+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Toasty Unlocks really a scam or just practicing bad business?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi, I've been lurking this forum for a while, but actually needed some help today. I ordered some unlocks from Toasty Unlocks on 12/2 when they were running a promotion
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thumbs down Is Toasty Unlocks really a scam or just practicing bad business?
    Hi,

I've been lurking this forum for a while, but actually needed some help today.

I ordered some unlocks from Toasty Unlocks on 12/2 when they were running a promotion on unlocking the iPhone 5s / 5c. After contacting them a few times last week, and not getting any response, I finally got a general email blast from them saying the last batch of unlocks would be done this Friday 12/27 (after extending the date a few times). They weren't and as per the email, this is the last batch of unlocks.

I noticed some recent Facebook activity in the last 24 hours, but he has gone to the extreme of blocking me from commenting on his FB page anymore, probably because I am calling him out on not answering my emails, refunding me, or providing me the unlocks.

Anyone else care to share on this guy Ray Alvarez and Toasty Unlocks?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arplayer2k View Post
    Hi,

I've been lurking this forum for a while, but actually needed some help today.

I ordered some unlocks from Toasty Unlocks on 12/2 when they were running a promotion on unlocking the iPhone 5s / 5c. After contacting them a few times last week, and not getting any response, I finally got a general email blast from them saying the last batch of unlocks would be done this Friday 12/27 (after extending the date a few times). They weren't and as per the email, this is the last batch of unlocks.

I noticed some recent Facebook activity in the last 24 hours, but he has gone to the extreme of blocking me from commenting on his FB page anymore, probably because I am calling him out on not answering my emails, refunding me, or providing me the unlocks.

Anyone else care to share on this guy Ray Alvarez and Toasty Unlocks?
    Have you filed a claim in PayPal?

You are not the only one sharing a story like this about Toasty. I've seen a few other customers tell the same story you have.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I ordered from toasty unlocks on nov 14. He would reply a few times to my email saying i was on the next batch. Waited until dec 14 and asked for a refund. He said "confirmed receipt" but never got a refund. A week later i filed a paypal dispute and got my money back after 2 days. & just yesterday i ordered from idevice and took less than a day to get my phone unlocked. I say file a dispute if u still can goodluck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nanda12 For This Useful Post:

Cowboy (12-30-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Nanda12 - How were you able to win the PayPal dispute? I am pretty sure they don't cover Intangible Items under their buyer protection.

I am having the same exact problem with the guy. For example, he responds to 1 of 3 messages I sent again last night, asking for my IMEI's and PayPal address. Then he doesn't respond back. I will be filing a claim with AMEX pretty soon, just a total nightmare to deal with this guy. I only waited this long because the price was good, and I was losing less money on the phones after they were unlocked.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Im not sure how exactly i just put a description of what happened.
    I was in the same boat as you. Only ordered from toasty unlocks because it was the only one i could afford. Took me more than a month to be able to afford ideviceguys. Only a college student

Thanks
    Thanked 15,009 Times in 6,921 Posts

Toasty = shady

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I purchased from toasty for $55. 3 weeks later still nothing. I emailed them for refund and I got my money back same day.

Thanks

Be prepared! He'll call you names if you're messing with him.
    Hahaha.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Another toasty victim here.

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at the beginning but he started promising that my unlock would happen in the next batch, next week. He would send emails out with stats of how many phones had been unlocked that week with his service, probably all fake.

Two months later still nothing. Asked for refund in many polite ways, still nothing. So I'm disputing the transaction now with Paypal but he is now blackmailing me saying he'll go ahead and put the IMEI into the blacklist if I don't close the dispute, which I seriously doubt he can do, as I bought the phone originally from att and I own the account associated with it.
    Last edited by iphonelvr; 01-16-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphonelvr View Post
    Another toasty victim here.

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at the beginning but he started promising that my unlock would happen in the next batch, next week. He would send emails out with stats of how many phones had been unlocked that week with his service, probably all fake.

Two months later still nothing. Asked for refund in many polite ways, still nothing. So I'm disputing the transaction now with Paypal but he is now blackmailing me saying he'll go ahead and put the IMEI into the blacklist if I don't close the dispute, which I seriously doubt he can do, as I bought the phone originally from att and I own the account associated with it.
    Tell him to go ahead and put the imei 'into the blacklist' and see what he says.

Don't worry, it can't be done.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nicholasss For This Useful Post:

iphonelvr (01-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

+1
    If he can't unlock he for sure can't blacklist lol
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

nicholasss (01-21-2014)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    +1
    If he can't unlock he for sure can't blacklist lol
    Interestingly, I have all the time in the world and I can wait. I just want the thing unlocked so I can use it abroad whenever I go there. Time was not much of an issue and even paying a bit more money for it neither. I understand it's tough for the unlocking guys to find someone at at&t that will do this for them and I'm willing to play along, but it's the constant lies that threw me off and made me pursue getting my money now.

Although I have no definite proof, to my eyes this guy seems to be running quite an elaborate theater production. Sometimes out of nowhere he would send emails to people saying "Hey guys.. phones with IMEI xxxxxxxxx3435, xxxxxxxxx2342, xxxxxxxxx7867 have been processed and are now unlocked. I lost your emails that's why I'm sending this email to everybody" I'm assuming those were not real IMEIs and email was sent to give the impression there was something going on. He then would label his levels of unlocking service as "rock solid", "stable", as this was some sort of extremely difficult engineering feat to achieve that needed continuous and tenacious effort. Last but not least, would be the constant upsell efforts, maybe this was the key of his business model. He would sign up people for his '$55-$80 slow service' and then try to upsell them to the 'speed demon' level at the customary ~$140 which seems to be the going rate, obviously demanding the difference. My assumption, which seems plausible, is that he knew well beforehand those $55-$80 orders would never be fulllfiled but they could be used as a bait to get people to just pay another ~$60 to upgrade to 'speed demon' now they were tied with him.

scam or just practicing bad business. do i really need to answer that one?

