Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone unlock issues

Default iphone unlock issues
    I think I made a mistake. I bought 2 iphones for my wife and I before moving to Nepal from the US with intentions to unlock them on arriving. However I'm finding this may be impossible, and was hoping some people who knew what they were doing could confirm this.

1- iphone 4s 5.1.1 baseband 2.0.12, originally on AT&T (GSM). Easily jailbroken, and tried to unlock using SAM, and was able to get new wireless signal (Ncell is the carrier here) but was not able to make calls, then had error messages about invalid SIM, and was not able to sync until I reset all of the changes I made with SAM.

2- iphone 4s 6.0 baseband 3.0.00, originally on Verizon (CDIM). Multiple issues with this phone, no jailbreak for 6.0, and not sure I can use CDIM internationally.

Is it possible to downgrade the iOS and then jailbreak/ unlock these? Are there methods out there I don't know about? Or should I just count my losses, and mail these phones back to the states.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,546 Times in 7,107 Posts

ATT you can get unlocked with a site like officialunlocks.com
    The verizon one you may be out of luck. You could have used a gevey sim on it if you were on 5.1.1 but there is no way for you to downgrade now since Apple stopped signing 5.1.1.

Based on what I read, it looks like I could upgrade the AT&T phone to 6.0 and still be able to use the official unlock. Does that sound right?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,546 Times in 7,107 Posts

Yup, once officially unlocked you can update just fine.