+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock or Locked iPhone 5 Blacklisted or not totally confused ?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Okay long story short. I got this phone from a Car Club Member. It is supposed to be clean and not blacklisted. He was using it with a AT&T sim
    Thanks

Default Unlock or Locked iPhone 5 Blacklisted or not totally confused ?
    Okay long story short.
    I got this phone from a Car Club Member. It is supposed to be clean and not blacklisted.
    He was using it with a AT&T sim card for about 4 weeks before me and my girl got it.

We trying to get it unlocked to use with T-Mobile.

1st Unlocker claims the code as been listed and its unlocked. But nothing...
    2nd Unlocker claims the same but still nothing, when i confront them he now claims its black listed and can be only used internationally.
    3rd 2x IMEI checker = 1. Clear the 2. Comes back as unknown or no information

Okay so I am now confused wth is going on.

From what I understand now is. The phone is Blacklisted but unlocked and can be used internationally ? WTF ?

Questions:
    IMEI unlock means it can be used with any one ... no ?
    If its blacklisted, its should be disabled for AT&T users only or Blacklist is entire US ?
    Blacklist means: Didn't pay bill or stolen or involved in a crime ?
    Can a phone be blacklisted at&t and unlocked at the same time, which it should be working any carrier except AT&T ?

Symptoms:
    I can activate the phone with a dead AT&T sim.
    It Locks and forces me to Re-Activate when inserting T-Mobile and then says Invalid Sim.
    If i put the dead AT&T sim back in,... its back activated ...

AT&T wouldn't tell me if it is Blacklisted unless i am AT&T Customer
    Non of my friends are AT&T, we all T-Mobile or Verizon
    The doode is on a prepaid and is barely returning our call though he still does once in a while.

At the moment I have these things to test:
    T-Mobile Active Sim
    AT&T Dead Sim
    T-Mobile Dead Sim

ePlus Dead Sim inbound from my Cousin

I am just trying to figure things out ...

Me and my girl got sick of this cat and mouse game we now running Verizon Razr M on T-mobile.
    But i am still trying to understand this annoying fiasco with this unlock lock blacklist crap...
    Last edited by Germanese; 12-11-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    iPhone 4 Unlocked on T-Mobile | Motorola Verizon Razr M on T-Mobile | iPhone 5 Confused

Thanks

Update now my phone says its AT&T locked but IMEI is unassigned but i have an IMEI ...
    iPhone 4 Unlocked on T-Mobile | Motorola Verizon Razr M on T-Mobile | iPhone 5 Confused

Thanks
    Thanked 9,525 Times in 5,846 Posts

Questions:
    IMEI unlock means it can be used with any one ... no ?
    If its blacklisted, its should be disabled for AT&T users only or Blacklist is entire US ?
    Blacklist means: Didn't pay bill or stolen or involved in a crime ?
    Can a phone be blacklisted at&t and unlocked at the same time, which it should be working any carrier except AT&T ?
    If the phone is black listed (for what ever reason, theft, non-payment), what your being told is true. It could only be used Internationally, not in the US, by any carrier.

Thanks

Okay, so I managed to get someone check things for me further.
    Still confused, its keep getting weirder.

According to a AT&T customer representative my phone is not locked to AT&T though they did not say it in a Yes or No Fashion.
    With that said. Here is the weird part.
    The phone can only be Activated in iTunes with an AT&T Sim Card.
    Sticking a US-T-Mobile Sim into it causes it to Deactivate and Forcing me to Re-Activating it with a AT&T Sim or AT&T + iTunes.

Going to Unlock-er Checkers my phone is listed as NOT-AT&T...

So what is the phone ???
    Or how would one know exactly ???
    Apparently it does not Lock Normal AT&T Customers SIM if inserted into it. Which Reports state a Blacklisted iPhone will do...
    No one can give me a 100% answer...

Thanks

You must reactivate it with a non AT&T sim card.

iPhone 5, you'll have to go through the restore process in iTunes with non AT&T sim card inserted.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 12-12-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks

When doing that, I get this:

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

So its either it is still locked or something Fishy or People are not actually unlocking it for us correctly ?
    But no one can tell what is going on. Any way i can tell my self or figure things out ?

The Unlocker Returned my money with the Sentence:
    "You Phone doesn't seem to be an AT&T Phone, unless it shows AT&T on our server, else we cannot unlock. Sorry"

So back to Square one... O.o

Thanks

Was it a Sprint or Verizon phone before? Seems odd to me. Where did it come from?

