Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Phone locked to network by custom IPSW?

Default Phone locked to network by custom IPSW?
    I tried to jailbreak my phone and it didnnt work so I tried with a custom GSM firmware which didnt work either. So i just ended up upgraded the IOS in itunes to get rid of the jailbreak.

Thing is now its locked to some foreign network and the apple store cant do a thing to unlock it as they say its locked to another network?

Thanks

Unlocks via the official channel (either from Apple, your carrier, or a third-party unlocking service) are not affected by restores at all--the unlock status is stored with Apple and delivered to your phone on-demand. It sounds like an unscrupulous unlock vendor may have re-locked your device to another carrier.

However, if you were using ultrasn0w or an interposition device (e.g., a Gevey), then that restore to stock firmware just sank the unlock.

The phone was already locked before I tried to jailbreak or try to get someone to unlock my phone although I didn't check exactly who it was locked to(I knew it was australian network most likely Telstra)

I tried some guy on ebay who unlocks phones and he told me it was Telstra and then said it was locked to a Norway Service so do you think he has locked it to them? He then said the IMEI was blocked and he couldnt unlock it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb87 View Post
    The phone was already locked before I tried to jailbreak or try to get someone to unlock my phone although I didn't check exactly who it was locked to(I knew it was australian network most likely Telstra)

I tried some guy on ebay who unlocks phones and he told me it was Telstra and then said it was locked to a Norway Service so do you think he has locked it to them? He then said the IMEI was blocked and he couldnt unlock it.
    No, in that case I think it actually is a phone with a checkered history from Norway. I'm afraid you're likely in bad shape.

So you dont think anyone has locked my phone to norway? So whats happened is the phone was taken to norway and someone bought a sim over there and it got locked to that network?

Thanks

So you dont think anyone has locked my phone to norway? So whats happened is the phone was taken to norway and someone bought a sim over there and it got locked to that network?
    It sounds like you purchased this iPhone second-hand. Is that the case? If so, I'd venture that the phone was not originally sold in Australia, but Norway. As far as I am aware, iPhones that are sold carrier-locked are locked to their carriers from their purchase, not necessarily the first SIM they see afterwards.

Also, I doubt the eBay seller would have locked (and barred) your iPhone without reason, as my understanding of the process is it's equal parts expensive and technically challenging.

Actually the phone was from my sisters BF who supposedly bought it from a apple store in australia and was on a plan with telstra. The screen got cracked so he ended up just buying an iphone 5 and gave the phone to my sister he got the screen fixed before giving it to her.

So im guessing he went on a holiday to Norway and got a sim there which then locked the phone?

Thanks

Actually the phone was from my sisters BF who supposedly bought it from a apple store in australia and was on a plan with telstra. The screen got cracked so he ended up just buying an iphone 5 and gave the phone to my sister he got the screen fixed before giving it to her.

So im guessing he went on a holiday to Norway and got a sim there which then locked the phone?
    ...hmm, to be quite honest I doubt it, particularly if he used the phone in Australia first. Also Norway seems like a very odd place to vacation if you're an Australian (no offense, but it's a damned long flight), particularly if you don't know with a degree of certainty he went there.

Ultimately, it's a moot point. Now that all signs point to it being locked and barred on a Norwegian network, it's frankly of no use to you. You can try contacting Chronic (of Chronic-Dev fame, will at chronicunlocks dot com) or Cowboy (the moderator here, info at ideviceguys dot com) and see if they can do anything... but to be direct, I'm quite afraid you have a fancy new paperweight.

So you don't think even they could unlock it? I'm guessing there is no jailbreak method that can get the phone to work?