+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activating iphone 4 with bad esn/meid/imei

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have read all kinds of posts from people unlocking an iphone for a fee to activating it through jailbreaking. I myself am skeptical of this being possible but see
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Activating iphone 4 with bad esn/meid/imei
    I have read all kinds of posts from people unlocking an iphone for a fee to activating it through jailbreaking. I myself am skeptical of this being possible but see people on ebay buying phones with bad esn's. Do they just not know that it cannot be activated or is there something i dont know about?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

People buy the iphone with bad IMEI/ESN have there own reason and this is what I do with bad ESN/IMEI:

1. sprint/Verizon Iphone with bad ESN can still use as advance ipod touch..... or flash diffirence PRL and you still can use it on Cricket/MetroPCS. Addition, you can get the phone for much cheaper.
    2. ATT iphone with bad IMEI still can unlock and use it oversea, so i have quite a many relative oversea..... I can buy cheaper and can sell it to them cheaper compare the one had good IMEI.

So technicly, these phone still not complete used it to some but extreme harder to sell.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay thanks. Is it expensive to fix a bad imei/meid?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

When I searched Google, I only found one person claiming success in changing the MEID of a CDMA iPhone (MEID is the newer version of ESN). He has website where he has a tool he charges for.
    iPhone/iPad CDMA Tool (iOS4.x-iOS6.x) | Apple iPhone/iPad programming software
    It doesn't appear the tool itself can change the MEID, but I could be wrong. Technically, it's not legal to change the MEID of a phone although some people argue it's a gray area depending on intent.

I think a bad ESN Sprint phone can still be used with Page Plus. I have no idea what people do with bad ESN Verizon phones. I'm thinking maybe bad ESN CDMA iPhone 4S could be unlocked for use with GSM networks using a SIM interposer since it has a GSM radio, but I don't think that's possible with the iPhone 4.
    If you get lucky, you can buy a bad ESN phone and its ESN will become clean when the previous owner gets around to settling their bill. This has actually happened to 3 bad ESN phones I've bought in the past. Whether that happens depends on the phone having a bad ESN due to a delinquent account and not having been reported lost or stolen. Only problem is there's no way to know why the ESN is bad before you buy it. Kind of luck of the draw.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iZIGGA View Post
    Okay thanks. Is it expensive to fix a bad imei/meid?
    Not that's expensive but it's matter legal. You can change IMEI but changing IMEI in any country is illegal.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello,I know this is an old topic but currently I'm trying to buy phone for relative in Asia. Looking to save some money to buy iphone with bad imei. I were curious how phone with bad imei still can be unlock and if it's stuck at activation screen how could my relative bypass that stage? Thanks you, hope you would reply

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Many unlocking services do say they can unlock phones with blocked IMEI.
    You can get past activation screen by inserting a SIM card from the original carrier if locked or any SIM card if unlocked.
    Blocked IMEI does not prevent normal activation, it only prevents the phone from registering on the cellular network.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks you for your answer, greatly appreciated. Another question is how can I bypass iOS 7 activation sign in with Apple Id? Would inserting a original carrier sim card work with this method? Just want to make sure before I go off and buy an iphone off eBay. Thanks

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

If the previous owner activated "Find My iPhone" on iOS 7 and did not deactivate it before selling it, there is currently nothing you can do to bypass the Apple ID sign in.
    This is an anti-theft feature of iOS 7 for which I have read there is currently no way to bypass or circumvent it.
    More info about activation lock here:
    Buying or Selling a Used iPhone or iPad Running iOS 7? Read This First!