+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone activation

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi have had to restore my iphone 3gs and now need to activate the iphone again. I am using a different sim (and network) to the one that originally came
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi have had to restore my iphone 3gs and now need to activate the iphone again. I am using a different sim (and network) to the one that originally came with the phone. When i try to reactivate the phone it says that no sim is inserted even though my sim card is in. Do i need to use the same sim card network as the one which the phone originally had or is there a way around this as i no longer have that sim card.
    Thanks

I do have a friends O2 sim card (which is the same carrier as the original sim for the phone). If i use this card to activate the phone will i lose the data on the sim card? As it is a friends sim card i dont want to lose the data on it but thought i may be able to use it just to activate the phone so i can use my sim card in it again.
    Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by iphonehelp9; 09-24-2012 at 05:18 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Is this phone unlocked? If it is, is it a factory unlock or an ultrasn0w "unlock"?
    Nothing should happen to your friend's sim if you're just using it to activate the phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

the phone was unlocked, via cydia not a factory unlock, but since having to restore the settings it seems to have deleted the unlock as the sim i had unlocked it to is no longer recognised. I assume i will have to unlock it again once i have activate the phone.
    so if i use my mates sim to unlock it it should still keep their data on their sim, it wont transfer it to my phone or wipe it off during the reactivation/restore?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

If you updated your baseband when doing your restore, the ultrasn0w might not work anymore.
    What you could try is to use redsn0w to hacktivate it, then ultrasn0w unlock it, and then undo the activation to see if that will stick.
    No, the data on the sim won't transfer unless you initiate it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok so if i use redsn0w to hacktivate it will that mean i wont need a sim from the original network? will it allow me to activate the phone by just using my sim card?