Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'The iPhone 2G stuck in recovery mode'

Default 'The iPhone 2G stuck in recovery mode'
    Hello, I wanted to sell my iPhone 2G 8Gb, found a customer and went to restore it for him. I obviously did something wrong, since the phone is now stuck in recovery mode and says 'NO SIM card installed, insert a valid SIM with no PIN lock to activate the phone.', also has a slide for emergency.

Before this happened it was jailbroken, on iOS 3.1.3, with the whitedoor mode. I am from Croatia and it's a AT&T model bought in the states, I was running a T-Mobile card on it.

Hope you can help me out with this one, thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,757 Times in 2,646 Posts

Your iphone is not stuck at recovery mode but emergency screen. Below explains how you can unlock your iphone from emergency screen.

This will explain how to unlock your 2g iphone > iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your iPhone 2G on OS 3.1.3 Using RedSn0w (Windows)

Thank you for the quick reply iYeow, but the download links on the tutorial you recommended are not working. Do you know a different one?

Tnx alanniwhite for trying, but it doesn't work.

Can anyone help me out?
    Last edited by Pern; 04-01-2013 at 12:45 PM.

For a 2g, the easiest is download a custom firmware from whited00r.com and do a restore under pwned DFU. It's a complete package with activation, push notification, etc..... good luck

I don't really know how to do that, is there any risk involved, can i screw something up again? Thanks hcgaloi!

There is no risk at all. I used to do it all the time with the 2g. Here is what I would do:

1. Go to whited00r.com and pick a custom firmware for the 2g (they have normal and unlocked version. I needed the unlocked for T-mobile)
    2. Connect the iphone to PC and exit iTunes if it's automatically launched.
    3. Put the iphone in pwned DFU mode (search google for step by step or download iReb if you don't know how to do this)
    4. Launched iTunes.
    5. iTunes should detect that the iPhone is in recovery mode and asks if you want to restore
    6. Hold down the shift key and click on Restore button
    7. On the Open File dialog window, go the folder that you saved custom firmware in step 1
    8. Double click on the custom firmware and wait for iTunes to finish the restore process.

Good luck

I got an error when trying to instal the new software, i think it was itunes 1600.
    Now the phone only shows a cable and itunes logo when it's switched on unlike to before, have i done something wrong, whats the next step? please help!

and i think its stuck in a loop? it shows the recovery mode then the apple logo then that all over again...
    Last edited by Pern; 04-05-2013 at 08:59 AM.

You also need to run TinyUmbrella to block iTunes calling Apple's server while restoring.

Your phone isn't stuck in recovery mode...its stuck in a DFU loop. Download Tiny Umbrella and associated recovery fix. Start Tiny Umbrella and go to logs...you will see your phone showing it's in a DFU mode. Click on the recovery fix and you'll see your phone kicked into a true recovery mode. At this point you will ant to start your iTunes assuming you have the latest version and do a complete restore with the latest IOS. Do that and you're good to go. If it fails on the first try just repeat the steps.