Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cheapest Plan?

Quote Originally Posted by OMGANDY View Post
    So your telling me the discounts will show up after everything is processed? I don't want to be stuck with the $90 charge if it doesn't apply online
    I have received a bill with my iphone, and MRC discounts still applied.

If you have doubts, email Verizon customer service. They will outline your agreement and you will get their response in-writing.

In my own personal experience, the discount wasn't available on the iPhone hardware (other handsets got special pricing) but the MRC discounts were still valid.

i have finally figured out what plan i wanna get when i make the switch to Verizon.
    my only questions are...

1. are there any hidden "first time" fees?

2. if i get the unlimited data plan. will it be grandfathered in, after i stay with them for more than 2 years?

3. Does MyWi tethering work without getting tracked by the provider?

i'm making the switch this weekend as soon as i sell my iPhone 3G.
    i'm picking the plan with 450 mins/unlimited text + unlimited data + insurance.
    which should only cost me about "$100.97+tax" ($59.99 for 450mins. & unlimited text/$29.99 for unlimited data/$10.99 for insurance)

i'm gonna get the iPhone 4 (16GB) and paying for the activation fee($35) at the same time so nothing else gets added to my first bill.

Quote Originally Posted by mpossoff View Post
    With the Phone GV jailbreak extension I love the way GV works. It's completely integrated the way Apple should have done it.
    I totally agree. (I just wish the GV direct dial app/extensions used the same callback number. Click to call is ok, but i like the seamlessness of the direct dial feature. However, I can't keep changing the Friends and Family number every other day since I'm on a friend's family plan)

I may have everyone beat here, if I'm not mistaken:

$10 add a phone (I know, I'm a "freeloader" by not splitting equally, but I'm a student and in between jobs, so he agreed I could just pay the additional fee since I'm not using any of the prime time minutes)
    $30 data
    $0 Google Voice as one of the Friends and Family Number
    UL Verizon texts (SMS/MMS) as part of the Family Plan (unexpected surprise, but helps when I want to send MMS)
    UL Voice Calls with Google Voice
    $10.99 Insurance

Total before taxes: $50.99
    Last edited by quicknight; 05-04-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Why the insurance? Insurance with cell carriers usually go through third-party companies and Verizon's in particular have poor customer service as well as poor policies. Unless I'm mistaken and times have changed ... that's what I remember. Better to buy Apple Care than to spend $132 a year (that's $10.99 a month right?)

@i.Annie I believe you are correct with the $10.99 monthly rate. However, I checked with my renters insurance and with the $500 deductible, I'm actually better off going with the VZW insurance and a $200 (?) deductible. Applecare? Well, it's basically just an extended WARRANTY, not insurance--doesn't cover loss, damage, or theft. VZW is extended warranty PLUS insurance. (Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.)

I also considered carrying neither and just buying an replacement on craigslist. This would probably work for ATT customers, with a slight downgrade to 3GS or 3G, but the VZW iPhone 4 still holds a bit of value right now since it's fairly new.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Why the insurance? Insurance with cell carriers usually go through third-party companies and Verizon's in particular have poor customer service as well as poor policies. Unless I'm mistaken and times have changed ... that's what I remember. Better to buy Apple Care than to spend $132 a year (that's $10.99 a month right?)
    Last edited by quicknight; 08-28-2011 at 05:58 AM. Reason: correction, addition

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

An iPhone 4 will retain its value for quite some time, so that isn't a concern.

I have neither. In my history of having iPhones (that's probably around 4 years) I've never had to have work done on my devices. But if I had to choose I'd choose Apple Care. The warranty extends the original warranty, yes, it isn't insurance like you said, but it covers a lot of things. Of course water damage not included. But I don't drop my phones in water so I don't feel endangered. I just can't imagine paying close to $300 for 2 years, or over $130 for a year for insurance on a phone.

I pay about $80/month, and this is the cheapest plan an iPhone user can get. It used to be around $100, but I removed message bundles. It costs almost nothing because I use iMessage and other 3rd party messaging apps.
    iPhone 4S White / Verizon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12