Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 5 T-mobile USA

Default Iphone 5 T-mobile USA
    I bought T-mobile Iphone 5 from Ebay. And traveled to India. Now i am not able to use the phone as its saying network provider is not compatible. I dont know whether its unlocked. Upon checking setting-general-about-carrier---its 14.0. I guess which means its unlocked. Still i have no idea what to do.
    If it is unlocked then what are the ways to unlock it.?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by promil View Post
    I bought T-mobile Iphone 5 from Ebay. And traveled to India. Now i am not able to use the phone as its saying network provider is not compatible. I dont know whether its unlocked. Upon checking setting-general-about-carrier---its 14.0. I guess which means its unlocked. Still i have no idea what to do.
    If it is unlocked then what are the ways to unlock it.?
    It's not unlocked if you inserted your local Indian SIM card and the phone is complaining of an incompatible or unsupported SIM card. There are two general routes of unlocking the phone--either calling T-Mobile's US customer service and seeing if they'll unlock it for you (highly unlikely they'll do it unless you're a T-Mobile US customer and fulfill their requirements) or contacting a third-party unlocking service that supports T-Mobile US. I believe Chronic (of Chronic Dev Team) will support that carrier in a short time if he does not already--search for his "Chronic Unlocks" website (or "T-Mobile US unlocks" or whatever strikes your fancy) and see what pans out.

Good luck!

Excellent. Thank you very much. But i couldn't find anything with tmobile iphone 5 unlock.???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by promil View Post
    Excellent. Thank you very much. But i couldn't find anything with tmobile iphone 5 unlock.???
    They only recently received the iPhone, so there aren't many (if any) third-party services that offer unlocks yet.

If Chronic's service doesn't offer them, I can't really offer any further advice or testimonials, other than trying your luck with the official T-Mobile US customer support (if you're a customer of theirs in the USA or bought the phone directly from them in the USA at full retail price).