Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
05-23-2013, 09:52 PM #1Restoring JB iPhone 3GS (wipe clean to give away)
I'm giving my old 3GS to a friend. It's jailbroken (evasi0n) on 6.1.1 (05.13.04 modem) that has been unlocked using ultraSn0w (was locked to AT&T).
I want to wipe all the data off it, so my friend can sync it with their computer etc.
I planned on restoring via iTunes, then re-jailbreaking with evasi0n, but I keep getting the 3194 error. I'm pressing shift+restore to use my stock 6.1.1 IPSW. I''ve tried editing the host file, using a different computer, and doing it via DFU mode.
Is the only way to do this via iTunes? I've looked around a lot, and there doesn't seem to be a way around the 3194
Last edited by ju08; 05-23-2013 at 10:00 PM.
05-23-2013, 10:40 PM #2
The 3194 error means that you don't have SHSH blobs for the device right now. However, you can use redsn0w or iFaith to fetch the blobs currently on your device and submit them to Cydia (if you got to your current version of iOS via restore not upgrade, which it sounds like you did because of the preserved baseband). Once the blobs are fetched and sent off to Cydia, then your restore should be golden if you go that route (or you can stitch a local copy of the blobs into an IPSW, via iFaith/redsn0w/sn0wbreeze).
I'd personally advise using sn0wbreeze to make a custom IPSW for the restoring process, so the device will be jailbroken, freshly restored, and the baseband will be preserved so your friend can unlock the phone with redsn0w if they are so inclined.
05-23-2013, 10:55 PM #3
So I will:
1. Create a custom IPSW in sn0wbreeze (Baseband preservation mode) of 6.1.1
2. Open iTunes, click "shift+restore" and restore the custom IPSW
3. Use redsn0w to jailbrake the phone (or evasi0n)
4. Install ultrasn0w to unlock the phone.
Is that correct?
05-24-2013, 12:38 PM #4
You're missing an important step, that is, saving the current 6.1.1 SHSH blob. Here is what I would do:
1. Download iREB, iFaith and Sn0wbreeze at (iH8sn0w.com)
2. Download official 6.1.1 firmware (iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From)
3. Plug in your iPhone and exit iTunes if it's automatically launch
4. Run iFaith, click on save SHSH (follow instructions on the screen)
5. Exit iFaith
6. Run sn0wBreeze, click on Build Custom IPSW, then select 6.1.1 firmware from step 2 and saved SHSH from step 4
7. Exit sn0wBreeze
8. Run iREB; click on Pwned DFU and follow instructions on screen
9. Exit iREB
10. Run iTunes (it should prompt for a restore); Shift+Click Restore; select the custom IPSW from step 6
05-25-2013, 06:19 PM #5
Ok thanks for that, but I already did it and thankfully it is working.
This is what I did:
1. Used TinyUmbrella to save SHSH blob of current 6.1.1
2. Created custom firmware using sn0wbreeze using official 6.1.1
3. In DFU Mode, restored the custom firmware with iTunes (restore+shift)
4. Put in original AT&T to activate phone
5. Used Evasi0n to jailbrake (and ultrasn0w to unlock)
05-27-2013, 11:31 PM #6
Interesting that no one here is mentioning Cydia App called iLex Rat Restore, which enables you to restore the phone without loosing JB. It's not a full restore like with iTunes, but it cleans everything of your data, so that the new owner can set it up as new phone.