+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No voice + data?

is a discussion within the

Verizon / Sprint / CDMA Carrier Q's

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
Originally Posted by nebo1ss @jelionking you should not offer an explanation on technology you do not Understand. Your response is riddled with inaccurate information. The most blatant perhaps is that
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    @jelionking you should not offer an explanation on technology you do not Understand. Your response is riddled with inaccurate information.

The most blatant perhaps is that LTE will carry the data and CDMA the voice. LTE will totally replace CDMA and carry both voice and data simultaneously. AT&T is also moving to LTE.
    +1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    +1

@jelionking you should not offer an explanation on technology you do not Understand. Your response is riddled with inaccurate information.

The most blatant perhaps is that LTE will carry the data and CDMA the voice. LTE will totally replace CDMA and carry both voice and data simultaneously. AT&T is also moving to LTE.
    You are correct, that is blatant. It was a blurb I was writing for another post in another forum and didn't finish editing it. It was supposed to refer to the ability of simultaneous data and voice with wifi.
    Last edited by jwlionking; 01-24-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think its a feature most take for granted, but once you actually couldn't do it you would realize how useful it actually is. then again maybe Im biased because I hardly ever go on wifi with my phone and I am always doing data stuff while in calls.

I don't know how many times I've been on the phone with a friend and wanted to check a movie time and popped out of the call to check times/buy tickets. or if I'm on a call with my mom and she needs help locating doing something on her computer, I can snap a photo and send it to her while still explaining it to her.

essenar, I think the majority of people who will be buying the verizon iphone on launch day will not have the faintest idea of what LTE is. I don't think leaving it out is gonna hurt one bit. I think the biggest obstacle is gonna be people saying wait a second shouldn't the iphone 5 be out in a few months.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwlionking View Post

You are correct, that is blatant. It was a blurb I was writing for another post in another forum and didn't finish editing it. It was supposed to refer to the ability of simultaneous data and voice with wifi.
    lol k

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    Hmm, just to clarify to some people comparing the two- I'm in north mississippi and I have perfect coverage and no dropped calls with AT&T. I tested my 3G service this morning and got 4.1 down, 1.1 up. You cant get those speeds on Verizon 3G. Heck, Verizon didn't exist here at all until last year, when they built their first store. Yet north of me, my parents rural town of 3500 people has a 3G AT&T tower. I simply cannot understand why people knock them so much. I'll continue to enjoy my high speeds, good coverage, good support, data+voice, SIM cards, upgrades every year, etc. Price could be better, but verizon appears no cheaper.
    I agree I don't have any problems with my AT&T service I changed from verizon to them when the iPhone 4 came out and I'm very happy for one I have the same plan now that I did with verizon but I pay less almost a fifty dollar difference plus I get roll over minutes an I have great coverage. I haven'thad not a one dropped call yet

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Voice /data works perfectly on wifi.
    Just like on ATT.

Just no 3G.....no big deal for me.

Thanks

Eventually you will be correct. But you are not right now. Correctly Verizon is only using LTE for data and their CDMA network for voice.

Thanks

Do people actually understand what the E in LTE means?
    It is an Evolution of the WCDMA standard.
    When people refer to CDMA for Verizon they actually use CDMA-2000 whereas when people refer to GSM (Global Standard for Mobiles) the 3G is WCDMA (often referred to as UMTS (Universal Mobile Telephone System) or HSDPA (High Speed Packet Download Access) which is really WCDMA (Wide CDMA as opposed to CDMA-2000)
    The future of WCDMA has been mapped out but LTE stands for Long Term Evolution - Please think about that. The name was chosen for a reason.
    There are different Bands of WCDMA which is why the iPhone won't work on T-Mobile in the USA. The one thing I am certain of is that their will not be one 'standard' of LTE. It will be the same technology but there will be differences.
    Please don't think LTE will be 'released' next year and be full speed.
    The main reason people chose Verizon over AT&T is coverage arguing about which is 'better' is fairly pointless.
    Almost everywhere else in the world (I haven't forgotten Canada - that's why I said almost) CDMA-2000 was dropped but America has a different requirement (large areas need to be covered) so CDMA-2000 made more sense there.
    There is no right or wrong. LTE overcomes the limitations of WCDMA and seems to have been agreed on by almost everyone as the way forward.
    Everything above is from memory - I'm sure people will correct my errors but it's late Saturday night and I can't be bothered to check my 'facts' - I have no doubt others will correct me.

Enjoy what you have. Voice and data is over-rated. Nice to have, but if you've never had it, you won't miss it.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

if you use wifi it works...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

And if you don't have wifi it doesn't

It's not a big deal to many many people, bc really, how many people are browsing the web while they're talking on the phone? Those commercials don't make sense...it's not difficult to hang up and call the other person back after looking up the necessary info.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

even if you're trying to text a photo, it won't go through either. and honestly i look things up while on the phone all the time.

Thanks

Texting/picture messaging shouldn't be affected as it doesn't use data, unless you're using a third party which then does use data. But sure, some people use the web while on the phone. I don't need to and haven't found dire need to though it would have been convenient at times, but those times are probably 1% of my life. But consider getting AT&T now and just for talk+voice, people have to pay around $75 a month with a data plan of 2GB, or choose VZW for unlimited data for equal or even less cost a month. I gladly sacrificed voice+data to make this switch, would it be worth it for others to have such limited data just to have voice+data? But I completely understand where you're coming from, it would be a different story if current AT&T users who already have grandfathered unlimited data to stick with AT&T. If I had been lucky enough to have unlimited data on AT&T, I wouldn't have switched.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Definitely. I had att with iPhone and switched to get unlimited data. So much happier now

Thanks

Lol see, voice+data wasn't enough for you to stay away from unlimited data

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No way! I can deal with hooking up to wifi to use it. I was just saying I am one of those who look up crap on the Internet while on the phone lol. I love not worrying about data while I'm outing watchig YouTube or something.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mysterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Unlimited data on Verizon is great
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Texting/picture messaging shouldn't be affected as it doesn't use data,
    This is half correct. Texting is not effecting. Picture messaging, aka MMS, is. You cannot MMS while talking on the pone on Verizon's network.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

I'm still skeptical about that. How do people who don't have a data plan pic message then?

Thanks

MMS does use the data network over a seperate APN and, certainly here in Europe, has always been charges along the lines of SMS (except more expensive) and not part of data plans.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Z!G
    Thanks

I send text during a phone call all the time..............It's 3G internet you are restricted from while in a call. Nothing else............................Just that.

I would love to know this also.....................Good question................Maybe this feature can use data if you have no data plan, but will cost you..............I dont know.lol. Like it gets activated rite as you send the pic but then instantly deavtivated after the MMS is sent.............................Only thing I can think of...........

Unless the Carriers are lying about having to use data for MMS so they can charge you when really they can make it work like a SMS.

That's not so far fetched for me to believe.lol
    Last edited by Z!G; 12-18-2011 at 09:56 AM.
    {~~iPhone-4 (CDMA)~~~~iOS 5.0.1~~~~redsn0w 0.9.10b3~~}

{~~iPod Touch-4G~~~~iOS 5.0.1~~~~redsn0w 0.9.10b3}

And yes, My jailbreak is sooooooooooooooooooo smooth and flawless. Well, almost flawless