Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is it possible to confirm an unlocked phone?

Default Is it possible to confirm an unlocked phone?
    I recently bought a new iPhone 5 from apple on the net. I got an unlocked gsm phone. I tried to use my tracfone sim but It didn't work! I went to tmobile for service, so I got service now. But besides choosing providers, is it possible to confirm the unlock status? Just curious...

The sure-fire way is to check with iTunes. Under Settings->General->Reset All Settings then plug the iPhone with then activate it. Try this with different SIMs and if you get the message "Congratulation....????" msg. Then you know for sure that your iPhone is unlocked.... Good luck....

Note: If your iPhone is jailbroken, don't do the Erase All Content and Settings under the Reset.... Otherwise, you will have to restore and re-jailbreak ....

Good luck

Thanx hc, sounds like that'll work. I'm not jail broke yet. Soon I will though.

I seem to recall a message on iTunes that said sumthin to effect of congrats your phone is unlocked.
    So why did my tracfone sim not register signal? It said sumthin like "searching" and I never got signal bars.
    btw- I was trying to use a cut down sim from a flip phone. Does that make a difference?

If you're certain that you got a Congratulations msg in iTunes then the phone should be working with the SIM. So, first question come to mind is do you know if you have cellular service for that SIM in the area? If not then it's normal to get stuck in searching... status.
    Second, do you know if the phone is working? Hardware problem with cellular antenna may also the cause for not getting service.

If you don't mind opening the phone and do a visual check on the antenna, go to iFixit: The free repair manual and search for the tutorial on you iphone model.... It's may look challenging, but actually is not... if you have the right tools ... 8-)) Also, youtube should have tons of video, too.

Good luck

The sim and flip phone both worked. I don't think I need to open my iPhone.