Thanks

That is the weird part.
    It supposed to be an AT&T phone never was Sprint or Verizon. It accepts AT&T Sim all day long.

The other part is it carries the ND293LL Model Number.

I am not too new to this I know what works on 4 and 4S. But this one is a mystery to me...

AT&T says it isn't theirs or not blacklisted.
    To unlock it, from what i understand it needs to be on a Server AT&T or whatever.
    But its shows as NOT AT&T on IMEI check
    AT&T Sim Cards work on the device.
    T-Mobile does not.
    It model number shows it as a ND293LL which seems to be Bulk Refurb Units.
    Last edited by Germanese; 12-12-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks

Bottom line perhaps, take it to the Genius bar. It's factory unlocked and certainly still under warranty. Worst (best) case is that they'd give you a new factory unlocked 5.

Thanks

Ughhhh, the more i dig around and poke ppl with no end the more weird this crap gets.

I will probably try your suggestion but I am a bit confused and I am not doing anything wrong I hope.

This is what supposed to happen after making 1 hours worth of calls trying to find out the History of the phone.

1. iPhone was purchased through Online for AT&T Usage (If it was apple store, att, online service or wallmart is unsure; but it was AT&T)
    2. iPhone was replaced by Apple due to Wifi taking a dump and won't connect to any WAP3 routers.
    3. Owner got ticked off and got a new Samsung, and gets rid of Apple phone (BC other had wifi issues) Just wants to get rid of this one, lost faith.
    4. Original owner requested unlock for international use in November.
    5. AT&T says it is not eligible for unlock because it wasn't the Original IMEI phone.
    6. After fighting with AT&T they agreed to unlock but nothing ever happened talking around the bushes.
    (We think because IMEI was no a AT&T Server since it is a replacement)

Somewhere between 4. and 6. a prepaid AT&T Sim was used to make calls with this phone.
    Change of Owner ship (Note account is in good standing but replacement phone was never hooked up to Owners account)

Soooo now it is here.
    AT&T would not take it as an AT&T phone, which is needed to get it unlocked has to be listed in their server.
    AT&T sim will make the phone run. But can't whitelist the IMEI either bc it isn't in their their list. (Or something)
    But phone is SIM locked to AT&T for whatever reason by iTunes. (What defines this i don't know)

So who do i ask for getting it on AT&T or off AT&T ?
    I believe apple has it listed as AT&T since it was a AT&T replacement.
    But because it was replaced by Apple the IMEI will not be listed on AT&T servers(Showing the phone not AT&T) But yet apple server lists phone as AT&T phone.
    So getting it unlocked cannot be done by AT&T nor any Internet Vendors that say unlock AT&T Phones

So what are my Choices I read apple doesn't do unlocks either ?

I either need to get Apple to turn their server on and allow this phone to be unlocked.
    I either need to get AT&T to accept this phone onto their list and then Unlock it with their method or online.

Is this correct from my understanding ?
    Last edited by Germanese; 12-12-2012 at 10:51 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don't think AT&T can help you.

You probably have to contact Apple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
    I don't think AT&T can help you.

You probably have to contact Apple.
    Agree, take it to Apple.

Thanks

Update:

Apple and me sat down and tracked the entire history.

AT&T iPhone > Replaced by this phone (AT&T but Bulk Model Number and unactivated)
    >Which then was used with Prepaid which does not cause Activation even when Restored.
    Which in turn doesn't Register the IMEI on AT&T. Right now Apple shows awaiting Activation still.
    Meaning when it was replaced it was never used because Original user already switched to Samsung.

So 2nd owner only used it with AT&T Prepaid and it never Activated.
    Because it Really does not reside in Apple (Waiting for Activation) Server and it also is not recognized by AT&T for unlock because it never registered yet.

So all the above were correct no one was at wrong it is just a stupid loop hole.

Now how to bypass this ???
    Supposedly I need a AT&T Active Nano Simcard Not Prepaid.
    And I have to Restore it so it takes the IMEI and places it in AT&T server.

From there AT&T can Unlock it or Whoever else.

I now have to find someone that can help me with this matter.
    Non of my friends have a iPhone 5 and AT&T. Nor does any one have a Nano Sim on AT&T for me to do this process ...

Will keep you guys updated. Once i find someone with a correct Nano Sim for me to plug it into the servers again.

