A non-techie friend asked me to help her unlock an old ATT-locked 3GS running iOS 3.1.2 with baseband 5.11.07 (not sure if phone is new/old bootrom). Not an Apple guy, but it looked to be straightforward, ran blackra1n, saw the appropriate Geohot pic on the phone and the successful message on the computer, but on reboot, never saw springboard and all I have is the spinning wheel of death and reboots. It may have been because iTunes launched on the initial reboot. In any case, now blackra1n only "waits for the device," and never moves forward.

Fortunately, I can still trigger DFU and iTunes will recognize it for a restore (and an update, presumably to 6.1.3), but I'm hesitant to proceed as I don't want to do anything irreversible. User data-wise, there's nothing on the phone of value, so I didn't back anything up, and just not knowledgeable about backing up firmware, etc. So what's my next best move?

I'm thinking I should just update, then ask ATT for an unlock (which perhaps should have done first ...). If necessary I could then use redsn0w for a tethered jailbreak, since that just came out. Any better ideas?