+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 4, baseband not supported by anybody?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
This is a weird story. I have a really good friend who works in retail. They have had an iphone 4 in lost and found for 6 months. It was
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Iphone 4, baseband not supported by anybody?
    This is a weird story. I have a really good friend who works in retail. They have had an iphone 4 in lost and found for 6 months. It was released to him, so he took it home. The carrier was ATT.

I literally know nothing about Iphones. Right now, I do not have a cell phone, so he signed me onto his account with tmobile. He got the smaller SIM card and everything.

He jailbroke it, installed cydia. There is an icon that says, SAMprefs with a little picture of the contacts of a SIM card.

He sent me the phone, telling me he did not know what else to do. He could not get it to work.

When I click the SAMprefs icon, and click, utilities, then activation, I get the following message:

Activation reports error:
    Activationinfo rejected. You must select the original carrier SMID of your phone.

I tried searching for that error on google, and tried some things (Using ifile to delete some files, removing the SIm card, and restarting the phone, then inserting it) but they did not work.

I have the phone connected to wifi. It says, "No service" in the upper left hand corner. I found out about the Gevey sim card, but it does not look like it will work with my modem firmware.

If I cannot get this to be a phone, I pretty much have a fairly decent camera and ipod-ish thing that I can watch videos on, when I upload them to it.

Can anyone please help?

About my phone:

Iphone 4
    Version: 7.0.4 (11B554a)
    Carrier: Not Available
    Model: MC536LL/A
    Modem Firmware: 04.12.09

Thanks
    Thanked 14,778 Times in 6,873 Posts

Looks like it's locked to Att from the sound of it. If it is then you can try to apple for a unlock with Att themselves but they may not do it. So you would have to use a third party unlocking site like ideviceguys.com to get it done. SAM or a Gevey sim won't help you with that phone with that modem firmware.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you very much for that answer.

I talked with Apple, and they said they couldn't unlock it. They said it has to be unlocked by the carrier.

How do those pay to unlock IMEI sights work? Are they all hackers, or what?

I am going to go into the ATT store tomorrow and tell them my story. We'll see what they say.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tundrawolf View Post
    Thank you very much for that answer.

I talked with Apple, and they said they couldn't unlock it. They said it has to be unlocked by the carrier.

How do those pay to unlock IMEI sights work? Are they all hackers, or what?

I am going to go into the ATT store tomorrow and tell them my story. We'll see what they say.
    They probably know someone who works on the inside that can unlock the phones for cheap. Then they resell that service to you for a higher price to make a profit.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,778 Times in 6,873 Posts

^ I believe that is pretty much it.