Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G Restore / Jailbreak / Unlock

Default iPhone 3G Restore / Jailbreak / Unlock
    I've got an iPhone 3G currently running iOS 4.2.1. I believe this is the latest OS for this device.

It is currently activated (AT&T device) but not jailbroken. I may have an AT&T sim card lying around somewhere but I don't think it's a valid sim card i.e. has been deactivated since we're not with AT&T anymore.

I would like to perform a full restore, jailbreak + unlock the device but I'm not quite sure if I should use Evasi0n or something else.

Any guidance or help would be much appreciated.

My first thought would be to contact mod Cowboy from this forum to get an IMEI permanent unlock (ATT is very cheap compared to other carriers).

Restoring in 6.1 will allow you to use Evasi0n easily.

That's the thing. The iPhone 3G according to iTunes doesn't support anything beyond 4.2.1 and I'm not sure if Evasi0n can jailbreak a device that isn't on iOS 5 or 6.

The factory unlock could work but I figured why bother with an extra $15 $20 when ultrasn0w can unlock the device for free.

What do you think?

Well, the advantage of Imei unlock service is that it's permanent, official, you name it. No more iOs updates problems, compatibility with this or that. Closest to official way. I got a 4s blocked atm, I'd love to pay for it but no solution.

Of course you can go the ultrasn0w way. It should work (I didn't check baseband compatibility). However, I don't know about 6.1 for the 3G.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

If you do not want a factory unlock, at IOS 4.2.1, install ipad baseband using redsn0w and install Ultrasn0w to unlock.

Evasi0n is not for 3g iphones.

I am not really familiar with Evasi0n for when I have mined unlocked, I ask for some from those who are expert and has more experience than I.