+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is my iPhone a paper weight??

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Help with Gevey and Downgrading from 4.12.02....I bought an iPhone 4 and the previous owner didn't tell me it had a Gevey sim and was on 4.12.02. He updated it
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Is my iPhone a paper weight??
    Help with Gevey and Downgrading from 4.12.02....I bought an iPhone 4 and the previous owner didn't tell me it had a Gevey sim and was on 4.12.02. He updated it to iOS6 and I can't activate it thru iTunes after getting a new sim tray and AT&T sim card. (iTunes Says the sim does not appear to be supported). The iPhone itself displays... Only compatible sim cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone.

Is my iPhone a paper weight?

Thanks

There is no way to downgrade that BB. Gevey can't work with that BB. Only option you have is to request IMEI unlock. Otherwise, it will be just an expensive iPod, sorry.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It can't be used as an iPod at this point because the phone can't be set up as is. I have tried restoring in iTunes 5-6 times and methods without success.....So if I get an IMEI unlock, how will that change the restore process? The only way I can connect to iTunes is by putting the phone in DFU. Will it restore in iTunes if an IMEI unlock has been sent to Apple? If that's the case I'd be fine with that.

Thanks

Well, the usual procedure, after getting the confirmation that your phone has been unlocked, is to deactivate it first and than connect it to iTunes for activation. Deactivation can be done with latest Redsnow or if the phone has a JB, also with SAM from Cydia. Or you do a full clean restore (set up as new phone) via iTunes, meaning, you have to download IPSW 6.0.1, put you phone in DFU (which you can) and than SHIFT+RESTORE (pointing to the IPSW you have downloaded) in iTunes. You should than get a message from iTunes that you phone has been unlocked and get the network signal with your new SIM card. During this process new SIM has to be inserted.
    In any case it's worth a try, since now you are just nowhere
    Last edited by bbrks; 11-26-2012 at 02:35 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by regalman View Post
    It can't be used as an iPod at this point because the phone can't be set up as is. I have tried restoring in iTunes 5-6 times and methods without success.....So if I get an IMEI unlock, how will that change the restore process? The only way I can connect to iTunes is by putting the phone in DFU. Will it restore in iTunes if an IMEI unlock has been sent to Apple? If that's the case I'd be fine with that.
    If your iPhone stuck in Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier, authorized-carrier unlock will get rid that screen. The iPhone will accept any SIM for activation and will never ask such thing in the future and no need to restore for the 7th time. Just put the SIM in, connect to iTunes and your'e good to go.
    Contact me to "factory unlock" any iPhone!