+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activation 4S - No original sim

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I'm thinking maybe R-SIM 5+ just isn't compatible since you're using 6.1. R-SIM 5+ from what I'm seeing on eBay auctions are only saying they work up to 6.0.1. You
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm thinking maybe R-SIM 5+ just isn't compatible since you're using 6.1. R-SIM 5+ from what I'm seeing on eBay auctions are only saying they work up to 6.0.1. You might need to get something that specifically says it works for 6.1.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've been looking up information on activation and unlocking for the past week and this thread has turned out to be very helpful. Just a few questions for Simon, related to what was being discussed (I hope the OP doesn't mind, since I think his work here is done):

1. You said that "You could always get a cheap used 3 sim off ebay or something. It doesn't have to be active to activate the phone." Does this apply for all phones? If I buy a (locked) Sprint iPhone off ebay and update the firmware, and am then prompted to go through the activation process, will using any (non-active) Sprint SIM card be sufficient? It doesn't have to be the original SIM card of the person who purchased the phone, does it?

Also, if the phone has a bad ESN, then will using the non-active SIM still be enough to at least get through the activation process and get to the home screen? (Obviously I know that I won't be able to use the device on Sprint at that time, all I want to do is get to the home screen).

2. You also said that "You activated when you put the sim in and got to the home screen". I was looking for unlock services on ebay, and one of them said that they can only unlock a phone if it's activated. I emailed them for further clarification, saying that I would be buying a phone with a bad ESN, and if I could get to the home screen, would that mean that the phone is activated and ready to be unlocked? He replied that activation didn't mean getting to the home screen, rather it meant activating the phone when it's purchased, which is something only the buyer can do.

So does that mean the buyer would have to use his original SIM to activate the phone when running it for the first time? And if the phone then got a bad ESN and was blacklisted, it would not be considered active anymore?

3. To the OP: you said that you receive an 'Activation Required' message whenever you insert a non-3 SIM. Is this what the message looked like (see attached pic). Simon, does this message only appear on locked phones? If I have a factory unlocked phone, I should never receive this message right?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Activation 4S - No original sim-3.jpg  

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Bump

Thanks

See the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by ammarkr View Post
    I've been looking up information on activation and unlocking for the past week and this thread has turned out to be very helpful. Just a few questions for Simon, related to what was being discussed (I hope the OP doesn't mind, since I think his work here is done):

1. You said that "You could always get a cheap used 3 sim off ebay or something. It doesn't have to be active to activate the phone." Does this apply for all phones? If I buy a (locked) Sprint iPhone off ebay and update the firmware, and am then prompted to go through the activation process, will using any (non-active) Sprint SIM card be sufficient? It doesn't have to be the original SIM card of the person who purchased the phone, does it?

Probably yes, but never tried for Sprint, so just give it a go.

Also, if the phone has a bad ESN, then will using the non-active SIM still be enough to at least get through the activation process and get to the home screen? (Obviously I know that I won't be able to use the device on Sprint at that time, all I want to do is get to the home screen).

2. You also said that "You activated when you put the sim in and got to the home screen". I was looking for unlock services on ebay, and one of them said that they can only unlock a phone if it's activated. I emailed them for further clarification, saying that I would be buying a phone with a bad ESN, and if I could get to the home screen, would that mean that the phone is activated and ready to be unlocked? He replied that activation didn't mean getting to the home screen, rather it meant activating the phone when it's purchased, which is something only the buyer can do.

So does that mean the buyer would have to use his original SIM to activate the phone when running it for the first time? And if the phone then got a bad ESN and was blacklisted, it would not be considered active anymore?

No, activate if it's only NOT asking SSN + Zip code. Otherwise, it's already activated at purchase, but probably stuck on activation iOS screen which is different case.

3. To the OP: you said that you receive an 'Activation Required' message whenever you insert a non-3 SIM. Is this what the message looked like (see attached pic). Simon, does this message only appear on locked phones? If I have a factory unlocked phone, I should never receive this message right?

Yes, it appears on locked iPhones with non-original SIM card inside, so the sim card won't be recognized unless you put the original SIM or get it factory unlocked which then will allow the iPhone to accept any SIM.

Thanks in advance!
    Contact me to "factory unlock" any iPhone!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the helpful reply. One more thing though, you said:

but probably stuck on activation iOS screen which is different case.
    How can a phone get stuck on this screen? Does it happen after a firmware upgrade if a phone is blacklisted? What can be done to bypass it, apart from hacktivation?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ammarkr View Post
    Thanks for the helpful reply. One more thing though, you said:

How can a phone get stuck on this screen? Does it happen after a firmware upgrade if a phone is blacklisted? What can be done to bypass it, apart from hacktivation?

Whenever the software get reset/restore which requires new setup. Probably such chips that come with gevey/gpp able to pass the screen or simply by using its original sim card.
    Contact me to "factory unlock" any iPhone!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is this the screen you're referring to?

http://i.imgur.com/WsXk3f3.jpg?1 (Sorry, for some reason I can't seem to upload pictures directly on the forum)

Can this be bypassed by using any SIM of the carrier to which the phone is locked (which in my case would be Sprint)? Or by using a hardware unlock such as GEVEY (I've heard that GEVEY etc only work if you can first get to the homescreen, which isn't possible if you're stuck at this screen)?

Would this screen come up even if the phone has been activated the first time with the original SIM by the original owner? And if I can unlock the phone, will it still come up after a firmware restore?
    Last edited by ammarkr; 03-06-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Problem uploading the picture; added it as a link instead

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, just updated my post above with the picture, so wanted to bump up this thread again

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123