Thanks

How about just buying a pre-paid sim.

Thanks

Supposedly Prepaid Sims won't work.

Thanks

I must say I hate the iPhone 5 !!!

I still don't know whats going on and AT&T combined with Apple are being restarted not answering me straight.

I went ahead and warrantied my iPhone 5.

So now I have a Brand New Unactivated iPhone 5 from Apple Locked to AT&T

It does not work with T-Mobile it works with anything AT&T Prepaid or Normal.

Now giving this phone to an unlocker poses these problems.
    THEY CAN NOT UNLOCK IT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE LOCKED TO AT&T but yet ONLY accepts AT&T

My reason maybe following.
    Warrantied phone is on apple server not at&t to get unlocked it needs to be on AT&T.
    So my question is how do i get it on AT&T ?
    I tried making calls with it. Turning off and on and Restoring with ATT sim. I even tried calling in and forcing AT&T to add it to someone account so it is on their server.
    so few days later unlocker can unlock it.

BUT at the end it all fails. HOW DO I GET THIS STINKEN PHONE UNLOCKED ? ANYONE ? PLEASE HELP !!!
    Need 100% unlock, I have all the paper work that the phone is not stolen and or any bad acocunts.
    Heck its a brand new warranty swap also. 2 days old... CAN anyone point me in a direction who can unlock this phone ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

After all that reading, and some research, I've gathered that the model number you have is almost always (if not always) a refurbished unit which you've mentioned. And like you said, it is not properly activated so it cannot be unlocked bc the IMEI isn't logged into AT&T's (or anyone else's for that matter) server. The ND293LL model will show a typical carrier of simply "USA" meaning these units cannot be specified which carrier of the US it belongs to regardless of where you get it from (whether it be AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint) until proper activation by the an according account holder.

So since you said the original owner never activated it on an AT&T non-prepaid line, that's what you need to do. The device is not linked to not only a carrier, but not linked to an original owner. So the original owner would be of no help to you either. It sounds like your options are:

1. Find someone who has an AT&T account to let you borrow their SIM to activate the device.
    2. Get yourself a new contract with AT&T.
    3. Sell the phone (in a hopefully non-deceitful way) and hope the buyer who hopefully has AT&T will have better luck at activating it with their active plan than you.

I could be wrong, but this is what I've gathered. This is quite an unusual issue.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Black listed phones work for a few calls on any network usually after 5 calls it will lock out your sim and any call you make you will hear "this phone has been blocked from network use" your phone isn't acting like its black listed. Restore the phone in iTunes. It should come up with the message your iphone has been unlocked, even if it were previously unlocked. Once activated even through iTunes you should be able to pull service with any gsm active sim. If the unlocks your buying wont work use releasemycode.com the iphone does not have to be originally att to unlock.

Also once the phone is unlocked it doesn't need an ATT simcard to activate. I activate iPhones that were originally on ATT with simple mobile, straight talk, and H2O SIM cards daily.
    Last edited by Domtah; 01-10-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Thanks

Correct my phone does not Lock it self. I can make dozen calls and use the phone on a Normal AT&T Account.

I have tried getting it activated with someone sim and their account, I even called in an gave them the CCID and IMEI.
    But once placed in no the unlockers still cant see the phone as AT&T Locked.

What i have seen is alot of these cheaper unlockers want to see the Phone Activated or on AT&T servers to get them unlocked.

Now i have seen some website offering unlocks and doing it on the Apple Server site.
    The only problem with that is non of them are on FLEeBay so I wont get much of a buyer protection.

All the ones of ebay that couldn't unlock the phone gave me my money back with no hassle.
    And they all said the same thing that it needed to show up as Locked to AT&T on their IMEI check.
    Which this phone fails, this phone shows up as "not Locked to AT&T" even though only AT&T Sim will work on it.

Now any one know which sites can unlock phone on the Apple side disregarding the AT&T server Check since this phone isn't on there in the first place ?

Thanks alot for all ur information even though its bad or good news it gets me moving closer to my answer.

Cheers

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The releasemycode webpage is owned by a repair company. It's not just a risky website with no back to it. There's a guarantee, it's even stated in the FAQ section. That's why the ones on eBay are so cheap because AT&T is next to nothing to unlock if the phones IMEI isn't the usual AT&T one it won't go through with the cheap unlocks. If you use the discount code RMC20 it brings it down to 16 something.
    Last edited by Domtah; 01-10-2013 at 08:55 AM.