+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Carrier-authorized Unlock

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I'm really super-duper confused here. I've been trying for the last four hours to figure this out, but I'm more confused than ever. I'm moving from the US to Brazil.
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Carrier-authorized Unlock
    I'm really super-duper confused here. I've been trying for the last four hours to figure this out, but I'm more confused than ever.

I'm moving from the US to Brazil. I haven't completed my contract with AT&T yet, but I informed them of the situation, and they agreed to unlock my phone (actually, I think Apple had to agree also, but I'm not sure how it works). Here's their email to me:
    Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone. We have reviewed your request and confirmed that you are eligible to have the requested iPhone unlocked. Please allow 24 hours upon receipt of this notification to complete the unlock. To complete the unlock, simply:
    1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.
    2. Ensure a SIM card is inserted into your iPhone.
    3. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.
    4. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visit iTunes: Restoring iOS software.
    5. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.
    But restoring my jailbroken iPhone will upgrade it to iOS 6. In other words, if I restore it, iTunes will upgrade it. Now I have to worry about blobs and stuff.

So I installed PKGBackup from Cydia, and backed up my Cydia apps; I synced and backed up my other apps in iTunes. I downloaded Tiny Umbrella. It says that I have the following saved SHSHs:
    iPhone4 5.0.1 (9A405)-4076478213421
    iPhone4 5.1 (9B176)-4076478213421
    iPhone4 5.1.1 (9B206)-4076478213421
    iPhone4 5.1.1b (9B208)-4076478213421
    iPhone4 6.0.1 (10A523)-4076478213421
    I thought I was good to go. That looks to me like I've got everything I need. Then I downloaded f0recast. It tells me

Serial # QR1....MDZZ
    Baseband 04.11.08
    Bootloader ICE
    Model MC536
    Jailbreakable No
    Unlockable No
    Those last to lines have me too worried to proceed. If I restore and upgrade via iTunes in order to unlock (like AT&T is telling me to do), will I be able to downgrade and (re)jailbreak? I think Tiny Umbrella is telling me "Yes, you'll be OK," but f0recast is saying "you're gonna be out of luck."

What are my options? Can I restore/upgrade --> official legit AT&T Unlock --> downgrade (how?) --> (re)jailbreak --> reinstall iTunes and Cydia apps?

I even called the local iPhone repair store to see if they would do it for me. They said that no one around here does unlocks, and that my best bet is to google it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Easy as pie. Download Redsn0w. Hit extras. Use the feature to deactivate iPhone. Once deactivated, run iTunes with a non AT&T sim insetted. It will activate the unlock. Problem solved. Unlocked iPhone without any other changes to your firmware of jailbreak.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RochOAR For This Useful Post:

greyhounds (11-26-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    wow! That's it? I thought the "extras" stuff was for the exclusive use of guys with 30 pound brains!

I looked around about it on this forum and on google. The one thing I couldn't find is an explanation of what exactly deactivation does. When I deactivate it, will it mean that my AT&T sim card no longer works? The reason I ask is that I'm not switching carriers (i.e. not moving from US to Brazil) until January. Should I wait to do the deactivation until I'm ready to quit AT&T?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greyhounds View Post
    wow! That's it? I thought the "extras" stuff was for the exclusive use of guys with 30 pound brains!

I looked around about it on this forum and on google. The one thing I couldn't find is an explanation of what exactly deactivation does. When I deactivate it, will it mean that my AT&T sim card no longer works? The reason I ask is that I'm not switching carriers (i.e. not moving from US to Brazil) until January. Should I wait to do the deactivation until I'm ready to quit AT&T?
    Deactivate will make your iPhone requiring activation again (just like the first time connect to iTunes).
    That should be fine, once deactivated, put non-AT&T SIM and then connect to iTunes. You should receive "Congratulations" message in a few seconds and you can keep using your AT&T SIM.
    Contact me to "factory unlock" any iPhone!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SenseiPhone View Post
    ...once deactivated, put non-AT&T SIM and then connect to iTunes. You should receive "Congratulations" message in a few seconds and you can keep using your AT&T SIM.
    Oh. Does it have to be a non-AT&T sim? I was going to put my wife's sim in there, but that's an AT&T sim.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greyhounds View Post
    Oh. Does it have to be a non-AT&T sim? I was going to put my wife's sim in there, but that's an AT&T sim.
    Doesn't have to be non-AT&T, it just sometimes not going thru. Just give it a try.
    Contact me to "factory unlock" any iPhone!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SenseiPhone For This Useful Post:

greyhounds (11-26-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Done! Got it! Thanks

Got it done! Everything on the phone is just like it was when I started, except that the phone is unlocked.

Just some notes for anyone that reads this in the future:
    - The first time I failed to get into DFU mode (my hand slipped off one of the buttons). I unplugged it from the computer and did a hard restart by holding both buttons. Once restarted, my phone was in Safe Mode, so I powered off and powered back on. It restarted in Normal Mode, but I got an error message about a mobile substrate, so I resprang, powered down and powered back on. I went through a couple more cycles of power on, respring, power off just to be sure that I wasn't getting any more error messages.
    - I tried twice (unsuccessfully both times) to deactivate with redsn0w_mac_09.6rc19. Both times redsn0w said "waiting for device to reboot," but it never rebooted.
    - redsn0w_mac_0.9.14b2 worked like a charm on the first try.
    Last edited by greyhounds; 11-26-2012 at 09:53 PM.