should I wait for LTE devices before deciding?"

    They would just buy the iPhone 4 and not even think about the Bionic or Thunderbolt.

    I'm one of those people. I'm not jumping ship until I see an official release date for Bionic along with a review. That's one customer they have waiting on the sidelines.

    Would it add to cost? Sure, but it would also definitely add to revenue because people will love knowing that Apple took charge ahead of the change.

  20. #20
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    402
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 60 Times in 60 Posts

    @jelionking you should not offer an explanation on technology you do not Understand. Your response is riddled with inaccurate information.

    The most blatant perhaps is that LTE will carry the data and CDMA the voice. LTE will totally replace CDMA and carry both voice and data simultaneously. AT&T is also moving to LTE.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts