Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Previously jailbroken 3GS won't activate after AT&T official unlock--No SIM error

Default Previously jailbroken 3GS won't activate after AT&T official unlock--No SIM error
    My 3GS was previously jailbroken on iOS 5.1.1, and unlocked with ultrasn0w. Worked great on GoPhone and Telcel (in Mexico). I submitted an official unlock request to AT&T, and they approved it--told me to restore it in iTunes to complete the unlock. I backed up the phone, then hit the Restore button in iTunes. The restore completed successfully, but now I get the "There is no SIM card in the iPhone you are trying to activate" message. The iPhone shows the Connect to iTunes screen. I have tried this on my MacBook with Mountain Lion and iTunes 10.7 and on my wife's notebook with Windows 7 and iTunes 10.7. I've tried several USB cables and different USB ports on both computers. I have also taken the SIM out, cleaned it, and reinserted it. What next?

Duane

Thanks
    Thanked 10,178 Times in 6,197 Posts

You could try using tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery mode, do you have a sim card it it? I know, silly question, but one must be in the phone to complete the activation once unlocked.

Yes, I have tried with both an AT&T (GoPhone) sim and with a Telcel sim, both of which were activated and working fine.

A detail I skipped over in first post is that the first time I tried the restore in iTunes, I got an error message saying the restore was unsuccessful; I believe it was a "this device is not eligible for this build" error, and the phone was in recovery mode. I turned the phone off, put it in DFU mode, and did the restore again. This time the restore was successful, but the phone is in an unactivated state. (It asks for the language, country or region, connects to my wifi, and then tries to activate. If connected to iTunes for the activation, I get the no-sim-card error I mentioned above. If over wifi, the phone gives an error saying the activation server is temporarily unavailable.

Oh, and by the way, I removed all mentions of gs.apple.com from my hosts files on both computers.

Duane

Edit: I just tried FixRecovery43 and here is the result, repeated over and over:

opening device 05ac:1281...
    Setting to configuration 1
    Setting to interface 0:0
    libusb:error [get_endpoints] error getting pipe information for pipe 1: unknown error
    libusb:error [darwin_set_interface_altsetting] could not build endpoint table
    Device must be in DFU mode to continue
    Last edited by dbender; 10-09-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Update: I went to a local cellular repair store to see if they could fix this issue. According to the owner, the problem is that my phone was on the iPad baseband 6.15.0. During the iTunes restore, the software is first upgraded to iOS 6.0, and then the firmware is upgraded. But when the firmware upgrade ran into the iPad baseband, it failed with the "this device not eligible for this build" error. He said he could have downgraded the baseband while I was on 5.1.1, but now that I'm (I guess) on 6.0, their is no way (yet) to downgrade the baseband. So unless someone has different information, I guess this 3GS goes in a drawer until a new downgrade process becomes available.

Duane

Thanks
    Thanked 10,178 Times in 6,197 Posts

Yup, you'll have to wait since you have the iPad baseband.

Try this procedure. Credit to Simon.

"Go back to 4.1 (easiest firmware to downgrade to) then use redsnow to reflash your iPad baseband.
    Then use redsnow 0.9.14b2 to downgrade your baseband back to a normal baseband. Then you can simply update to 6.0 and the phone can be used ."

If he is on IOS 6 now, how can he go back to any previous IOS. No Cydia, no saved SHSH ........
    Or he can try to install that tethered jailbreak for developers and manualy install Cydia.....hmmmmmm maybe, but risky

On 3GS only you can restore to 4.1 without SHSH blobs.

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    On 3GS only you can restore to 4.1 without SHSH blobs.
    +1 no one thought of that , I would recommend that, restore to 4.1 and downgrade the baseband using redsn0w

Default My iPhone 3GS won't activate after ATT unlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyzz83 View Post
    +1 no one thought of that , I would recommend that, restore to 4.1 and downgrade the baseband using redsn0w
    I bought an iPhone 3GS from a Sears associate reseller that was jailbroken and unlocked. I requested and was granted an ATT unlock and connected to iTunes did the software update and could not activate the phone, either through iTunes or by wifi. I got the server temporarily unavailable message. I am in Colombia. My girlfriend took the phone to a Comcel associate here in Bogotá. After several attempts and several days he refered us to another Comcel shop. This fellow finally got the phone jailbroken and unlocked. But it is on 4.12 and won't run any apps like Facebook etc., which all require 4.3 or later.

