+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock without restoring...which method to use? Redsn0w or SAM ?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have an iPhone 4S that came in mail today. I had applied for unlock and the phone is unlocked now as per the IMEI checkers and the seller. Now
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Default Unlock without restoring...which method to use? Redsn0w or SAM ?
    I have an iPhone 4S that came in mail today. I had applied for unlock and the phone is unlocked now as per the IMEI checkers and the seller. Now i wish to get the unlock applied to the phone and i do not wish to restore it.
    What i plan to do is to insert a tmobile SIM and connect phone to iTunes and expect Congrats message.

But in the event the message does not come or i feel the unlock on device has not yet happened, what method i should use to get the message ?

One method i got is from the following link...

Here's How To Unlock Your AT&T iPhone Without Losing Jailbreak | Redmond Pie

This method uses Redsn0w to deactivate the phone and then activate using iTunes.

Another method i found is from the following link..

UNLOCK 'In-Contract/Out of Contract' iPhones (3G, 3GS, 4, 4S) without Restoring!!!

This involves jailbreaking the phone (if not already JBken) and install SAM to deactivate the phone and then activate using iTunes.

Which method is preferable ? Or there is no difference and i can use any of these ?

iPhone? More like MyPhone mindblown's Avatar
    Thanks

if your already jailbroken just install sam. its a faster process
    and yes you can use any method.

their is no prefered method nor difference in between them it is based on what your situation is Jailbroken (SAM method) or Not JB (Redsn0w). But with redsn0w you still can use that method even when your JB. It is just personal preference on whether you choose which method you want to use, they both end with the same result anyway

dont worry about the congrats message sometimes i don't get it too when i restore my phone

to know you are unlock:

- if your phone activates with an unauthorized sim EX. Tmobile, its unlocked.
    - if your settings on General>About "Network" says a different carrier than at&t, its unlocked
    also the "Carrier" would change too
    Last edited by mindblown; 09-20-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks
    Ok thanks for the information.

There is just one thing that scares me....will the phone activate fine after i deactivate it ?

iPhone? More like MyPhone mindblown's Avatar
    Thanks

after you know its unlock, yeah it will activate fine like normal. nothing else changes except the fact that you can use any carrier you want.
    but then again if your phone gets relock... thats a different story lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tried with redsnow on your link but when I plug my 4S in and run redsnow the jailbreak button is not active.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

SAM worked like a charm. Even got the Congratulation message.

Thanks

i get no service when putting in my simcard... im guessing i have to restore/update or w/e