+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restoring help

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey all, You may have seen my post about the ugly theme installed on my iPhone that I do not know how to get rid of. Anyways, I've decided that
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Restoring help
    Hey all,

You may have seen my post about the ugly theme installed on my iPhone that I do not know how to get rid of.

Anyways, I've decided that maybe I should restore my iPhone so that I can get the default theme back. I'll have to reenter my contacts and things, but I guess im okay with that.

Heres the facts:

- I have an unlocked iPhone with 3rd party apps.
    - I have iTunes version 7.3.0.54

If I just plug in the iPhone, click iPhone, and click restore, will this work sucsessfully? Or, will it brick my iPhone? Will it update it to 1.1.1 whilst restoring?

If so, or if anyone knows how to get the default theme back, please suggest alternatives (but please! write any tutorials/explanations simply as I'm a noob!)

Thanks!

Sorry; basically my main question is WILL RESTORING UPDATE MY 1.0.2 FIRMWARE TO 1.1.1, and WILL THE IPHONE STILL BE UNLOCKED (unlocked with iPhoneSimFree)

BY THE WAY: I dont know if this makes a difference but the theme was installed when I got it, does this mean restoring wont change the theme back to default?

Thanks a lot for your help everyone!!!!!
    Last edited by iRyan; 10-05-2007 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I think it will try to restore it to 1.1.1... I've heard you have to Alt/Option+Click the restore button in iTunes or something similar to select the 1.0.2 firmware... You know, if you just want to get rid of a theme, all the stock icons are available in the download section.
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=10

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRyan View Post
    Hey all,

Heres the facts:

- I have an unlocked iPhone with 3rd party apps.
    - I have iTunes version 7.3.0.54

If I just plug in the iPhone, click iPhone, and click restore, will this work sucsessfully? Or, will it brick my iPhone? Will it update it to 1.1.1 whilst restoring?

Sorry; basically my main question is WILL RESTORING UPDATE MY 1.0.2 FIRMWARE TO 1.1.1, and WILL THE IPHONE STILL BE UNLOCKED (unlocked with iPhoneSimFree)

Thanks a lot for your help everyone!!!!!
    I've got a similar issue minus the ugly desktop theme. The question I'm trying to get answered is if I can update an unlocked phone to 1.1.1 without completely bricking it. I tried Option+Restore and I get an Error(1) message when I select the firmware update file on my mac. So now my phone is halfway into the restore process and it seems my only avenue is to risk it with a restore and update from Apple's update server. And my instincts say this is baaaad. Are my instincts correct? Am I a button click away from a brand new iBrick? THANKS!

As it turns out my instincts were, in fact, wrong. I updated to 1.1.1 and my phone is fully functional. Of course my phone wasn't so unlocked as to have another carrier than AT&T, so I guess I was still clean enough to pass the test. All my 3rd party apps are predictably toast but I was expecting that. I've got hearing issues and even a slightly louder speaker is worth the trade-off in my case. Besides, 1.1.1 was just hacked, I'll be losing a week or two at the most =)
    Last edited by bd-in-pdx; 10-06-2007 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me Digital Oxygen's Avatar
    Thanks

1.1.1 is hacked? Link to this info please?