Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Lost iPhone IMEI blacklist Question

Default Lost iPhone IMEI blacklist Question
    I lost my iPhone 5 two weeks ago and reported it lost to At&t, claimed insurance on it to get a new device. However, if i run an IMEI check on the lost phone it still comes back as clean. Am I missing something ? Aren't lost phones supposed to be blacklisted and virtually be iPods ?

Quote Originally Posted by fruitsalt View Post
    I lost my iPhone 5 two weeks ago and reported it lost to At&t, claimed insurance on it to get a new device. However, if i run an IMEI check on the lost phone it still comes back as clean. Am I missing something ? Aren't lost phones supposed to be blacklisted and virtually be iPods ?

Technically yes, but if the person who found/stole your iPhone has AT&T already, all they have to do is insert their SIM card into the phone an it will work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rdiddy_25 View Post
    Technically yes, but if the person who found/stole your iPhone has AT&T already, all they have to do is insert their SIM card into the phone an it will work.
    Well, not quite.

If an iPhone has been reported as lost, its IMEI should be added to the US blacklist, meaning the device won't work on AT&T/T-Mo/etc., even if unlocked or if the illicit owner has a SIM for it.

However, this blacklist is neither foolproof nor ironclad... and let's leave it at that?

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Well, not quite.

If an iPhone has been reported as lost, its IMEI should be added to the US blacklist, meaning the device won't work on AT&T/T-Mo/etc., even if unlocked or if the illicit owner has a SIM for it.

However, this blacklist is neither foolproof nor ironclad... and let's leave it at that?
    Thank you for your reply, I have a few questions though:
    1) Does it take sometime to be added to the blacklist ? I thought it was instant, as soon as you report it, it gets added to the blacklist.
    2) I have read that verizon Iphones do not show up as blacklisted till a valid working LTE sim is inserted into the phone, then and only then it pops up as blacklisted otherwise even the verizon reps see it as a clean IMEI/ESN phone. I was wondering if the same applies to At&t ?

I have already gotten a new phone from insurance so the lost one doesnt really concern me but I am just wondering on how the process works.

Yes, it does take time to show up as blacklisted on some websites.
    Once, it's blacklisted. If you insert any gsm sim domestically (att or tmobile). It will kill that sim in a few minutes. But if you use it with international sims, it'll work just fine!

Verizon iPhones are diff. Once it's blacklisted, it only blacklisted with Verizon. You can still use it with any gsm sim.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

He can use it outside of USa correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by holycowe View Post
    Verizon iPhones are diff. Once it's blacklisted, it only blacklisted with Verizon. You can still use it with any gsm sim.
    R u sure? I think it work just like every phone........ wont work on any us carrier.

Wrong Blacklisted or Not blacklisted Verizon iPhones will only work outside the USA on a gsm network.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here