+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Being blackmailed.Can someone that is not me blacklist my iPhone 5S just with the IMEI?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I own an iPhone 5S that I bought directly from at&t and I have an account with them where this phone is associated with. I recently used an iPhone unlocking
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation Being blackmailed.Can someone that is not me blacklist my iPhone 5S just with the IMEI?
    I own an iPhone 5S that I bought directly from at&t and I have an account with them where this phone is associated with.

I recently used an iPhone unlocking service so I could use the phone overseas so I paid their fee and gave the IMEI of the phone. After a two month wait and lots of runarounds I decided to start a paypal dispute over the matter and demanded a refund. He never refunded the money and dispute is ongoing.

Unlocking service is now threatening to blacklist my iPhone 5S if I don't drop the dispute. The question is, is this possible?

I bought the phone from at&t and I have a good standing account with them on this phone. Can anyone other than me blacklist this phone's IMEI?

thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 9,491 Times in 5,833 Posts

Certainly AT&T would step in and deal with the account if necessary. I don't know for sure, but it would seam like it would not be possible for someone not associated with the account have the capabilities. But again, your carrier should easily be able to resolve it if it did happen.

Not the first time I have heard issues with phone unlocking companies. It's not as easy (or as cheap)as it once was to unlock them.
    Sorry your having a problem like this.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 01-16-2014 at 06:55 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

iphonelvr (01-16-2014)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Certainly AT&T would step in and deal with the account if necessary. I don't know for sure, but it would seam like it would not be possible for someone not associated with the account have the capabilities. But again, your carrier should easily be able to resolve it if it did happen.
    My concern is that all these at&t unlocking services have some insider that can send your iPhone's IMEI to Apple, so seems conceivable that those same insiders could blacklist a perfectly legitimate iPhone...

Thanks

A blacklisting is technically possible. Although, if this person can't get your unlock done, the odds are very slim they'll have the operational capability to get it done through "hacker" channels (a social engineering attempt would be far more likely).

If it's blacklisted, a quick trip to AT&T with your ID, proof of purchase, and the phone itself should get it resolved.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i can only guess who the unlocker is ?

Thanks

Tell me who he is? I run into the same problem too.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'm guessing it's toasty

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Don't worry about it. Seriously.

Sellers always use this threat to avoid PayPal disputes.

If you paid with your Credit Card, file a claim with them first. They'll take care of it. PayPal always refunds when it comes to Credit Card disputes.

Green Apple
    Thanks

if the phone really is yours and you have paid in all legit ways theres no way some 3rd party bum can get your imei blocked. if they some how did just go to your carrier and they'll unblock it.