Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bypassing activation - iphone 3GS (ios 6)

Default Bypassing activation - iphone 3GS (ios 6)
    I just want to bypass the activation to use my phone for internet, apps etc (us it as an ipod touch).

I guess it´s not possible, it says i dont have a sim installed even though I do. I am abroad and don´t care about network coverage.. im at the end of my tether with apple.

Right now its a paper weight.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Do I have to wait for a genius to come up with a hactivation?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,502 Times in 7,090 Posts

Sounds like you had the ipad baseband installed previously and you updated to 6.0. Is that correct?
    If so first step is restoring to 4.1 since apple stills allows that without needing shsh. Once there you will need to use redsnow to reinstall the iPad baseband. That will set your baseband right. Then if you want you can use redsnow 0.9.14b2 to downgrade your baseband back to a normal baseband so you won't come across this issue again.

Next step after that is up to you, whether you want to just use it as an iPod, or unlock it, or update it.

My phone died (faded to black) a while back while on ios 5 and I put it in for repair. It came back with ios 4 installed and it was working fine, i´m not sure if they used an ipad baseband to get it running again. Thanks for the info, i´m going to try what you suggested, I´ll let you know how I get on.

Ok I have a few more questions.

Should I be in DFU mode to do this?

My serial number shows my phone was produced in the 42nd week of 2009 which leaves it in that weird unknown zone whether it´s ´fixed´or not... Whats the worst that can happen if i get this wrong?

I seem to be on baseband 06.15. I am in Redsn0w, should I be following this tutorial where it says to tick the box ´Downgrade from iPad baseband´ - RedSn0w 0.9.14b1 released with the ability to downgrade baseband 06.15 or should I just tick the box to install ipad baseband?

I guess I should tick ´install cydia´ while im at it.

How do I downgrade the baseband to a ´normal´ one?

I feel like I could have a go at this, but I would be guessing a few steps, and you sound like you know a lot more than me.

Thanks again, really appreciated it.

I just attempted to ask a bunch of questions but I can´t see my post anywhere.

Anyway, should I just tick the box ´install ipad baseband´and install cydia under the jailbreak menu? I guess I need to be in dfu mode to do this?

Also, looking at my serial number my iphone was made in the 42nd week of 2009, so im not sure if my 3gs is ´fixed´or not. I do know that my current baseband is 6.15.00.

After installing ipad baseband, how do I then downgrade my baseband back to normal?

Sorry for all the questions, but your help is much appreciated, thanks again.
    Last edited by dorkwitheyes; 09-27-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,502 Times in 7,090 Posts

First go to 4.1.
    Then install iPad baseband only.
    Then downgrade baseband with redsnow.

You can find out what bootrom you have with idetector.

- Im on 4.1, that worked fine although it´s still locked and automatically boots in recovery mode.
    - idetector says I already have 06.15.00 which is the ipad baseband right?

When I go to redsn0w there is no option to install ipad baseband at first, until I ´select IPSW´, then choose the 4.1 file I installed, which prompts a warning box to appear asking if my 3gs is Fixed or not. It tells me if my phone was made before week 40 of 2009, it wont be fixed, if it was made after week 45 of 2009, it will be fixed. My problem is that my phone was made in week 42, which is a grey area, and results vary.

So, I guess I need to take a 50/50 guess. Once I make the guess and select whether my phone is fixed or not (click yes or no), the option to install ipad baseband then appears.

If I guess wrong (whether its fixed or not), I guess i´ll have a bricked iphone.

Thanks again for your help.

ps. since 06.15.00 baseband is already installed, maybe I just need to downgrade the baseband with redsn0w?

it worked (the last part) thanks
    Last edited by dorkwitheyes; 09-27-2012 at 01:29 PM.