It is versión 4.1 (8B117) Firmware 05.13.04.

Is It possible to unlock the phone using the ATT unlock and upgrading It to Apples latest software?

I really want to get this back to factory and not jailbroken.

Thanks,

Monty

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I run an unlocking business and get this from customers from time to time. The error message you got at the start saying you device isnt eligible for requested build can be addressed by fixing your host files. I would be willing to bet that they are pointed to cydias servers and you do not have ssh files for that ipsw (can be the latest ipsw also and still get that error). I have help many customers of mine with the same error by directing the host files back to apple when they had no clue they had even been changed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monttx12 View Post
    I bought an iPhone 3GS from a Sears associate reseller that was jailbroken and unlocked. I requested and was granted an ATT unlock and connected to iTunes did the software update and could not activate the phone, either through iTunes or by wifi. I got the server temporarily unavailable message. I am in Colombia. My girlfriend took the phone to a Comcel associate here in Bogotá. After several attempts and several days he refered us to another Comcel shop. This fellow finally got the phone jailbroken and unlocked. But it is on 4.12 and won't run any apps like Facebook etc., which all require 4.3 or later.

It is versión 4.1 (8B117) Firmware 05.13.04.

Is It possible to unlock the phone using the ATT unlock and upgrading It to Apples latest software?

I really want to get this back to factory and not jailbroken.

Thanks,

Monty
    It sounds like the ATT unlock was not applied, otherwise why drop back to 4.1 with the 05.13 baseband? That's the last ultrasn0w unlockable baseband for the 3GS. I would hazard a guess that your ATT unlock is still waiting for you! Obviously check the hosts file as suggested. If that is not the issue, did you use a non-ATT sim card? I did my wife's old 3GS and had the ATT sim card in it and it would not work - I had to install a different SIM - thankfully I have some from my travels. My O2 sim from the UK worked and all was fine.

If that fails, you still are not out of luck - before getting the ATT unlock the 3GS was on 4.1 and 05.13 for the ultrasn0w unlock. I used sn0wbreeze to create a custom 5.1.1 ipsw to preserve the baseband at 05.13 - worked fine - reinstalled ultrasn0w from cydia for the unlock then used an original ATT sim to activate and all was good. I know you can use the latest sn0wbreeze to preserve the baseband to upgrade to 6.1.2, but I am not certain that the ultrasn0w unlock is compatible with 6.1.2 yet. Maybe stay at 5.1.1 until you know for sure.
    Last edited by cheme75; 02-23-2013 at 05:10 PM.
    --
    Brick & Mortar Mantra: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Web Mantra: If it ain't broke, fix it anyway!

I have been reading and researching this problem since mid December. I am still not clear on all

this. How did the iPhone baseband get upgraded to an ipad baseband in the first place. When I

bought this phone It was jailbroken and unlocked. I don't recall the versión or the baseband now. I

read about the ATT unlock being available. I filled out the online form and the request was granted.

I received the email from ATT aknowledging the request was granted. In the meantime I had sent

the iPhone to my girlfriend in Colombia. She tried to use It with her Claro (Comcel) SIM. The phone

didn't work. It didn't like the SIM. She took the phone to a Claro vendor who got It working. When I

Joined her in Colombia I connected It to iTunes on a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop Window Server

2000 (Spanish Versión of Vista) and did the restore. The phone would go to the country and language setup screens. It would not activate, only searching, searching, no service. The same on wifi.

We took the phone back to the Claro guy. He couldn't get It to work, so he sent us to another Claro vendor who downgraded the phone to 4.1 and the 05.13.04. It works, but most of the new apps need 4.3 or later.

Now I find reading the internet that with this baseband all I have to do is hook up to ITunes and Viola! I have a factory unlocked phone with the latest versión of software.

I am afraid to try this for fear of locking the phone agian. I have spent more on this than if I had gone to Apple and bought one of their unlocked phones.

Has any one off you done this with success? The phone is the old bottom. And of course she can't use Apple's Imessaging or some of the other things she wants.
    Last edited by Monttx12; 02-23-2013 at 05:29 PM.