+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restoring but keeping unlock

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello everyone Im new here I have an iphone 4, given to me from my friend. the phone is 5.1 (9b176) baseband (04.12.01) and its already UNLOCKED and JAILBROKEN. However
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Restoring but keeping unlock
    Hello everyone

Im new here

I have an iphone 4, given to me from my friend. the phone is 5.1 (9b176) baseband (04.12.01) and its already UNLOCKED and JAILBROKEN. However i want to restore it to being fresh new, but still keep the unlock.

How do i do that, please help.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,054 Times in 4,200 Posts

Ya will need to perserve ya baseband with snow breeze

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Ya will need to perserve ya baseband with snow breeze
    Please be more specific, I'm new to this.

Thank you!

Thanks

4.12.01 is not a unlockable baseband unless the phone is factory unlocked. If its factory unlocked, the phone will always stay unlocked no matter what. So you won't need to preserve the baseband.

Since the phone has been jail broken before, run tiny umbrella to see which shsh blobs has already been saved. Choose the firmware u want and restore it to that one. Use the latest redsn0w to restore. That way, you won't have to worry about any errors in iTunes trying to restore.

Once you have the phone restored, run redsn0w to jailbreak it.

Which firmware are you wanting to restore too?
    Last edited by Southern128; 11-08-2012 at 02:25 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Southern128 View Post
    4.12.01 is a unlockable baseband unless the phone is factory unlocked. If its factory unlocked, the phone will always stay unlocked no matter what. So you won't need to preserve the baseband.

Since the phone has been jail broken before, run tiny umbrella to see which shsh blobs has already been saved. Choose the firmware u want and restore it to that one. Use the latest redsn0w to restore. That way, you won't have to worry about any errors in iTunes trying to restore.

Once you have the phone restored, run redsn0w to jailbreak it.

Which firmware are you wanting to restore too?
    Thank you so much for your information

However it has already been unlocked by a shop, it is not factory unlocked. also jailbroken.

I dont want to lose this unlock, unless i can restore it and unlock it myself, which i think after researching here, its not possible.

And i have cydia on it, however when i open it, it crashes right away.

I want to restore it to either the same firmware or 5.1.1

Awaiting your replies

Thanks

I'm sorry, I noted 4.12.01 is a unlockable baseband, my correction it's not. Unless its factory unlocked.

If cydia is crashing, you can re run the jailbreak over the existing jailbreak. It won't damage nothing on your device but fix the crashing issue.

Since apple stop signing 5.1.1, restore your device back to 5.1 preserve your baseband. You can either use redsn0w or snowbreeze to preserve it. It will make it into a custom firmware. I would suggest using the latest redsn0w to restore your device. iTunes acts funny with a custom firmware but its still possible.

I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4 and my baseband was 4.12.01 until I upgrade to iOS 6 and it updated to 4.12 02. But since my iPhone is factory unlocked, I can never lose my unlock. Are you use you not factory unlocked?
    Have you ever checked your IMEI numbers on your phone, it will tell you everything about your device. There are many websites that will let you check it for free.
    Last edited by Southern128; 11-08-2012 at 02:55 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I noted 4.12.01 is a unlockable baseband, my correction it's not. Unless its factory unlocked.

If cydia is crashing, you can re run the jailbreak over the existing jailbreak. It won't damage nothing on your device but fix the crashing issue.

Since apple stop signing 5.1.1, restore your device back to 5.1 preserve your baseband. You can either use redsn0w or snowbreeze to preserve it. It will make it into a custom firmware. I would suggest using the latest redsn0w to restore your device. iTunes acts funny with a custom firmware but its still possible.
    You're insights are amazing, thank you so much.

Might I add, do you know of any tutorials?

And let me get this straight for a procedure:

1) Jailbreak it again using .. what program?
    2) Save the SHSH Blobs using tiny umbrella.. How?
    3) Download the 5.1 firmware
    4) Download the latest redsnow
    5) Run a custom ipsw (to not update the baseband)
    6) Run the phone and go to Cydia

Then what?

I really appreciate your effort

I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4 and my baseband was 4.12.01 until I upgrade to iOS 6 and it updated to 4.12 02. But since my iPhone is factory unlocked, I can never lose my unlock. Are you use you not factory unlocked?
    Have you ever checked your IMEI numbers on your phone, it will tell you everything about your device. There are many websites that will let you check it for free.
    Good news, i checked on 4 different websites, and they all said Unlock. Do i follow a different procedure now?
    Last edited by HamzaAlSadr; 11-08-2012 at 03:44 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    if its factory unlocked then you can just restore it