Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help upgrading iphone 4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Need help upgrading iphone 4
    Currently using an att unlocked iphone 4 on iOS 5.0.1(9a405). I would like to upgrade my iOS while still being able to use my phone on tmobile. Can I someone point me out on instructions to do this? I unlocked my phone a while back, I can't remember the exact method I used but I did not unlock through att. My baseband is 04.11.08. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Begin ya said unlocked with AT&T at the end ya said not not understanding.

Thanks

Okay, two questions for you:

1) Do you some interposition device in your phone like a Gevey SIM, or do you just plug your SIM in and go?
    2) If your phone is jailbroken (and want to keep it that way): do you know what SHSH blobs are on file for your device and how you saved them? Saved blobs will appear in "TSS Center" on the front page of Cydia (again, if you're currently jailbroken).

Thanks
    Thanked 9,887 Times in 6,041 Posts

Having it factory unlocked would be a viable option also and not having to worry about it anymore. chronicunlocks dot com may be able to help you. A reputable company FYI.

Jailbreak could be effected because it is not permanent unlock like factory unlock and may be disable when you will update the iOS. So try factory unlock, it would be the best option to upgrade your iphone 4.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Okay, two questions for you:

1) Do you some interposition device in your phone like a Gevey SIM, or do you just plug your SIM in and go?
    2) If your phone is jailbroken (and want to keep it that way): do you know what SHSH blobs are on file for your device and how you saved them? Saved blobs will appear in "TSS Center" on the front page of Cydia (again, if you're currently jailbroken).
    No I am not using a gevey sim. I used the first available unlock hack for the iphone 4 that came out awhile back, maybe about a year ago but I believe it got quickly fixed or something but I still remained with my phone unlocked to tmobile. I downloaded it through cydia and was able to unlock it doing it that way. Don't remember that name of the hack though sorry. Not sure what shsh blobs I have it just shows shsh: ios 5.01 5.1 5.1.1 5.1.1r1 6.1.3. After that it say where is my ios 6.0-6.1.2?

What would be the best way to have this phone factory unlocked? Is blkcadis suggestion reliable? Assuming it is since she's a super duper moderator. Thanks for the quick answers!

Thanks

It is reliable for sure, the guys are a huge part of the jail break community and very trusted.

Also, we have a Mod here on the site that does them. Look here. At&t Unlocks for sale From your Fav. MMi Mod!
    Last edited by blkcadi; 06-14-2013 at 04:48 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Alright that looks like the best option for me then blkcadi. I'll get on that right away. Thanks all for the help.

Thanks

Agree, not having to continually chase an unlock method is the best way to go.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Would you recommend upgrading to ios 6 using the iphone 4? In terms of it maybe being sluggish since the phone is out of date?

Thanks

If your not jailbroken, then yes, update. If you what to maintain a jailbreak, you will have to have your SHSH blobs to do so.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can just do a fresh upgrade and then redo a fresh jailbreak right?

Thanks

Nope, if you update it will put your phone on 6.1.4 which is un-jailbreakable. You must have SHSH blobs saved to stitch a custom firmware to restore to.

http://modmyi.com/forums/how-jailbre...ware-file.html
    Last edited by blkcadi; 06-14-2013 at 06:08 PM.

He has an i4, so he can upgrade to 6.1.3 and get a tethered JB

Default At your own risk
    Quote Originally Posted by koalawahh View Post
    Currently using an att unlocked iphone 4 on iOS 5.0.1(9a405). I would like to upgrade my iOS while still being able to use my phone on tmobile. Can I someone point me out on instructions to do this? I unlocked my phone a while back, I can't remember the exact method I used but I did not unlock through att. My baseband is 04.11.08. Thanks
    (1) Make sure you have already installed iTunes 10.5 prior to updating your phone and that you have already restarted your machine as prompted by the Apple application. Failure to do so could cause umpteen issues for the update process.

(2) Plug your iPhone via USB to your computer and if you are using a laptop make sure you have enough juice so that the computer doesn't freeze or shut down during the installation. iTunes should detect your Apple device. If not, then shut down everything and restart your computer and repeat the steps.

(3) Once your device has been identified, click on the appropriate icon and the "check for an update" button, which will start the installation process. Note that if you use your device on several computers, you will need to perform the update on your MAIN computer, the one where syncs are carried out.

(4) The rest is only a matter of pressing a few more buttons to confirm the installation and the process should go on automatically. Do not interfere with your iPhone or iTunes during that time or the synchronisation process might be cancelled. Your device will be restarted several times.

(5) Please be patient. Apple says that the whole process could take as long as one hour to be completed. There are reports that things did not go down as well for some users reporting that iOS had bricked their iPhone.

My friend, read a bit closer what he is telling us. I he does what you suggested, his phone will be locked forever But just maybe, it's not that bad idea, than he would be forced to unlock it, again forever