+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need serious help with my 3GS

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have an iPhone 3GS that I used to use on Tmobile's network. When I got my new phone in August I let my friend borrow it, but he only
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Need serious help with my 3GS
    I have an iPhone 3GS that I used to use on Tmobile's network. When I got my new phone in August I let my friend borrow it, but he only updated the firmware (I think) and never ended up using it. Well now I got the bright idea to use it as an iPod... except I've stumbled upon several issues....

1) I don't have an active AT&T SIM card to activate it.

2) The SIMs my friend mailed to me still wouldn't work, so I decided to "hacktivate"

3) I can't hacktivate because the power button is broken. (I thought it was just an issue with pinching the top corner because that is the only way the button works, but whenever I try to enter DFU mode it won't register. I even tried putting one of those big black paper clip things on the corner.. kinda fixed the button as far as powering off and locking the screen, but still couldn't enter DFU mode)

4) Tried to force the iPhone into DFU mode, but realized that when I am in iTunes I only get a screen that states "We're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time. Please try again later, or contact customer care." so I can't do the shift + restore or whatever.

Should I just give up on this iPhone and rage quit and smash it? Or does anyone out there know what I could do to make this thing work?

I have the lastest iTunes, latest redsn0w, and I have no idea what firmware/iOS... I'm assuming 5.1 due to the time frame, but I am probably wrong.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Maybe your device is locked on Tmobile's network. Don't give up easily by smashing it up, many desires to have an iPhone. You can double check again the iTunes version that might not be compatible with your iPhone and the last, you can follow the instruction to the screen that says "contact customer care"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rachelreed View Post
    Maybe your device is locked on Tmobile's network. Don't give up easily by smashing it up, many desires to have an iPhone. You can double check again the iTunes version that might not be compatible with your iPhone and the last, you can follow the instruction to the screen that says "contact customer care"
    I highly doubt Tmobile would lock it. Tmobile isn't compatible with the iPhone so I had to hacktivate and jailbreak/unlock it in order to use it on their network. Before I would just follow the online tutorials and would be easy, breezy, beautiful lol. But now that the power button is broken I can't simply follow tutorials because I cannot get the iPhone in DFU mode :/ But I did think of that, but putting my SIM in it didn't help.

Also, I went through the steps on the support site and they wanted to charge me $20, no thanks. o.O Unless I clicked on something wrong I don't think it is fair for Apple to charge to answer questions and help me out.

thanks for replying though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah, I get your point. Thanks for appreciating my reply.