+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Do I need ios7 to unlock?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So my 4S was recently unlocked, well almost... I just have to restore it per AT&T's instructions and it will be unlocked. I obviously would like to stick with my
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Question Do I need ios7 to unlock?
    So my 4S was recently unlocked, well almost... I just have to restore it per AT&T's instructions and it will be unlocked. I obviously would like to stick with my v6.1.2 so I can keep it jailbroken, however I keep getting "unknown error 3194" while trying to restore to the same firmware. I looked up the issue and tried blocking apple's server in my hosts file, still the same problem (sometimes I get error 3004), and also when I've tried by putting it in DFU mode first, I get error 21. :/

This isn't an internet connection problem because I've tried on multiple pc's/locations, and with no anti-virus or firewall. So does this mean I just need to let iTunes upgrade to the latest ios to unlock it?

I tried to just restore from my backup, which works but doesn't unlock it.
    - Dai

Oh Apple, how I loath thee. Why do I still use your products???

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kioes's Avatar
    Thanks

Try changing the host to Cydia for the restore as Apple does not sign 6.1.2 anymore,

Follow this method,
    All we need, then, is to make iTunes use it. Luckily, most operating systems also have the ability to locally define bypasses on specific hostnames through a file called hosts. Using this, we can redirect requests to Apple's signature server to Cydia.
    So, open the file CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file.
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    Hit the thanks button if i helped in anyway

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,422 Times in 6,008 Posts

You can't restore to that firmware on a 4s, sorry.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kioes View Post
    Try changing the host to Cydia for the restore as Apple does not sign 6.1.2 anymore,

Yep tried that, gives me a different error. How does that change it to Cydia? Isn't that just blocking Apple?
    - Dai

Thanks

You actually shouldn't need to restore your device at all.

Download redsn0w 0.9.15b3 for OS X or Windows, and go to Extras -> Even More -> Deactivate with your iPhone connected via USB sync cable. Then close redsn0w and open iTunes. Hopefully, you'll see a message about "Your iPhone has been successfully unlocked," at which point you're golden.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    You actually shouldn't need to restore your device at all.

Download redsn0w 0.9.15b3 for OS X or Windows, and go to Extras -> Even More -> Deactivate with your iPhone connected via USB sync cable. Then close redsn0w and open iTunes. Hopefully, you'll see a message about "Your iPhone has been successfully unlocked," at which point you're golden.
    No option to deactivate... only Restore, Identify, Backup, Tickets, DFU, and Prefs. I should be able to restore that way, no? I tried and I got a warning that the firmware isn't signed anymore and Apple will probably update the baseband. Shouldn't be a problem though? o.o
    - Dai

Thanks
    Thanked 14,866 Times in 6,897 Posts

deactivate is found after you choose the jailbreak option.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    deactivate is found after you choose the jailbreak option.
    Uh, am I missing something here? This is with redsn0w 0.9.15b3 (OS X version) with my iPhone 5 plugged in on 6.1.4 (Extras -> Even More).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Uh, am I missing something here? This is with redsn0w 0.9.15b3 (OS X version) with my iPhone 5 plugged in on 6.1.4 (Extras -> Even More).

This is mine, iPhone 5 on 6.1:

Whenever I have had to deactivate a phone so that I could activate an official unlock I have always found the deactivate after pressing jailbreak, in the screen after that where you also have the option of installing cydia.

Edit: Plugging in my 5S changed that "Tickets" button to "Deactivate", seems that button there is more to do with the old SAM method unlock. I am guessing the deactivate there is no different than the one found after selecting jailbreak.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yeah... I don't have the Deactivate button, it says "Tickets". I also can't select jailbreak since it's already jailbroken.

Wonder if I can deactivate by putting another SIM card in? What about selecting "Restore"?
    - Dai

Thanks

You have a 4S right? If so you don't need to deactivate. Just put a sim from a different carrier in them connect to wifi or iTunes.