+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4, 4.3.3 baseband 1.59.00 (AT&T, using T-Mobile)

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys, I've been so out of the loop when it comes to my iPhone, I guess that explains why it's still at version 4.3.3. I'm wanting to update it
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default iPhone 4, 4.3.3 baseband 1.59.00 (AT&T, using T-Mobile)
    Hey guys, I've been so out of the loop when it comes to my iPhone, I guess that explains why it's still at version 4.3.3. I'm wanting to update it to the newest safest version, All I'm really worried about is it still being unlocked...a jailbreak would be awesome but not necessary. Also curious about losing the data currently on my phone and if anything needs to be backed up. After searching on the internet everything is still unclear on how to do it the correct way, and the proper steps to take. I was wondering if anyone could clarify? thanks in advance guys!

Thanks

Okay, first question: what SHSH blobs do you have saved for your iPhone? You can check via the "TSS Center" on the front page of Cydia.

Sidenote: an iPhone 4 with 4.3.3 on it (and from AT&T) is almost assuredly out of its original two-year service contract. You can probably get it unlocked from AT&T (for free) by filling out their form. If that doesn't work, you may want to consider an IMEI unlock from one of many providers (or you can maintain the 01.59.00 baseband).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

militant (10-12-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    The SHSH's shown are 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.2-b3, 4.3, 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5, 4.3-b2, 4.3-b3, 5.0.1, 5.1, 5.1.1, 5.1.1r1.

If I could maintain the 1.59.00 baseband and avoid having to hunt for an unlock that would be perfect...especially because it's my only phone and currently in use...thanks so much.

Thanks

Okay, if you want to maintain your jailbreak (and thus unlock), you'll only be able to go as far as iOS 5.1.1.

Download redsn0w 0.9.15b3 for OS X or Windows here, along with a copy of the iOS 5.1.1 IPSW file. Go to Extras -> Even More -> Restore in redsn0w, point to that downloaded IPSW, and let the system do its thing. Redsn0w should prevent a baseband update as part of its restore process. Once on 5.1.1, go to redsn0w's Jailbreak and enter DFU following redsn0w's instructions. Select "Install Cydia" and also "Hacktivate" if you don't have a SIM card for your phone's original carrier. Once the jailbreaking process is done, install ultrasn0w. If you needed to hacktivate, add the repository "repo.bingner.com" in Cydia under manage, and install the package "SAM." In the Settings application after installation, look for SAM's preferences. Enable SAM and make sure the method is set to "Auto Detect." With that in place, hit "Revert lockdownd" and plug your iPhone into iTunes, at which point you should be legitimately activated. Once activated, you can safely uninstall SAM (and ultrasn0w should be taking care of you for cell service).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

militant (10-12-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Thank you so much for taking the time to help me Orby I am genuinely grateful. The only thing still a bit unclear to me is if I will be losing any data during this process...(phone numbers, pictures etc..). Also, I once had a the original AT&T sim but that's probably long gone, besides the extra steps needed to hacktivate are there any negative effects to doing so?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by militant View Post
    Thank you so much for taking the time to help me Orby I am genuinely grateful. The only thing still a bit unclear to me is if I will be losing any data during this process...(phone numbers, pictures etc..). Also, I once had a the original AT&T sim but that's probably long gone, besides the extra steps needed to hacktivate are there any negative effects to doing so?
    Unfortunately, the restore process will totally erase your phone's contents. While much of it can be restored in some form or another (to use your two examples: if you sync your contacts with iCloud, Google, or your local Windows/OS X contact book, they can be copied from there; your photos can be synced back from iPhoto or another folder on your computer in addition to iCloud's Photo Stream for your more recent pictures), the process is designed to return your phone to a clean slate.

While you can restore from a backup of your current phone's installation, I would advise you not pursue that option. Instead, use iTunes to manually re-add your apps, music, books, movies, photos, etc. and sync over any contacts, notes etc. via over-the-air (OTA) syncing or via iTunes. The only things that can't really be hedged against are SMS/MMS/iMessages and third-party app data (e.g., a game's progress save that isn't backed up to iCloud).

Hacktivation, if left "unfixed" by SAM and a proper iTunes activation, will lead to rampant battery drain and possible lost/wrong deliveries of push notifications. However, if properly activated with iTunes, no negative effects should result.