Quote Originally Posted by arplayer2k View Post
    Nanda12 - How were you able to win the PayPal dispute? I am pretty sure they don't cover Intangible Items under their buyer protection.
    I think you can win the PayPal dispute if you let paypal know the transaction is fraud, given the fact the guy never provided the service to start with and refuses a refund. Start a regular dispute with him on PayPal asking for refund and when ignores or disagrees then you can escalate the dispute to a claim. If paypal still doesn't side with you you can go ahead with a chargeback through your credit card company. He's gonna have a lot tougher time fighting that one.
    Last edited by iphonelvr; 01-16-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks

Interestingly, I have all the time in the world and I can wait. I just want the thing unlocked so I can use it abroad whenever I go there. Time was not much of an issue and even paying a bit more money for it neither. I understand it's tough for the unlocking guys to find someone at at&t that will do this for them and I'm willing to play along, but it's the constant lies that threw me off and made me pursue getting my money now.

Although I have no definite proof, to my eyes this guy seems to be running quite an elaborate theater production. Sometimes out of nowhere he would send emails to people saying "Hey guys.. phones with IMEI xxxxxxxxx3435, xxxxxxxxx2342, xxxxxxxxx7867 have been processed and are now unlocked. I lost your emails that's why I'm sending this email to everybody" I'm assuming those were not real IMEIs and email was sent to give the impression there was something going on. He then would label his levels of unlocking service as "rock solid", "stable", as this was some sort of extremely difficult engineering feat to achieve that needed continuous and tenacious effort. Last but not least, would be the constant upsell efforts, maybe this was the key of his business model. He would sign up people for his '$55-$80 slow service' and then try to upsell them to the 'speed demon' level at the customary ~$140 which seems to be the going rate, obviously demanding the difference. My assumption, which seems plausible, is that he knew well beforehand those $55-$80 orders would never be fulllfiled but they could be used as a bait to get people to just pay another ~$60 to upgrade to 'speed demon' now they were tied with him.

scam or just practicing bad business. do i really need to answer that one?

Well said, iphonelvr.

He seems to love attacking a certain Twitter Unlocker as well.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Good to know that I am not the one who got scammed by Toastyunlocks.
    I ordered around mid Nov, received confirmation. I received e-mail within 2 weeks that my IMEI will be in next batch which never happened. I sent multiple e-mails no response. Posted on Facebook no replies instead deleted my posts and banned me to post on their site.
    I will recommend that stay away from Toastyunlocks and open dispute with PayPal within 45 days otherwise PayPal will just close your case indicating you are past 45 days. I was just over 3 days.

Spend your money elsewhere.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have some updates on this.

Toasty produced a phony 'shipment' with USPS tracking number and mailed a letter to my address. The postman delivered it and Paypal has now sided with Toasty because shipment was delivered!! I have now proceeded to dispute the charge with my credit card. Let's see if I have more luck there.

This is all obviously extremely shady and fraudulent activity. Is there anything else that can be done about this? Like file a police report or something else? Something must be done to stop this guy in his tracks.

I suggest anyone who is having an issue with Toasty to either start paypal disputes right away or start a dispute with the credit card company. Sooner or later all this wrongdoing will get back to him.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

has toasty ever successfully unlocked a 5s? or is this guy simply stealing money?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    has toasty ever successfully unlocked a 5s? or is this guy simply stealing money?
    I know he has at least done one because he admitted buying through me lol

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

I have some updates on this.

Toasty produced a phony 'shipment' with USPS tracking number and mailed a letter to my address. The postman delivered it and Paypal has now sided with Toasty because shipment was delivered!! I have now proceeded to dispute the charge with my credit card. Let's see if I have more luck there.

This is all obviously extremely shady and fraudulent activity. Is there anything else that can be done about this? Like file a police report or something else? Something must be done to stop this guy in his tracks.

I suggest anyone who is having an issue with Toasty to either start paypal disputes right away or start a dispute with the credit card company. Sooner or later all this wrongdoing will get back to him.
    You should be able to get your money back by filing a claim with your credit card company.

Did you pay for the unlock as a good or service ? Do you have any old messages / emails etc mentioning the unlock service ?

If you can show PayPal that you were paying for a service and not a good, you should be able to appeal.

I know he has at least done one because he admitted buying through me lol
    He also tried claiming that he unlocked a 5s that I provided for free on another thread here. Smh.

Thanks

Haha he is a class act

iPhone? More like MyPhone zeppy's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha he is a class act
    Lot's of hate on Ray and toastyunlocks.com

"Cowboy and others do provide a valuable unlock service" and the price charged is often
    the biggest selling point for some purchasers of unlocks.

Some of my friends have received successful unlocks from toastyunlocks for $65 for an iPhone 5.
    Cowboy charges around $65 to unlock an iPhone 4S and below, but much more than $65 for an iPhone 5.

My $65 iPhone 5 unlock is pending from toastyunlocks and was placed on 1/12/14.

Will be posting a followup love or hate message regarding toastyunlocks depending on the outcome.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast