Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help - Must Factory Unlock to Upgrade my Ios on 3GS

Hi! Need some help. So I had a jailbreak done last year with Cydia. My 3gs is now running 4.1 ios.

Well, idiotic facebook has upgraded and you can't use their app or their mobile site if you are on 4.1. You need at least 4.3.

Well, I stupidly did not upgrade my ios and since the 6.1 release I am told NOW I have to Factory Unlock the phone in order to upgrade. A guy says he'll unlock and upgrade to 6.1.

But here's my question. If I have backed up my phone on itunes while the phone is on ios 4.1, when I plug my phone back in (newly unlocked/upgraded) -- can I still restore from backup b/c the ios has changed?

I'm trying to save my text messages mostly.

Thanks!

Really am confused about all this stuff!!

Or is it possible to just upgrade to 5.1.1 because I hear 6/6.1 is terrible on a 3gs?

Confused....
    Last edited by Nynaeve1013; 11-09-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks

If u have shsh blobs saved for 5.1.1 u can go to that...otherwise to update, u have to go to latest which is 6.0.1...

If u open Cydia, u should see a list of shsh blobs at top of screen... Those r the versions of iOS to which u can restore...5.1.1 is latest untethered JB.. If u want to go to any other iOS except latest, search for directions..u have to create custom IPSW n stitch blobs in...otherwise just plug into iTunes and hit Restore button..

Let me know which u want to do..
    Last edited by xboxbml; 11-09-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xboxbml View Post
    If u have shsh blobs saved for 5.1.1 u can go to that...otherwise to update, u have to go to latest which is 6.0.1...

If u open Cydia, u should see a list of shsh blobs at top of screen... Those r the versions of iOS to which u can restore...5.1.1 is latest untethered JB.. If u want to go to any other iOS except latest, search for directions..u have to create custom IPSW n stitch blobs in...otherwise just plug into iTunes and hit Restore button..

Let me know which u want to do..
    Thanks so much for replying. I have 5.1.1 at the top of the screen in Cydia.

I have to apologize in advance that I am woefully woefully ignorant of these things. IE I don't know what shsh or blobs are/is. So it IS possible to go to 5.1.1 through Cydia and not mess with the factory unlock? I don't care what version of ios I have as long as it's at least 4.3 so I can use my apps that have updated.

So what do I do next? Or just go to my 'guy' and see if he can update through Cydia instead of factory unlocking?

Thank you so much! And I apologize for being pea-brained when it comes to these things.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

Though is not recommended, you can upgrade to the latest firmware and setup as backup restore to save your infos.

Thanks

Well...here is a clip from my tutorial on this... I'm assuming you are not factory or carrier unlocked and need to preserve baseband... I'm wondering what baseband u currently have...it's under settings general about..anyway here it is...I don't unlock so I've not done this myself, but others have followed this and were successful..proceed at your own risk..good luck..this is for 5.1.1
    you need to create no BB IPSW.. You then need to stitch those 5.1.1 blobs into it...then do the pwned DFU mode restore..

This is what I do on my 3GS... I think this works for a 4... This is a slightly modified version of my previous tutorial on 3GS for folks that didn't unlock...this should work for unlocking..at end of course u have to JB and install ultrasn0w as before...I've not done this myself all the way through as I don't unlock, so proceed at own risk. Would like to know I it works though...

This is for preserving baseband and stitching blobs...

1. Download stock iOS 5.1.1 IPSW.
    2. Download redsn0w 0.9.14b2
    3. Run redsn0w as administrator in windows.
    3. Click on Custom IPSW button
    4. Browse to downloaded stock IPSW
    5. Let RS Finish creating no BB IPSW
    6. Click Extras button.
    7. Click SHSH blobs button.
    8. Click Query button to see what blobs Cydia has for device.
    9. If Cydia has required blobs, Click Stitch button.
    10. Click IPSW button-browse for previously created 5.1.1 no BB IPSW file NOT the stock one.
    11. Click Blobs-Cydia button to stitch remote Cydia stored blobs to IPSW.(or could do local if you have
    them local).
    12. Let Process and finish. It will take a few minutes.
    13. Click Back button-Click Pwned DFU to put in pwned DFU mode-follow onscreen instructions.
    14. Once in pwned DFU mode, close redsn0w, launch iTunes.
    15. iTunes will see device in "recovery" mode. Click Check button.
    16. Hold down Shift key, click Restore button. Browse to that stitched IPSW file
    you created.Select it.
    17. Wait for restore to finish as normal. Restore from your backup or not. JB as normal. Install ultrasn0w from Cydia....Enjoy!